2000 yz 250 drive gear collar specs

It looks like they aren't the same as the later model.
I looked up the parts for my 2002 which is the same all the way up to the current model.

If you compare the crank cheek part number for that side of the bike from 2000 model to 2002, they appear to be different.
I can give you the dimension from the bearing shoulder to the outside of the spacer in a day or two.  You'll have to subtract the amount between the bearing shoulder and the shaft shoulder on the crank cheek.  That would give you the spacer thickness.

I have a 2010 and 2002 engine to build over the weekend and can take those measurements.   Since the drive gear has to be in the same place, you'll have the info you need.

11 hours ago, eXc said:

is that the same as the 99? if so, I can measure one for you.

Yah, I forgot that you did the 01-02 crank in yours. I knew it was someone close. 

If you don't need it, (and I don't think you ever will) you should just sale/send it to him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markmc2 said:

If you have one made, might as well get them to build extras for you to sell on ebay. I’d suggest getting your hands on an oem one for the shop to copy exactly.

I own/operate a small CNC machine shop.   I'd entertain doing a run of them if someone sent a small sample and there were a handful of them spoken for.  
It's probably a $5 part when it's all said and done.   (I'm assuming the old one doesn't have the internal splines).

20180420_144126.jpg

Edited by cwtoyota
  • Helpful 2

17 minutes ago, cwtoyota said:

I own/operate a small CNC machine shop.   I'd entertain doing a run of them if someone sent a small sample and there were a handful of them spoken for.  
It's probably a $5 part when it's all said and done.   (I'm assuming the old one doesn't have the internal splines).

20180420_144126.jpg

No internal splines, just a chunk of hardened steel. Not sure if Aluminum would hold up. 

Forgot what is harder, 7071, 6065? 

Or is there even a harder Ali than those?

3 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

No internal splines, just a chunk of hardened steel. Not sure if Aluminum would hold up. 

Forgot what is harder, 7071, 6065? 

Or is there even a harder Ali than those?

Aluminum may not be a good idea due to thermal expansion and the fact that it can deform a bit.
Aluminum hardness numbers can be tricky.  The raw material is rather soft, but anodizing makes the surface much harder than steel.
A hardened steel gear or shaft might reach 62 on the Rockwell C scale while the surface of anodized aluminum can get up into the 70's on the C-scale.
Aluminum oxide is used to make grinding wheels and other abrasives.

Cold rolled mild steel should work fine for this spacer.
If hardened, something like 1045 would be better (due to higher carbon content).
The part on the 2002+ models is actually splined for no good reason.  The splines don't extend all the way to the shoulder on the crank shaft.

30 minutes ago, cwtoyota said:

The part on the 2002+ models is actually splined for no good reason.  The splines don't extend all the way to the shoulder on the crank shaft.

Excellent info on Ali. 

Part for 02 up:

It is just to take up space and has followed all the way up into the 2019 model year, and will expand most likely into the future as long as the YZ250 is the same engine design. Really don't see that changing as retooling would not be cost effective since the smokers are the recreational MX bike, and the 4 strokes are the SX/MX bread and butter. Yamaha keeps making the YZ250 because all the other Japanese companies decided to dump the program. LONG LIVE THE YZ SMOKERS... 

:applause:

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Well I looked and I can't find it...I meant to keep it, maybe I threw it by mistake. I'll double check tomorrow if i get time to tidy up my bench, but it's not in my big tub of parts...

On 4/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, CR4life007 said:

Is there anyone that has this part handy for a 2000 yz 250 that can give me some measurements on it. Going to try and have one made at a machine shop.  Thickness, Inside and outside diameter and width. Would be very much appreciated !!!7FBB5C2B-C1ED-4B01-9D57-B0698EF70280.thumb.jpeg.20a28b74c5bd6a70f3e7a4c9f91930ab.jpeg

Are you changing the crank by chance? I'm 99.5% sure you can put 03 up Crank in but will need primary gears, right side seal and flywheel. If it comes to that.

3 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Are you changing the crank by chance? I'm 99.5% sure you can put 03 up Crank in but will need primary gears, right side seal and flywheel. If it comes to that.

I've already told him on 2 stroke YZ250 parts FB page you can use the 01-02 and only have to add the little spline collar and the seal and use his flywheel, it's what Chris "exc" did. You are actually 100% correct and can use to 03, but then you need to add the flywheel, washer and nut. ?

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

I've already told him on 2 stroke YZ250 parts FB page you can use the 01-02 and only have to add the little spline collar and the seal and use his flywheel, it's what Chris "exc" did. You are actually 100% correct and can use to 03, but then you need to add the flywheel, washer and nut. ?

I'm getting stuff in order(no hurry) to go that route just so I only need one back up Crank kit :applause:laying around that'll fit mine and sons

5 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm getting stuff in order(no hurry) to go that route just so I only need one back up Crank kit :applause:laying around that'll fit mine and sons

I've got an 03 up flywheel washer nut when you are ready. I could also have a 03 crank with a ProX rod on it built by Crank Works if needed. 

No core needed, unless you have an 03 crank. Can be wiseco or hotrods, ProX rod doesn't care about stuffers and halves. You know the drill if you have a core. ?

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Helpful 1