XR650L Acerbis 5.8 gal tank is a pain in the @SS!

Got the Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank, even after reading about the difficulties installing it ... i.e. that it's a tight fit. Well, mine is a NO fit. (so far anyway) The right-side bolt that connects the supplied support bracket to the tank's inner tunnel hits the rectifier A LOT. I've tried spreading the tank's sides, and then pushing down very hard, including using a ratchet strap cranked tight, and the tank is still about an inch from the support bar holes lining up with the factory screw holes. Just measured it: 7/8" away on the left side, and 1-1/16" on the right.

And this is even after I unbolted the rectifier just to see if that's what's keeping the tank from dropping down into place. It's not. Here are some pics while the rectifier is unbolted and laying atop the motor out of the way, and with the ratchet strap cranked down on top of the tank. What do y'all think? I'm leaning towards returning it.

IMG_20190416_012429185a.thumb.jpg.998213f5bda38ab45c562424a6306c59.jpg

IMG_20190416_012448606a.thumb.jpg.a5ba41ae4b481a35682cd73c4cadbef8.jpg

IMG_20190416_012501009a.thumb.jpg.31ba105dd9a4077a9bf55cc46ac02488.jpg

IMG_20190416_012516043a.thumb.jpg.f1231ce573a538ebc1250e2a6a97fefd.jpg

I think that's a bit too much, having to ratchet strap it on. Pinched throttle cables and wiring could be a problem. I'd return it.

• Like 2

I was worried about installation for this tank also, but I did end up purchasing.  I got the "clear" tank, not sure if it makes a difference.  Make sure the tank is warm, almost hot when you try it. I used a hair dryer after having it in the sun for hrs.  I can remember spending hrs pushing with my chest, pulling with my arms.  I had my daughter standing on the tank, probably not my best idea. Many blue words and a few hrs of sweat and I got it installed.  Love the tank.  Several months later I had to take the tank off, was dreading it.  But it slipped right off and right back on. I had many thoughts of no way does this fit, but plastic will move and take new shapes.  Good luck - worth the time. 

• Like 1

I just installed mine a few weeks ago, there is a bracket u have to put on the frame before installing the tank. It’s hard to explain but it bolts to the motor mount with the long tube on it. I fought mine for a while and looked up under the tank and the tank wouldn’t not slide past that. I believe it’s to keep it from rocking back and forth. I took the bracket off and the tank went on easier and is super solid without it. Still not sure if that’s what it was for but it was definitely what was holding me up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat.okeefe12 said:

I was worried about installation for this tank also, but I did end up purchasing.  I got the "clear" tank, not sure if it makes a difference.  Make sure the tank is warm, almost hot when you try it. I used a hair dryer after having it in the sun for hrs.  I can remember spending hrs pushing with my chest, pulling with my arms.  I had my daughter standing on the tank, probably not my best idea. Many blue words and a few hrs of sweat and I got it installed.  Love the tank.  Several months later I had to take the tank off, was dreading it.  But it slipped right off and right back on. I had many thoughts of no way does this fit, but plastic will move and take new shapes.  Good luck - worth the time. 

I admit I haven't tried heat yet. I did use a bar of soap to rub all over the inner tunnel to help it slide, but what you see in the pics is all I got ... so far. Heat is next.

23 minutes ago, DCcycleworks said:

I just installed mine a few weeks ago, there is a bracket u have to put on the frame before installing the tank. It’s hard to explain but it bolts to the motor mount with the long tube on it. I fought mine for a while and looked up under the tank and the tank wouldn’t not slide past that. I believe it’s to keep it from rocking back and forth. I took the bracket off and the tank went on easier and is super solid without it. Still not sure if that’s what it was for but it was definitely what was holding me up

I did install that bracket, and it doesn't seem like the tank is hitting it, although not 100% sure. I actually read somewhere on here that Acerbis stopped including that bracket, but since mine came with it I figured I should install it.

BTW I left the ratchet strap on overnight, hoping the tank would begin to give a little and drop down some. It didn't move at all. So I guess my next try is to try to heat it with a hair dryer and see if that moves it. That, and I still need to figure out what to do with the damn rectifier.

I'm not sure this tank is worth all this, when apparently I could've gotten a Clarke with none of these issues ... ?   (and only been 1.1 gallons less)

Why in the world didn't Acerbis address these issues in the beginning??

Posted (edited)

Heat is all you need.  Leave it in the sun or grab a hairdryer and point it into the opening.  I'm pretty sure Acerbis even says that somewhere.  The idea isn't to lubricate it so it slides down, you want to heat it up and spread the tank apart so it fits over.   Your straps are actually doing the opposite of what needs to be done...they are pushing the sides of the tank in, instead of pulling them out.

I installed my first 5.8 a few years ago on my old 650L and I'm about to install another tonight on my new one.

Edited by chrisross
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisross said:

Heat is all you need.  Leave it in the sun or grab a hairdryer and point it into the opening.  I'm pretty sure Acerbis even says that somewhere.  The idea isn't to lubricate it so it slides down, you want to heat it up and spread the tank apart so it fits over.   Your straps are actually doing the opposite of what needs to be done...they are pushing the sides of the tank in, instead of pulling them out.

I installed my first 5.8 a few years ago on my old 650L and I'm about to install another tonight on my new one.

What are you going to do with your rectifier??

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, extrapolator1 said:

What are you going to do with your rectifier??

Same thing I did last time...nothing.  

There are several post on the internet in various places about the tank being close or touching the rectifier.  But no one has reported damage to either component as a result.  That was my experience on my last 650L.

The reason yours is hitting your rectifier is because you're pushing the tank in and down, instead of out and down.

Edited by chrisross

Posted (edited)

It's tricky to put on the first time, yes, but with the right technique it's not bad.  Beyond that, it's 100% the best tank for the pig.  Highest capacity, dual petcocks with reserves gives you plenty of warnings before you actually run out of gas, the red is ever so slightly translucent so you can see the gas if you look really hard, the tank fits the lines of the bike nicely (particularly the down tube, and it meets up to the side covers perfectly), and the shape of the tank imitates the stock shrouds to a degree which helps cool the engine.

That's why I bought the same tank again when I got a new 650L

Edited by chrisross
  • Like 1

One thing I'm considering doing this time is applying truck bedliner to the inside of the "shrouds" and the underside of the tank...just for asthetic purposes.  So that when you look at it from the front, the black would blend with the rest of the bike and look less massive.

One thing I'm considering doing this time is applying truck bedliner to the inside of the "shrouds" and the underside of the tank...just for asthetic purposes.  So that when you look at it from the front, the black would blend with the rest of the bike and look less massive.

I’m not sure that would work out well, vapors vent through the plastic of the tank. I would think it would make it hard for the liner to stick. Not positive tho

2 hours ago, chrisross said:

Same thing I did last time...nothing.  

There are several post on the internet in various places about the tank being close or touching the rectifier.  But no one has reported damage to either component as a result.  That was my experience on my last 650L.

The reason yours is hitting your rectifier is because you're pushing the tank in and down, instead of out and down.

OK, thanks for all your various comments / info ... So my next step is to re-bolt the rectifier on, and apply heat.

Boiling water will soften the plastic evenly...............

if you expand or stretch you need it to give on the other side or it will flex back and fight you...............

I hear it is hard but even high heat the plastics will be forgiving.............

be careful too hot of a gun in one spot will only weaken that spot and possible warping and shining.

I like the idea of the boiling water's uniformity ... but 5 gallons of it! ... and it would go into the petcocks which I've already mounted. Suppose I could remove them for this ... HMMM.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, extrapolator1 said:

I like the idea of the boiling water's uniformity ... but 5 gallons of it! ... and it would go into the petcocks which I've already mounted. Suppose I could remove them for this ... HMMM.

after the water is drained you blow air through add some gas drain and blow air.... it will dry

some even have added boiling water put on a psi top cap to get a 2-3 psi push as well................

It all depends on which way you need the tank to go or to give per say

Edited by EarthCruzn
  • Like 1

I think they make these tanks perfect fit in the hot mold............

but as with the rapid world of today they are removed and never allowed to cool in position to hold perfect form.

They alter a bit................ some abit more.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

after the water is drained you blow air through add some gas drain and blow air.... it will dry

What I meant was, How do you make 5 gals of boiling water, reasonably?! I do have some yard trash to burn. Maybe light that pile with a big metal bucket of water over it.

Oh, and I meant that the boiling water might not do the petcocks any good. As in maybe there's something that could melt. Hopefully not, since there's a hot @ss motor pretty close to them.

Maybe I better bring this water to say 150-175 and see how that goes first. Yeah, maybe 2 gals boiling water (212-ish) dumped into 1-2 gals of tap water, stir and dump that into the tank. Yeah yeah I'm prob over-thinking it.

5 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

I think they make these tanks perfect fit in the hot mold............

but as with the rapid world of today they are removed and never allowed to cool in position to hold perfect form.

They alter a bit................ some abit more.

Prob true. Annoying.

Edited by extrapolator1

212 degrees is boiling ....... you can stove top a gallon or two and oven heat a gallon or two to 200