Engine rattle

Hey guys

Went out riding this morning for a few hours- say 2.5 to adjust clutch cable and practice powerwheelies?will be going out again later this afternoon.

Noticed a strange sound this morning when changing transmision oil. Will post video in facebook link below. Please let me know if it works.

It seems to be comming from waterpump area. Happens randomly while riding but intensifies when leaned to the right... any ideas would be greatly apreciated. After I ride again later ill empty fluids an pull whole right side case.

Just have a different bike apart already and want to get it together before starting any more projects.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161637880690022&id=728590021

Sounds like a small piece of metal banging around under the right side case. Did you open it up yet? Hopefully not a chipped tooth off of the kickstart.

Took the case off nothing in there. My water pump shaft was prettr thrashed and even inside the counterbalance shaft seemed rounded/ oblonged. Theres also significant play in the balancer shaft. I had just replaced the clutch basket and waterpump water and oil seals. And after putting back together and firing up the sound was there.

Also theres a nick in the case where the balancer shaft weight spins you can see in the picture.

Maybe thats from the free play in the shaft? The gears dont seem worn down at all.

Went through the oil nothing there. Been pouring oil on the clutch plates every few hours just my paranoia i guess hopefully when the new parts come in tomorow and monday that will solve the problem. Gonna start taking it apart when i get spanner tool and blind bearing pooler

I replaced the oil and water seal while doing the clutch basket a week or two ago because it was leaking from the eep whole and then this sound started. I dint beleive the skid plate was on whwn i took the video.

I also noticed that the impeller shaft and bearing on the water pump makes a nasty sound while spining if it isnt qwite flush. Dont know if its rhe exact sound will investigste later but i ordered the parts for that as well.

14 hours ago, KinGLizzErd said:

Yea in the video the skid plate is on tbe ground next to the bike

My point is, the water pump isnt big enough to make much noise. If you want to better understand the interface between the water pump impeller shaft and the balancer shaft, you find that the WP shaft fits very loosely inside the balancer shaft. There isn't an "axle" style relation ship between those two.

If you've got a huge noise coming from that side of the engine, it's probably coming out of the clutch, or the kicker idler gear pinion, or the skid plate rattling on the frame.

Ok that helps alot actually. So most likely its something not put back together correctly when i put in the new clutch basket?

The kicker gear was a little tight to the basket with that thin spacer in between. But there is no play whatsoever in the clutch.

Theres is some strange wear on the outter clurch pressure plate but that wouldnt sound like a loose piece of metal or screw bouncing around in there.

After dissasembling the clutch i noticed the center rod had a lot of wear deep down on the shaft.

15557253559397995210626430394304.jpg

Shawn_Mc thank you for all the input i cant explain how thankful i am. I have a manyal but personal experience def helps me more. There are marks on the inside of case where the balancer weight is. any idea on what caused that? 

15557277403494707313598263590975.jpg

Those marks look like casting flaws to me. If that balancer bearing was bad enough to allow the balancer weight to actually touch the case, that piece of the case would be laying on a trail somewhere. And that scuff on the pressure plate could have been made by anything. If you look at the scuff, it's not rotational. It's like it got kicked across the garage floor.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:00 AM, KinGLizzErd said:

The noise in this vid sounds like the kicker idler gear to me, like it's not getting properly oiled. Like it's oscillating around the pinion instead of spinning concentrically.

• Like 1

Interesting. Ill look up what i can find out in the manual and online. 

When in first gear moving slow on right hand turn i can hear it and then it dissapears when i straighten back up but every once in a while while vertical it will make the sound, very intermittently. If that helps i dunno.

its driving me crazy. Ran great last season. Sat all winter then went to start and change fluids for this season. Notice leak from wp weepwhole-additionally couldnt get into gear from nutral without stall. Changed water seal clutch basket+innerhub, plates, c cable and bang strange clinkedy clink when leaning to the right side.

Those marks look like casting flaws to me. If that balancer bearing was bad enough to allow the balancer weight to actually touch the case, that piece of the case would be laying on a trail somewhere. And that scuff on the pressure plate could have been made by anything. If you look at the scuff, it's not rotational. It's like it got kicked across the garage floor.
The noise in this vid sounds like the kicker idler gear to me, like it's not getting properly oiled. Like it's oscillating around the pinion instead of spinning concentrically.
Kicker- oval holes
Shawn MC knows wassup.
That's why it's a lean right thing.