XR400 Standard Maintenance Items to Have on Hand

I picked up a XR400 the other day. What do I need to have on hand for standard maintenance? 

I was thinking 

-A couple spark plugs

-Air Filter, was thinking about buying a Uni and keep the old one as a spare

-Filter cleaner and filter oil? Any tips on what works best would be awesome

-A couple oil filters

-Oil, what do you guys recommend?

Anything else I'm missing? 

Thanks,

Tusk, Twin Air or whatever they have at Rocky Mountain MC is the oil filter I use. They're all pretty much the same. If you have Dawn and/or Oxiclean, you have filter cleaner.

I've been using the spray on No Toil filter oil.

I'd buy at least 2 UNI and forget using the stock one again, even for back up. The UNI flows better and you often need to rejet for it, so swapping back and forth between the two wouldn't be a good idea.

Waterproof bearing grease.

Chain oil. I like Silkolene spray on.

WD40

Anti Seize and thread locker blue.

Be sure to remove the swingarm, linkage and steering head bearings and slather them with that grease Trailryder mentioned. Do it now!

-You don't need to keep spark plugs on hand, even two stroke guys don't do that anymore. Change it every year or so and call it good.

-I have the UNI air filter on mine, its good, I use the No-Toil cleaner and oil with it, clean every few rides.

-I change the oil and filter every 200 miles of trail riding, use the OEM filters and the Honda 10W40 in the black quarts, the cheap stuff.

-Stay on top of the valve checks and adjustments. I check mine every time I change the oil, take the tank off and its super easy to do with the Motion Pro gauge. XR's are a pig to start if the valve adjustment starts to go bad.

-Depending on the year and mileage of your bike, check/replace the swing arm and linkage bearings. Adjust the steering stem bearings regularly, it's hard to overstate how much having them correctly adjusted improves handling, especially on tight trails. When they get even a little loose, the bike wants to tuck the front tire under you all the time. Not a big deal on newer bikes, but the fork angle on the XR is pretty vertical, and feels really squirrely with even slightly loose bearings. 

-Also, these are pretty old bikes now, do yourself a favor and change the fork oil, seals, and bushings, and do the compression stack mod while you're in there.

8 hours ago, BrianXR400R said:

-Stay on top of the valve checks and adjustments. I check mine every time I change the oil, take the tank off and its super easy to do with the Motion Pro gauge. XR's are a pig to start if the valve adjustment starts to go bad.

Out of curiosity, how many times do you end up making adjustments?  I'm new to owning an XR4 but I've been around these and other XR's for a lot of years, and that seems way excessive to me.

1 hour ago, cowboyona426 said:

Out of curiosity, how many times do you end up making adjustments?  I'm new to owning an XR4 but I've been around these and other XR's for a lot of years, and that seems way excessive to me.

Rarely. It's just so easy to check, I literally do it while the oil is draining. I figure I go about 20 hours / 200 miles between oil changes and valve checks, which seems about right to me. The manual calls for a valve check every 600 miles, but I since I rarely even hit third gear, I shorten that up a lot.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, BrianXR400R said:

-I change the oil and filter every 200 miles of trail riding, use the OEM filters and the Honda 10W40 in the black quarts, the cheap stuff.

I used to think I was fanatical about my oil changes in my '79 xr250. I would change it every 100 trail miles. It only took 1 quart, and it was usually pretty dark, so I figured it was cheap insurance.

As others have said, pull the swingarm pivot bolt... it will tell you a few things:

- if it comes out and is nicely greased: you are lucky in the knowledge that the PO has looked after the bike

- if it comes out and is not greased: you are just very lucky indeed

- if it doesn't come out: get on google, because you are going to need advice for removing it at some point.

I don't want to panic you, but it is absolutely the single thing to definitely check when purchasing an xr400. Trust me, as I've been through the pain of a seized swingarm bolt.

Yooj