Need a dedicated dirt tire.. Suggestions?

I'm currently running the Shinko 244 "golden boy" tires on my DRZ 400. These tires do well both on road (and the price is GREAT) and off but I'd like more off road traction. I've picked up a separate set of wheels and want to put dedicated dirt tires on them. I know this is a heavily debated topic but I'd like honest opinions. I've seen that some guys like the Dunlop D606, Kenda Trackmaster, etc...  I'm wondering what the most cost effective overall setup is for dirt/trail/dirt road riding. Also, what size on the rear tire?

The Dunlop D606 is overrated. The rear is decent but the front sucks. Everything I've tried has been better, including the Trakmaster II. For the front, the best tires I've used are the Pirelli Scorpion Pro and Scorpion XCMH. Thus far, my favorite rear tire has been the Kenda Washougal, but that's not a DOT tire.

Posted (edited)

Thanks alot for your suggestions this is exactly the type of info I'm seeking!  I dont care if this tire is DOT (actually I'm thinking it would be better if its not). These tires will never touch pavement!  I'm looking for the most agressive/best traction dirt ONLY tire. Not the best dual sport tire. I'll keep the current set of rims for the DOT tires. I like the looks of the Kenda Washougal II... 

What size is recommended for the rear tire? 120/100x18? 

Edited by 68lemans462

53 minutes ago, 68lemans462 said:

Thanks alot for your suggestions this is exactly the type of info I'm seeking!  I dont care if this tire is DOT (actually I'm thinking it would be better if its not). These tires will never touch pavement!  I'm looking for the most agressive/best traction dirt ONLY tire. Not the best dual sport tire. I'll keep the current set of rims for the DOT tires. I like the looks of the Kenda Washougal II... 

What size is recommended for the rear tire? 120/100x18? 

That might my one of the most subjective topic's discussed on Thumper Talk :)

Rear - IMO On my CRF250R I've been using a Shinko 505 Cheater 110/100x18 and these things hookup like crazy and have been really surprising durable for where/how I ride in the PNW in a wide variety of terrain (not the track) at 6ish to 12ish PSI with UHD tubes. I bought a Shinko 525 Cheater 110/100x18 last summer to try something different but still haven't put it on cus the 505 is still working. The price is right on both of them.

Then are are other Hybrid options from Shinko and then the Ibex, Motoz etc and then the price goes up with Golden Tyre, Mitas etc and those are classed as hard enduro tires. There are lots of topics in the DB general and specifically lots of info in this topic.

I like the 110/100 x 18 but have not tried a 120 and not sure if I could tell the difference but IMO PSI makes a huge difference with how a tire performs in different terrain and I like to try them at lower PSI's and am constantly supervised on how they can work better. I've have not pinch flatted any tire in like 6 years but this gets into a different topic.

Front - I bought a Shinko 546 90/100 x 21 when I bought the 505 and IMO its and OK tire but I have to run it at 6ish to 10ish PSI but think I'm going to buy a Shinko MX216 90/100-21 which is there FATTY before I put on the 525.

https://www.shinkotireusa.com/

Otherwise we live a a great time for tire options and IMO you have to buy/try them for where and how you ride (play with PSI) to find out how they are going to work for you.

Good luck.

Kenda Trackmaster 760, I've worn out a few of the 110/100, rarely lets me down. They are cheap but don't last long on asphalt. I do pinch flat at anything much less than 16 psi, which can be a real b*itCH ....especially when 79 km from civilization and only 500 feet from a roaring forest fire ........with a gaggle of HUGE water bombers circling overhead and dropping close by.

But such is the stuff of memories, eh?