A few rmx250 questions

So its been a long time since I've made a post on here but I have a 1994 and 1995 rmx250 I've been riding my rmx for a long time and really love them. I've been curious about a stronger clutch basket I've combed through all the forums and I'm still a little confused as to what aftermarket billet basket would fit my bike can someone give me a part number and brand that for sure will fit the 1994 rmx250 if there is one? 

A little info on my bike for anyone thats interested, it's a 1994 rmx250 i have a 95 as well that I put together nearly identical to the 94 as my back up bike because sometimes it can take a while to get parts and such if my 94 is down. Anyway I'm running the fmf gnarly pipe with pro circuit spark arrester, the pj carb with boyesens float bowl that helped a lot I think, I've been able to get it to run pretty good with the pj i also run vp110 50/50 with 92 ethanol free pump gas. I have the 1.2mm optional oem head gasket, boyesen rad valve, ims pro series foot pegs, hammerhead designs cnc shift lever the drz400 one fits the rmx as well, boyesen ignition cover,  black excel a60 rear rim blue excel front rim, devol radiator guards, devol rear disc guard. I have a bunch of other little goodies on the bike too. 

I'm going to try to add a couple i really enjoy looking at everyone elses bikes and I've found so much useful information on this site so I thought I'd post a couple pictures of my rmx 

20190416_125333.jpg

20190416_125319.jpg

• Like 3

Nice clean RMX!!!

I’ve got a couple too. 98 and 96. Great bikes :)

Noticed the Everett Powersports sticker. Ah ha, another fellow Washingtonian. :thumbsup: A bunch of us WA RMX’ers should get together for a ride someday...

94 I believe was first year of RMX to use the 93-95 RM250 basket. Verify the 10th digit of your vin is a “R”

Pro-X makes one, or my favorite so far, MDR out of the UK. 

The MDR has less slop between fiber plate tabs. Less rattling when idling in neutral. 

I also really like the EBC ‘dirt digger’ clutch. Excellent clutch feel, and holding up well, even with stock lightweight springs. Just don’t use ATF with the EBC clutch. Their website had a warning about the use of ATF. 

Later on this summer I can hook you up with one of my welded wide squish band heads if you’d like. Considerably more power across the board, and no need for the expensive VP fuel...

http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/mdr-clutch-basket-suzuki-rm-250-93-95.html

AC742436-14BE-40FE-B29F-5E5D26F5E84F.jpeg.d323271fdf9a08de494f531b08a991ba.jpeg

:ride:

Edited by Jeremyf1
Link and Pict
  • Like 1

Jeremyf1,

I like your connecting rod locking plate,

might just fabricate one myself next time I have the engine apart on my YZ125.

It is an R model 10th digit of the vin is R. I like the blue graphics and all yellow plastic so I switched things around a bit. 

From what i read before is that I need a basket from a earlier rm250 but I'm not positive on that i will need to go back and find that thread, do you know for sure if that basket will work with my 94? I have the dirt digger clutch kit actually and I was wanting to upgrade the basket when I install the clutch. Ive always ran 80wt transmission oil. I see in your photo that your engine has the j-112 prefix as well but I was reading there was slight differences in baskets throughout different years. The clutch kit says it fits 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1994 rm250 then 89-91 rmx and 94-98 rmx. And I'm pretty darn confused about basket differences or if it even matters so if you know for sure that basket fits that would be awesome. 

I was looking at pictures of heads that you made when I was scrolling through stuff a while ago I would love to try one out im very interested in that. I don't mind running the high octane stuff really i mostly run it because I was able to tune it more consistently and ive been pretty happy with it. Ive been getting out riding about once a week to walker valley lately and been racking up the hours so I just ordered a wiseco piston and oem gaskets and stuff to do the top end it's been a while since I've done it, still runs good though and I got the new clutch because I've never replaced the clutch it's also working decently but last time I inspected things I decided I would do the clutch at my next top end and id really like to get a beefier basket. 

For me finding parts and working on the bikes is just as fun as riding.  

I thought id mention as well, from previous research i figured that a talon brand basket for a 1991 rm250 would be the one that I would need and the only one I was able to find. But now im just trying to figure out if someone else knows exactly what basket works 

4 hours ago, mlatour said:

Jeremyf1,

I like your connecting rod locking plate,

might just fabricate one myself next time I have the engine apart on my YZ125.

Thanks!

A lot of my speciality tools are some sort of homemade jobber, or getting creative with what I have around the shop. 

My clutch hub tool was a couple old steels and fibers clamped together with small C clamps. Lol. :)

3 hours ago, rmx250_rider said:

It is an R model 10th digit of the vin is R. I like the blue graphics and all yellow plastic so I switched things around a bit. 

From what i read before is that I need a basket from a earlier rm250 but I'm not positive on that i will need to go back and find that thread, do you know for sure if that basket will work with my 94? I have the dirt digger clutch kit actually and I was wanting to upgrade the basket when I install the clutch. Ive always ran 80wt transmission oil. I see in your photo that your engine has the j-112 prefix as well but I was reading there was slight differences in baskets throughout different years. The clutch kit says it fits 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1994 rm250 then 89-91 rmx and 94-98 rmx. And I'm pretty darn confused about basket differences or if it even matters so if you know for sure that basket fits that would be awesome. 

I was looking at pictures of heads that you made when I was scrolling through stuff a while ago I would love to try one out im very interested in that. I don't mind running the high octane stuff really i mostly run it because I was able to tune it more consistently and ive been pretty happy with it. Ive been getting out riding about once a week to walker valley lately and been racking up the hours so I just ordered a wiseco piston and oem gaskets and stuff to do the top end it's been a while since I've done it, still runs good though and I got the new clutch because I've never replaced the clutch it's also working decently but last time I inspected things I decided I would do the clutch at my next top end and id really like to get a beefier basket. 

For me finding parts and working on the bikes is just as fun as riding.  

Looks great!!!

The 2wheelpros website shows same basket for 94-98 RMX and 92?-95 RM. 

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/suzuki-gear-assy-primary-driven-21200-28e12-part.html

Seems to be lots of conflicting info out there. Doesn’t help when Suzuki goes superseding parts around and listing multiple ‘models’ in the wrong years microfiche....

This topic I created a couple years ago might help. RMXdan has some links within that may help, and I have some measurements of the 93-95 RM baskets on page 2.

Must’ve been the Mitaka basket I was thinking of that was a sloppy fit, not Pro-X. I do remember the MDR was the tightest. Didn’t buy that one till after creating topic. Had to lightly file a couple friction tabs that were a bit too tight...

The dirt digger is a good clutch. You’ll like it. :thumbsup:

I’m the same way as far as tinkering and riding. Can’t wait till work slows down and I can go test out my new PV solenoid setup on my 98. I’m over in the Kitsap area, so ride Tayhua often since it’s closest to me...

078C30A2-2CFC-41F2-94A6-CD69EE0C0FE1.jpeg.ca824da405a472cb65b18ba64fbd58e7.jpeg

Edited by Jeremyf1

Thanks! Ill have to read through all that, did you ever find an inner hub or just use oem one? I was really hoping to be able to possibly order a basket before taking mine apart but, I do have a 1991 rm250 with the motor in a box at my mom's I guess I can take that clutch and compare it to mine I would like to order the same basket you have. I don't mind a little filing. do you know what part number clutch your dirt digger is mine is 303-70-10017 I got the whole kit with springs but im thinking about using oem springs still or a mix of both, ive heard of people mixing them up for a better bite and better clutch pull. I'm thinking if I can confirm the clutch you got is the same one I have then I'll know that basket should work in that way then its a matter of trying to figure out if the gear and whatnot on the back is the same i think thats what im most worried about is mounting the basket 

5 hours ago, Jeremyf1 said:

Thanks!

A lot of my speciality tools are some sort of homemade jobber, or getting creative with what I have around the shop. 

My clutch hub tool was a couple old steels and fibers clamped together with small C clamps. Lol. :)

Looks great!!!

The 2wheelpros website shows same basket for 94-98 RMX and 92?-95 RM. 

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/suzuki-gear-assy-primary-driven-21200-28e12-part.html

Seems to be lots of conflicting info out there. Doesn’t help when Suzuki goes superseding parts around and listing multiple ‘models’ in the wrong years microfiche....

This topic I created a couple years ago might help. RMXdan has some links within that may help, and I have some measurements of the 93-95 RM baskets on page 2.

Must’ve been the Mitaka basket I was thinking of that was a sloppy fit, not Pro-X. I do remember the MDR was the tightest. Didn’t buy that one till after creating topic. Had to lightly file a couple friction tabs that were a bit too tight...

The dirt digger is a good clutch. You’ll like it. :thumbsup:

I’m the same way as far as tinkering and riding. Can’t wait till work slows down and I can go test out my new PV solenoid setup on my 98. I’m over in the Kitsap area, so ride Tayhua often since it’s closest to me...

078C30A2-2CFC-41F2-94A6-CD69EE0C0FE1.jpeg.ca824da405a472cb65b18ba64fbd58e7.jpeg

So after more comparing part numbers it says that my 94 rmx has the same hub and basket as a 95 rm250 so I think I'm going to just order that MDR basket unless you recommend another?, is the one in the photo the MDR basket? And did you have any problems ordering it from them? Then I'm kinda just stuck with the oem hub right? Nobody makes a stronger hub? I'll probably just order a new oem hub if that's my only option. 

18 hours ago, Jeremyf1 said:

Nice clean RMX!!!

I’ve got a couple too. 98 and 96. Great bikes :)

Noticed the Everett Powersports sticker. Ah ha, another fellow Washingtonian. :thumbsup: A bunch of us WA RMX’ers should get together for a ride someday...

94 I believe was first year of RMX to use the 93-95 RM250 basket. Verify the 10th digit of your vin is a “R”

Pro-X makes one, or my favorite so far, MDR out of the UK. 

The MDR has less slop between fiber plate tabs. Less rattling when idling in neutral. 

I also really like the EBC ‘dirt digger’ clutch. Excellent clutch feel, and holding up well, even with stock lightweight springs. Just don’t use ATF with the EBC clutch. Their website had a warning about the use of ATF. 

Later on this summer I can hook you up with one of my welded wide squish band heads if you’d like. Considerably more power across the board, and no need for the expensive VP fuel...

http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/mdr-clutch-basket-suzuki-rm-250-93-95.html

AC742436-14BE-40FE-B29F-5E5D26F5E84F.jpeg.d323271fdf9a08de494f531b08a991ba.jpeg

:ride:

Here's a couple pics of my 95 and a pic when i first got it. I just finished putting it together recently I still have to get decals and I had to exchange the disc cover so I'm waiting on that. I had the frame powder coated in a silver vein finish it turned out pretty good. I tried to make it as close to the same as my 94 as i could minus the wheels and I don't have the rad valve on this one, i managed to find another set of devol radiator guards for it though, but stuff like my frame protector covers are discontinued and I haven't found any yet I'm usually always looking online for aftermarket rmx stuff. You might notice both headlights are slightly brighter yellow than the rest of the plastic that's because they are take offs from a drz both my bikes didn't have headlights when I got them and I found the drz assemblys were pretty cheap compared to getting everything new.

20190321_134641.jpg

20190321_134626.jpg

IMG_41991.jpg

9 hours ago, rmx250_rider said:

Thanks! Ill have to read through all that, did you ever find an inner hub or just use oem one? I was really hoping to be able to possibly order a basket before taking mine apart but, I do have a 1991 rm250 with the motor in a box at my mom's I guess I can take that clutch and compare it to mine I would like to order the same basket you have. I don't mind a little filing. do you know what part number clutch your dirt digger is mine is 303-70-10017 I got the whole kit with springs but im thinking about using oem springs still or a mix of both, ive heard of people mixing them up for a better bite and better clutch pull. I'm thinking if I can confirm the clutch you got is the same one I have then I'll know that basket should work in that way then its a matter of trying to figure out if the gear and whatnot on the back is the same i think thats what im most worried about is mounting the basket 

No, I had to use OEM hub. Couldn’t find aftermarket anywhere for the 93-95 RM. That was kinda the reason I started that topic. Tons of aftermarket for 96’s and up. If it was just some small machining differences between new and old I could probably handle that (have mill, lathe, etc.) But it ended up being too much different since the primary drive ratio changed and basket was quite a bit larger in diameter. 

Gears are all the same for RMX afaik. Swapping them over to new basket is easy. Grind rivets flush on backing plate side, drive them through plate with pin punch, and it comes right off.

We kinda gave up trying to figure out all the differences. I think all 88-95 RM, and 89-98 RMX use the same steels and frictions, but some of the in-between years had 1 extra steel and friction....

The dirt racer (don’t know why I remember it as ‘digger’ lol) clutch I used in both bikes is the DRC72 kit like this one. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRC-Complete-Clutch-Kit-EBC-DRC72-Suzuki-RM250-RMX250/112674609121?epid=171183540&hash=item1a3bee17e1:g:2coAAOSwvD5aJwcD

That was my plan too. Run stock springs to see if it would hold, and add the heavy duty springs in pairs if it slipped. So far, so good. I’m definitely not a clutch abuser though. The way my 98 runs now I really only use the clutch to start off and stop. 

4 hours ago, rmx250_rider said:

So after more comparing part numbers it says that my 94 rmx has the same hub and basket as a 95 rm250 so I think I'm going to just order that MDR basket unless you recommend another?, is the one in the photo the MDR basket? And did you have any problems ordering it from them? Then I'm kinda just stuck with the oem hub right? Nobody makes a stronger hub? I'll probably just order a new oem hub if that's my only option. 

Yes, the photo is the MDR basket. Pro-X would be fine too. No idea yet which will last longer, but I’d think the less slop, the better. ???

No problem ordering. I bought mine from them through eBay and it surprisingly arrived pretty darn fast for overseas...

Yeah, I think we’re stuck with OEM hubs. :(

3 hours ago, rmx250_rider said:

Here's a couple pics of my 95 and a pic when i first got it. I just finished putting it together recently I still have to get decals and I had to exchange the disc cover so I'm waiting on that. I had the frame powder coated in a silver vein finish it turned out pretty good. I tried to make it as close to the same as my 94 as i could minus the wheels and I don't have the rad valve on this one, i managed to find another set of devol radiator guards for it though, but stuff like my frame protector covers are discontinued and I haven't found any yet I'm usually always looking online for aftermarket rmx stuff. You might notice both headlights are slightly brighter yellow than the rest of the plastic that's because they are take offs from a drz both my bikes didn't have headlights when I got them and I found the drz assemblys were pretty cheap compared to getting everything new.

20190321_134641.jpg

20190321_134626.jpg

IMG_41991.jpg

Nice!!!

My 96 looked good in the CL photos, but not so good up close. Had some extra “surprises” inside when I went to do the top end. Glad I talked the guy down to half of what he was asking for it...

Looks naked now with no graphics. lol

Someday I’ll find some I like...

Those headlight shrouds are ridiculously expensive!!!!

I like that you’re keeping yours looking like a RMX. I started to bolt a rear RM fender on my 96, but quickly changed my mind. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for your help really nice asking someone who has a rmx! Thats a nice looking bike! My 94 was really beat down when I got it and had rm plastic i prefer them to look like a rmx. I had to replace a ton of stuff on the 94 I've had the 94 for a while but the 95 i picked up recently and just finished  (my wife would say im never finished lol) the 95 supposedly sat in a barn since 2002 and had a full rebuild right before it was put away when I took the motor apart i found that to be true or at least it looked new. But the rest of the bike was thrashed the swingarm had so much slop I thought the bearings were missing but upon inspection they were new and someone dremeled the swingarm so they would fall right in? Found a replacement swingarm that still had original decals though for 50 dollars shipped so not too bad i found similar hackery all around the bike and duct tape. I replaced a ridiculous amount of stuff on that bike to get it where I wanted it but it's fun. It did look to be low hour though much less wear than my 94 had and the airbox lid was still on it with the original grips and bars. 

I really appreciate you helping me. It would be awesome to get together sometime for a rmx ride, the only time ive ever seen another rmxer out riding I wasn't on my rmx of course. I still have some pictures of the bearing holes on my old swingarm im going to try to post you might get a kick out of, i dont know how you get to that point and think thats ok. I can only imagine the swearing and frustration hehe

53 minutes ago, Jeremyf1 said:

No, I had to use OEM hub. Couldn’t find aftermarket anywhere for the 93-95 RM. That was kinda the reason I started that topic. Tons of aftermarket for 96’s and up. If it was just some small machining differences between new and old I could probably handle that (have mill, lathe, etc.) But it ended up being too much different since the primary drive ratio changed and basket was quite a bit larger in diameter. 

Gears are all the same for RMX afaik. Swapping them over to new basket is easy. Grind rivets flush on backing plate side, drive them through plate with pin punch, and it comes right off.

We kinda gave up trying to figure out all the differences. I think all 88-95 RM, and 89-98 RMX use the same steels and frictions, but some of the in-between years had 1 extra steel and friction....

The dirt racer (don’t know why I remember it as ‘digger’ lol) clutch I used in both bikes is the DRC72 kit like this one. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRC-Complete-Clutch-Kit-EBC-DRC72-Suzuki-RM250-RMX250/112674609121?epid=171183540&hash=item1a3bee17e1:g:2coAAOSwvD5aJwcD

That was my plan too. Run stock springs to see if it would hold, and add the heavy duty springs in pairs if it slipped. So far, so good. I’m definitely not a clutch abuser though. The way my 98 runs now I really only use the clutch to start off and stop. 

Yes, the photo is the MDR basket. Pro-X would be fine too. No idea yet which will last longer, but I’d think the less slop, the better. ???

No problem ordering. I bought mine from them through eBay and it surprisingly arrived pretty darn fast for overseas...

Yeah, I think we’re stuck with OEM hubs. :(

Nice!!!

My 96 looked good in the CL photos, but not so good up close. Had some extra “surprises” inside when I went to do the top end. Glad I talked the guy down to half of what he was asking for it...

Looks naked now with no graphics. lol

Someday I’ll find some I like...

Those headlight shrouds are ridiculously expensive!!!!

I like that you’re keeping yours looking like a RMX. I started to bolt a rear RM fender on my 96, but quickly changed my mind. :thumbsup:

Heres pics of the old swingarm the pics dont do it justice. It had a significant amount of play. 

20190124_180253.jpg

20190124_180151.jpg

I have a rmx 250 1995 model and replaced the basket with a mitaka clutch basket from a 1993-1995 rm250 also the clutch kit was  from the rm 250 but was 1992-1993 kit but the 1993-1995 is the same kit but has one more or one less friction plates i cant remember witch way round .

worked brilliantly and the quality was great for the money it cost . My local motorcross shop who do lots of engineering told me That mitaka stuff is just as good as any of the other brands .

what jetting did you use in your pj carb btw ? Cheers 

10 hours ago, Romney1 said:

I have a rmx 250 1995 model and replaced the basket with a mitaka clutch basket from a 1993-1995 rm250 also the clutch kit was  from the rm 250 but was 1992-1993 kit but the 1993-1995 is the same kit but has one more or one less friction plates i cant remember witch way round .

worked brilliantly and the quality was great for the money it cost . My local motorcross shop who do lots of engineering told me That mitaka stuff is just as good as any of the other brands .

what jetting did you use in your pj carb btw ? Cheers 

I just ordered the MDR basket from the link above i believe the 92-93 has 1 more than the others I have a clutch kit already it's the one that has 1 less i cant remember if its 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 but do you know if its still the same overall thickness between the 2? 

On the 95 with no rad valve I'm running a 60 pilot with a 168 main both bikes have 1.2mm optional oem head gasket. Also that gasket has been on back order for a while and I've ordered it twice and gotten it fairly quickly but still says backorder I try to keep one around for a spare. Both bikes have fmf gnarly pipe with pro circuit spark arrester and no airbox lid

On the 94 I'm also running the 60 pilot but I have a rad valve on that and I've been switching back and forth from 165 and 162 main i found the 168 to be too rich. Im running vp110 mixed 50\50 with 92 ethanol free pump gas. I also have a boyesen float bowl on both I think it's called super bowl or something but I think that float bowl helped a lot. Fmf recommends a 48 pilot on there jetting chart I found that to be too lean and I've had good luck with the 60 pilot on both bikes.

I dont know if you read my posts on my rmx build had some nightmares trying to get it right . Im in the uk but just been out on the bike after new jets and needle pj carb 45 pilot and 168 main just been on the bike that horrible splutter i had as gone and the bike absolutely flys but i just  pulled The plug no oil to be seen like there was before but i think it looks abit lean what you think im scared now ha 

842A6F88-EA26-4C2A-993A-5A634C01F74F.jpeg

B2B158C7-5064-417A-8DE0-CA140AC67F29.jpeg

F1630D6E-8C0C-4BFA-B2B3-2F381011FF8C.jpeg

E32806D9-775B-4ED3-B353-25A3044DB761.jpeg

Also to answer your question on pack hight i was concerned about that but when i checked the genuine part numbers of clutch plates there the same on the two modle years,  just have a different amount in the basket. So im confident there the same and i have no issues clutch operates perfectly 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Romney1 said:

Sorry 55 pilot not 45 

How long did you run that spark plug for it looks pretty new. Also my air screw is 1-3/4 turns out and needle on the 3rd clip. I'm definitely no expert but i think it looks fine if that was a really short run. What ratio are you running your premix? Id try a little larger pilot if your worried about it being lean but I think you need to run it a little longer with that plug to get a good read i dont think your dangerously lean

Edited by rmx250_rider

Yer i was out for about 15mins just like a test run after work , before it was all black and oily now its like that :

swapped my oil aswell to motul 710 40/1  with the super unleaded from the fuel station .

I also swapped to 8 heat range plug as advised by people on here