Its about time. 1st oil change

Bought this in March just havent had a chance to rider her much.

1st one hour oil/filter change. Some bits in there for sure. Ill do another in 2 hours to make sure its all flushed out.

57712279529__8E647546-9EEA-4808-A95F-A4B4A88B032B.JPG

57712325056__05FC7F90-7F77-45B8-A26D-22768CB3F91F.JPG

Dropped the oil after 1.7 hours on my 19 350XCF and my screen looking nothing like that and my oil wasn't nearly that dark. The only real debris was a small piece of RTV. Is all of that metal shavings?

• Like 1

WHOA! My first ride was 2.8 hours- I changed the oil as soon as a I got home and had basically zero shavings on the screen. My next oil change at 10.4 hours had 0.

• Like 2

Finish the oil change, drop it again after an hour and if it's clean and bike runs good, ride the thing. I know stuff like that can get into your mind, but chances are, as unnerving as it is, engine is probably fine. Of course, it something doesn't sound right, stop and investigate. I would go on record with your dealer, just to be safe. No downside in alerting them and even ask them for their recommendation. If they tell you it's fine and it blows, that will be a feather in your cap with KTM for warranty.

500 EXCF?

i think it’s pretty common for the first change to look like that. I’ve seen plenty of first oil change pics online that look just like that. 

I changed mine at 1.1 and it was similar. Maybe slightly less debris than that. 

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Dropped the oil after 1.7 hours on my 19 350XCF and my screen looking nothing like that and my oil wasn't nearly that dark. The only real debris was a small piece of RTV. Is all of that metal shavings?

Pretty much the same for me too. 

• Like 1

Congrats. I feel your pain. Bought mine last week in Dec and just hit 9hrs.

Mine at 1.49hrs was pretty close to yours. Going to change at 10hrs since the oil color is looking like caca and then 20hrs when I have the dealer do the suspension, tublis and Goldyn tires. Then back to 15hr recommendations.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bfea38499c3ed67b1d8767ce7b72a5b.jpeg

20 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

Congrats. I feel your pain. Bought mine last week in Dec and just hit 9hrs.

Mine at 1.49hrs was pretty close to yours. Going to change at 10hrs since the oil color is looking like caca and then 20hrs when I have the dealer do the suspension, tublis and Goldyn tires. Then back to 15hr recommendations.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bfea38499c3ed67b1d8767ce7b72a5b.jpeg

My 250 had about half the shavings on the first change. 

Most of mine was some type of ghost buster goo. I felt no grit so I sonic cleaned both my filters (separately) and the one in question had basically a 1/16" circle of dust when it was done and zero magnetic particals so I was fine with that. I presume the magnetic plug caught all the magnetic dust as that was covered and again zero magnetic particals. For me it was a typical break in appearance at least from my 1:1 car and truck rebuilds so I saw no need to change it after a few more hours.

Posted (edited)

The goo stuff, is mostly from lint.  I'd change it again in 2 to 3 hours, should see a significant drop in contaminant.

If it was a jap bike, you wouldn't be able to clean the oil screen

Edited by Spud786

6 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

The goo stuff, is mostly from lint.  I'd change it again in 2 to 3 hours, should see a significant drop in contaminant.

Just curious as my XR had the same goo. Where/what is the lint from? Gaskets invading a little in the motor and being broken down by the oil and heat?

4 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

Just curious as my XR had the same goo. Where/what is the lint from? Gaskets invading a little in the motor and being broken down by the oil and heat?

The Humans putting them together, rags ect.

Plus that stuff can be shavings from the machining process. I don't think you can get it all in the assembly process.

Stupid humans. When are they going to wear nitril gloves, use air and lint free mats like the rest of us.

So, I wonder what oil is best at breaking down rag lint. Just kidding just kidding

Welcome to the "500 Club" , buddy. Crazy how dark that 1 hr old oil is, eh? Don't worry about the debris on your filter..it's just your motor shedding winter weight...?. Almost have mine all back together from a huge winter refresh.

20190411_052156~2.jpg

Welcome to the "500 Club" , buddy. Crazy how dark that 1 hr old oil is, eh? Don't worry about the debris on your filter..it's just your motor shedding winter weight.... Almost have mine all back together from a huge winter refresh.

604627277_20190411_0521562.jpg.220803ef18a8613e095bab35c838f408.jpg

Thanks ya big bastard

Yea I’ve seen it before. Its the big chunks that would be alarming.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, Spud786 said:

Yamaha's have removable suction screens.

• Like 1

Ok and now my 1 hour valve check.
Opinions ?
I got one that said “leave it”

IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4383.JPG

Take a Pole:

cmbthumper = Fix that Right Intake...To far out for my taste

• Like 1