DRZ 400 low compression need ideas

Posted (edited)

I picked up a '01 400 kicker last year for $1,100 - a picture is worth a thousand words! I rebuilt the flat side carb and checked the valve clearances, all were within spec. I didnt compression test it at the time. I rode the bike last year several time on trails, also titled it and ripped it on the street a little bit. It ran pretty good for what it is (it never left me stranded) but I noticed it started to run a little choppy toward the end of last year. Fast forward to this year after sitting for several months-- try to start bike, wont start. Put a new plug in and yanked the carb cleaned it, the bike would start for about a second then die. Kick starter felt too easy.

I then compression tested after yanking the manual decomp. Readings were 30-60. When kicking without the plug there didnt seem to be much compression by feel or sound. I then put a couple caps of oil in the cylinder and kicked it/compression tested. It tested around 120 and compression NOTICABLY improved. It started for a couple seconds then died. Compression dropped and kick starter back to "limp". I'm planning to do a leak down test tomorrow but I'm suspecting bad rings, etc.? I'm guessing this bike doesn't have a ton of miles as it was never titled and was a dirt model. I know everyone is going to say get a big bore kit. I'll go that route if I have to replace the cylinder/piston but otherwise I'd like to do this on the cheap! I'm a competent mechanic and have built many engines but its been a while since I've had the top end off a bike.

A few questions:

What else should I try/check before I tear this thing down?

Assuming the piston/cylinder is still in good shape is a cylinder deglaze/rering an option? I read these cylinders cannot be bored. Is this a common fix for this type of problem?

What brand parts should I look for? I see a wide range of parts are available.

With a big bore kit, what ELSE is necessary? Do the cams need to be changed too? I'd prefer to keep the stock valvetrain.

20180916_183952.jpg

Edited by 68lemans462

You can re-ring, or new piston and rings, or if the is cylinder damaged have it replated and new piston & rings, or you can fit a big bore

Big bore csn be fitted with no other changes for a power boost...might need a smaller main jet

You cant rebore cylinder as it is a plated bore and so has to be replated if damage, there are no oversize pistions anyway because of this

X2 on the above and other than doing a leakdown test, I think the writing is on the wall for bad rings/piston. Check the lower connecting rod for play while you have the piston out as well. I put a Wiseco piston kit in my E and have been happy with it. Also check condition of valves and guides.

Looks like someone titled that bike at some point? I see a rear plate in the picture as well as hybrid street tires and a side view mirror....

X2 on the above and other than doing a leakdown test, I think the writing is on the wall for bad rings/piston. Check the lower connecting rod for play while you have the piston out as well. I put a Wiseco piston kit in my E and have been happy with it. Also check condition of valves and guides.
Looks like someone titled that bike at some point? I see a rear plate in the picture as well as hybrid street tires and a side view mirror....
Yes indeed... I am the one who titled it