Ktm 690 smc r owners question

Just bought one.  My TC will not go off and on when I press on the TC switch on left handlebar.  The TC light just stays on, meaning it is off.  I've tried it with motor off and with motor on in neutral, holding the button for 1 to 10 seconds.  Nothing happens.  The ride mode will go to 1 or 2 when I press mode.  Something I'm missing here?

Also, someone stated the quickshifter is a software upgrade.  Mine seems shift up and down OK without the clutch.  Anyone know if it needs additional software upgrade to work properly?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Ok, answered it for myself.  Called KTM, left a message.  Apparently this is a new electrical issue they just became aware of this week, and they are currently having their engineers trouble shoot it.  Right now I have mode 2 without abs, which is what I want.  But can’t change the TC setting.

KTM states they will contact me with the fix.

Edited by mdragon

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mdragon said:

Just bought one.  My TC will not go off and on when I press on the TC switch on left handlebar.  The TC light just stays on, meaning it is off.  I've tried it with motor off and with motor on in neutral, holding the button for 1 to 10 seconds.  Nothing happens.  The ride mode will go to 1 or 2 when I press mode.  Something I'm missing here?

Also, someone stated the quickshifter is a software upgrade.  Mine seems shift up and down OK without the clutch.  Anyone know if it needs additional software upgrade to work properly?

Thanks.

Mine was behaving the same way and I haven't always been able to turn it off when i tried a few times prior, but yesterday it magically switched off when i tried. I was idling at a light in neutral and tried it, hands off the throttle, held the button for 3 seconds, removed finger, waited a moment, then the TC light came on.  first time i rolled on the gas with it off the front end floated up into a long wheelie that i had to tell myself to put down...     By the way, you've got it backwards; When TC is on, the light is off, when TC is off, the TC light turns on.

Edited by Kwota

Have you heard anything back from KTM yet? My bike is also doing the same thing. Goes in between map 1 & 2 no problem. But TC on and off is an issue. 

Hey guys, having same issues with TC settings.I did find out though that TC and ABS seem to be connected  because when my TC light would stay on I stopped, held ABS button until it flashed once,turned key off and on again, took off and everything worked as should...TC light went off and I could then toggle off and on with throttle closed.I still feel though something isn't right because I read a review stating TC and ABS are separate and can be controlled independently.My dealer is looking in to it also...hope this helps.

Posted (edited)

Here’s what I have found works.  Seems like a software glitch. 

My my bike will switch tc on and off with the following.  Rolling along the road, pull clutch in, reach across and press tc button and hold for 4 to 5 seconds.  

Or...start bike, out in neutral, press the tc button rapidly 5 or 6 times, then hold down the tc button for 5 seconds. 

Obviously something is glitched, but this has worked for me.

The abs can be turned off by the following;

the bike must go faster than  5km an hour. The stop, put in neutral, and hold down the abs button on triple tree for 3 to 4 seconds.  The abs orange light illuminates and you are good to go.  

Not it sure why ktm would make a system that at default prevents stoppies and wheelies on a bike made for it.  

The doggle that can be bought defaults bike to no rear abs, and front abs that allows stoppies.

pn is: 60312953000

Edited by mdragon

Posted (edited)

Ok, change to the above.  It seems the bike cares less about the pressing the tc quickly, and more with the bike having to hit 4 or 5 mph.  Once you hit that speed and stop, the tc button and the abs button now work.  Stupid...a bug...but this seems to work every time.

by this I mean the bike can’t have tc button work if you just turn on the bike without moving it at 5mph first and then stopping.  Some pointless safety feature preventing I don’t know what

Edited by mdragon

I noticed that traction control seems to work as it's supposed to until I try turning ABS off

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the first service done on mine this weekend. The 2019 feels like a better version of my 2010. If you want to turn your bike into a wheeling beast (TC has anti-wheelie/anti-spin for better drive out of corners), this is the procedure to turn off TC:

1. Start the bike. The TC/ABS and ride mode lights will all be on. This is normal. Let the bike idle and warm up. I wait until I can feel some heat from the exhaust on my hand just to ensure that the oil has lubed up everything in the head.

2. Once warm, slip the clutch and start riding. The bike needs to roll a bit and get a bit faster than a jogging pace for the lights to turn off. Accelerate until the ABS and TC lights go off (to let you know that they're functioning), and then once they're off, this is the point that TC can be switched off. Pull over to a stop, clutch in, and hold the top TC button for 3-5 seconds with no throttle (I've been pulling over and reaching over with my right thumb since my left is holding the clutch in), and then remove your finger from the TC button and there's a slight pause and the TC light will light up just below it, signifying that its off.

3. Release your inner savage and switch over to Map 2 for the supermoto map and unleash the beast

On another note, I've noticed that I have to adjust my shift lever position on its spindle, as per the manual, as I've had the bike pop out of first gear a few times from what I assume is due to bumping and activating the quick shifter lever with my foot while the front was coming up... 

Edited by Kwota

I had a similar issue, after I read the manual it answered a lot of my questions. Now, I just discovered an oil leak from the crank shaft yesterday so am dealing with that. 

IMG_20190727_113852.jpg