Ripped out petcock repair

The petcock was ripped out of the Acerbis plastic tank.

The screw holes look a little mangled. Should I try to repair them with something like epoxy and drill through or just use bigger screws?

IMG_3272.jpg

The petcock was ripped out of the Acerbis plastic tank.
The screw holes look a little mangled. Should I try to repair them with something like epoxy and drill through or just use bigger screws?
IMG_3272.thumb.jpg.21037e3f14158d5e49b324a1a15d1d03.jpg

Sounds like a good idea - I just don’t know how well epoxy holds up to gasoline. Or which epoxy would hold up for that matter. I’m sure someone will have a good idea.

Email Acerbis and see what they have to say, otherwise I would clean up the flange and just use slightly larger machine screws and fresh gaskets.

How badly damaged are the holes, do they expose the inside of the tank?

• Like 1

Harbor freight has plastic welding kits I believe. Essentially a modified hot knife with a way to feed plastic filler. If bigger screws don't work I'd try it.

Posted (edited)

Once the gas tank has had fuel in it, the plastic welder is pretty much a no go.  There is too much contamination to get it to hold correctly.  Been there, done that.

If the holes are just stripped out, you can sometimes get them to bite again by using a larger screw (will require drilling larger holes in the petcock) or by using something else as an intermediary between the screw and tank, which sometimes can be as simple as a piece of zip tie cut off and laid in the hole to get wedged between the tank and the screw.

In your situation, I would just try to use one size larger screw if at all possible.  Going from the metric screw that was stock to an SAE sized screw will probably get you just enough purchase for it to work and you may not even have to drill anything out.

I have done the severe kind of repair two different ways (say a hole all the way through).  You can fabricate a metal flange with nuts on it to put on the inside of the fuel tank that will let you run bolts through to tighten the petcock to the tank.  I have also done the same by using some "nuts" that were meant to go into wood that sink into the plastic and give you a spot to bolt the petcock down with.

The IMS tank that I did the "pronged tee nut" modification to was so that I could move the fuel petcock from the right hand side of my XR650R to the left hand side.  It has been working flawlessly for over 10 years now, other than I finally had to replace the petcock gasket due to deterioration (along with the gaskets inside the petcock) this spring.  I use a generic fuel petcock gasket from Clarke to go between the tank and petcock.

1652956335_ProngedTeeNut.JPG.1a6edffdcd24ada0b4415569784ba794.JPG

Edited by eastreich

Once the gas tank has had fuel in it, the plastic welder is pretty much a no go.  There is too much contamination to get it to hold correctly.  Been there, done that.
If the holes are just stripped out, you can sometimes get them to bite again by using a larger screw (will require drilling larger holes in the petcock) or by using something else as an intermediary between the screw and tank, which sometimes can be as simple as a piece of zip tie cut off and laid in the hole to get wedged between the tank and the screw.
In your situation, I would just try to use one size larger screw if at all possible.  Going from the metric screw that was stock to an SAE sized screw will probably get you just enough purchase for it to work and you may not even have to drill anything out.
I have done the severe kind of repair two different ways (say a hole all the way through).  You can fabricate a metal flange with nuts on it to put on the inside of the fuel tank that will let you run bolts through to tighten the petcock to the tank.  I have also done the same by using some "nuts" that were meant to go into wood that sink into the plastic and give you a spot to bolt the petcock down with.
The IMS tank that I did the "pronged tee nut" modification to was so that I could move the fuel petcock from the right hand side of my XR650R to the left hand side.  It has been working flawlessly for over 10 years now, other than I finally had to replace the petcock gasket due to deterioration (along with the gaskets inside the petcock) this spring.  I use a generic fuel petcock gasket from Clarke to go between the tank and petcock.

1652956335_ProngedTeeNut.JPG.1a6edffdcd24ada0b4415569784ba794.JPG
Contamination shouldn't be an issue. I've only ever seen blind a screw holes where the petcock attaches. Never had an acerbis tank so there is room for me to be wrong. I didn't have any issues using a plastic welder on my weed eater tank. Decon the thing with dish soap and water. Just .02