TT-R-230 trail bike project

I wanted to start riding trail on a MX bike and not spend to much time on oil maintenance. I was told by a friend of mine to buy a CFR 230 or TT-R-230.

I got lucky and found a good deal on a this bike. It needed some maintenance from the get go. It is a 07. Still have the original front tire on it. The fork seal were dry out and the oil had run out all the way down to the brake calliper. So I had the fork rebuilt and custom for my weight. Clean up the brake rotor and install new brake pad.

Here what it looks like when I first got it.

IMG_0085.JPGIMG_0086.JPG

First thing that I had to get right was the handle bar set up and better wrap around hand-guard. So I got a good deal on Amazon for a kit that included an Pro Taper copy handlebar, pad, over size clamp and grips. Even if it is a copy. It has been solid so far. For hand guard, I went with a pair of Cycra probend from Yamaha. IMG_0949.JPGIMG_0956.JPG

One of my big concern is the contact point with the bike. I was satisfied with the handle bar set up. I did not like the stock foot Pegs. So I ordered some JBL pegs. When I got the JBL, I had to do some small mods to make them fit correctly. So far I am not satisfied with those foot pegs. I feel like my boots will slip away. They will be change this year for sure. Any recommendations? IMG_0396.JPGIMG_0397.JPG

Its a TTR.  Best to just accept it for what it is.  The TTR is a great learner bike for a few seasons.  Then you sell it on to the next newbie for what you paid for it and move up to something more suitable.  Dumping money for performance mods into a TTR is fairly pointless.  It is an air-cooled 2-valve motor.  Its never gonna make a ton of power.

To be sure, I am not knocking the TTR.  I know at least half dozen people who have started on them.  My wife spent 4 seasons on one and has just moved up to a 250f.  They are great bike but they are just not performance machines.

Its a TTR.  Best to just accept it for what it is.  The TTR is a great learner bike for a few seasons.  Then you sell it on to the next newbie for what you paid for it and move up to something more suitable.  Dumping money for performance mods into a TTR is fairly pointless.  It is an air-cooled 2-valve motor.  Its never gonna make a ton of power.
To be sure, I am not knocking the TTR.  I know at least half dozen people who have started on them.  My wife spent 4 seasons on one and has just moved up to a 250f.  They are great bike but they are just not performance machines.

I know and you are 100% right. This is why that some of those parts are budget friendly. But I regret some of those like the foot pegs. I am 50 and I am starting riding MX bike. I will never ride MX track. I am not trying to make this like a high performance bike. I want to make it a good trail bike that can go for miles with no issue. But I want more comfort and a little extra power to climbs some hills. I mostly ride in quads trail. I admit that I am slowly looking at my next bike. Probably a WR but I will not sell the TT-R. It will be a great bike for my wife and daughter. In 4 years, she should be tall enough to ride it. It will always be a good back up also. So, if I invest some money it to it, it doesn't really upset me. It will be staying in the family for some time. Maybe my daughter kids will ride it one day? Who knows.

But I really do get your point.
  • Like 1

Footpegs.

You can unbolt the peg mounts and cut new ones from 1/2" steel plate. this also allows you to reposition the pegs to your liking (I went lower and rearward). You can buy ready made, weld on, clevis mounts for Trials footpegs (or make your own). Trials pegs are most all interchangeable so there a million different styles to choose from as well as lots of used take offs from the guys that have to have the latest titanium pegs.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

Footpegs.
 You can unbolt the peg mounts and cut new ones from 1/2" steel plate. this also allows you to reposition the pegs to your liking (I went lower and rearward). You can buy ready made, weld on, clevis mounts for Trials footpegs (or make your own). Trials pegs are most all interchangeable so there a million different styles to choose from as well as lots of used take offs from the guys that have to have the latest titanium pegs.

Thanks for the pointers, I will most definitely looks at the option. Contact point for me are the most important factor. Presently I am thinking of going back to the stockers until that I find a good option. I really don't like the JBS. I don't trust them at all.

What is the quad club in the Granb area?

club 3 et 4 roues de l'estrie. Bikes are not allowed. I hope that this will change one day. Saguenay and Mont Laurier allows dual purpose/Enduro bike in the quad trail network. I hope that they will consider doing the same thing.

Where are you from?
Shockwave95, 
where are you located in Quebec (I'm in the Laurentians/ Lachute area)

By 'riding quad trails' I'm guessing you mean the FQMHR bike/quad trail pass?

Where are you from? Do you also ride trail?

I'm in the Lachute area, north of Montreal, west of the Mirabel airport.

More into motocross track riding but yes on a regular basis I do ride the local quad trails of the Basses-Laurentides / Montagnards du Nord clubs.

Luckily with only a few km of back roads I can access the trails from home / no trailering required, not the most technical terrain but still fun.

Instead of going to the gym, I trail ride at least once a week as it 'keeps in shape for MX'.

Wish you luck on your local access but I've often heard south shore land owners are hesitant even on allowing quads thru their properties.

In the past few years the Outaouais region clubs have shown a lot willingness to allow bikes, if the Petite-Nation club finally agree,

the TQ-50 'permanent trail' project to connect the Laurentians and Outaouais regions will make a huge leap in accessibility to bikes.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mlatour said:

I'm in the Lachute area, north of Montreal, west of the Mirabel airport.

More into motocross track riding but yes on a regular basis I do ride the local quad trails of the Basses-Laurentides / Montagnards du Nord clubs.

Luckily with only a few km of back roads I can access the trails from home / no trailering required, not the most technical terrain but still fun.

Instead of going to the gym, I trail ride at least once a week as it 'keeps in shape for MX'.

Wish you luck on your local access but I've often heard south shore land owners are hesitant even on allowing quads thru their properties.

In the past few years the Outaouais region clubs have shown a lot willingness to allow bikes, if the Petite-Nation club finally agree,

the TQ-50 'permanent trail' project to connect the Laurentians and Outaouais regions will make a huge leap in accessibility to bikes.

You are a lucky guy. I have a very limited access to a small sand pit from my place. The rest of the time, I need my trailer to get where I want to ride.

17 hours ago, Gflo said:

Nice build.  You will probably need to jet richer with the air box mod.  Just curious, what’s with all the reflectors?

Front side reflectors, amber; rear side, red--US DOT for street legal.  don't know but would imagine same for Canada