Thoughts on TTR125

Hello I’m looking at getting a ttr125 for my almost 15 year old son. He is about 5’5 and 126lbs. He’s a very chill rider nothing crazy and isn’t looking for competition just trails. Do y’all have any thoughts on that bike? Thanks!

My son likes his, still rides it at 17 yrs 5'5" 130 LBS. I bought him a YZ125 but he doesn't like the tall seat. He is a timid rider, just likes open trails/roads. The TTR230 is kinda inbetween the two, and the TTR line is bulletproof. If he just wants to poke around look at the TTR125 or TTR230. Ours is an 01 and was around $900. Air filters, engine oil, chain/sprockets, and fork seals are all we have done to it. 

They are fun to putter around on. I have one that I drive around the yard when my son wants a ride. The wr450 is to big for my 1.5 acre yard. Ttr125 is fun when going is slow

Bought on for my son last year. It is a great little bike. He hit a growth spurt and is now about 5'9" and about 140lbs He can still ride it just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They hold their value and if you maintain it, you should lose no money when or if you choose to sell it.

Check out Torture Test Magazine on YouTube. He gives a great review. You can also check out our videos. 

Posted (edited)

That's funny when people say they ride them slow.  There's an article in Dirt Rider Magazine with the editor on a 450 and Ryan Hughes on a DRZ125, by the end of the first lap, Ryno caught and past him.  The key to riding them, is to never shut off through corners.  On little tracks they rule and they can do most any trail. But, it take more effort.  I used to go all day and never get past on any Vet track around here.  Albeit, it had a150cc kit and suspension and that was when two-stroke were about 1/2 the bikes.  Now, I can barely make it out of the van.  

Edited by socalxr