Jump to content

newmexico Please report incidents involving Montoya Land and Cattle Co. and also any booby traps

Recommended Posts

Montoya Land and Cattle Co. has grazing rights NE of Farmington, NM on BLM land, a lot of which is in the Glade Offroad Recreation Area.  Recently there have been a number of incidents involving Montoya and his employees, and other incidents of which they are strongly suspected including potentially deadly booby traps.  Please post up anything involving these people harassing you and booby traps you have found.  We need to do something before someone is injured or killed.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Wish I could help...

Its gotten pretty bad.  They are harassing oil field workers, cutting locks off well locations.  Standing on a road holding a rifle just dogging people, barbed wire across trails, steel fence posts sticking out of trees into trails.  And on top of it all they just drive their quads all over the place to supposedly take care of the cattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy ****..  I'd be tempted to get a large group of off roaders together for a show of force.  I'd think you could get the 4 wheelers in as well.  Perhaps a weekend campout/rally. 

Bullies (criminals in this case) do it because they see a weak victim.  Show them that you can muster enough people to put a little fear in 'em and maybe they'll dial it back, maybe not.

Local Sheriff useless?  Around here I've seen S.O. patrolling BLM, in fact that's the only law I've seen on BLM lands.

Good luck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

Holy ****..  I'd be tempted to get a large group of off roaders together for a show of force.  I'd think you could get the 4 wheelers in as well.  Perhaps a weekend campout/rally. 

Bullies (criminals in this case) do it because they see a weak victim.  Show them that you can muster enough people to put a little fear in 'em and maybe they'll dial it back, maybe not.

Local Sheriff useless?  Around here I've seen S.O. patrolling BLM, in fact that's the only law I've seen on BLM lands.

Good luck...

These people are sort of a protected bunch, connected I guess you could say.  Been running cattle for many years, they say it is their ranch and they want people off of it even though all they have is grazing rights.  BLM Rangers sort of shrug, SO will do nothing.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

These people are sort of a protected bunch, connected I guess you could say.  Been running cattle for many years, they say it is their ranch and they want people off of it even though all they have is grazing rights.  BLM Rangers sort of shrug, SO will do nothing.

Yikes. 

There have been problems with vandals in some areas around here, trail cameras hidden well have caught people and led to prosecution.  Not sure if that would be feasible in your locale, but it's an option that's may be less likely to escalate the situation at least immediately.  A bit costly though, however you may have enough hunters around willing to donate cams to the cause...  'Cams for safe trails"..

This kind of *** pisses me off.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Its gotten pretty bad.  They are harassing oil field workers, cutting locks off well locations.  Standing on a road holding a rifle just dogging people, barbed wire across trails, steel fence posts sticking out of trees into trails.  And on top of it all they just drive their quads all over the place to supposedly take care of the cattle.

Has the local le gotten involved? Sounds pretty easy to document and video everything. Is NM  a single-party recording state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

These people are sort of a protected bunch, connected I guess you could say.  Been running cattle for many years, they say it is their ranch and they want people off of it even though all they have is grazing rights.  BLM Rangers sort of shrug, SO will do nothing.

BLM Rangers (federal law officers) & SO have no problem with them committing multiple assaults, including assault with a deadly weapon? Escalate the issues, call your federal senators. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kxlubber said:

IMG_4196.JPG
Always gets their guy

We have a local office but all they do is investigate crimes on the rez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can make a domestic terrorism case out of this, FBI might be interested.  It may be a stretch, but it does appear to be a 'campaign' to try and scare offroaders away from land they have legal right to access/use.  Looks like domestic terrorism to me.  The ranchers will probably claim offroaders are harassing their stock.  He said, she said...etc... 

Offroaders are often perceived badly by the general public, making this type of activity too common.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montoya Land and Cattle Co. has grazing rights NE of Farmington, NM on BLM land, a lot of which is in the Glade Offroad Recreation Area.  Recently there have been a number of incidents involving Montoya and his employees, and other incidents of which they are strongly suspected including potentially deadly booby traps.  Please post up anything involving these people harassing you and booby traps you have found.  We need to do something before someone is injured or killed.

That’s really scetchy! Document, document, and document some more... then post all your findings to a social media platform. Put them on full blast. When guns and booby traps are involved, it’s life or death. What a bunch of jerks. On the other hand yes us off-road enthusiasts often accidentally cross kines into private property in search of that perfect terrain. And cattle are easily spooked. Making them susceptible to injuries. Once its injured they have to put them down. Could be costly for a rancher. But no reason for guns and booby traps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ktm200excrider said:


That’s really scetchy! Document, document, and document some more... then post all your findings to a social media platform. Put them on full blast. When guns and booby traps are involved, it’s life or death. What a bunch of jerks. On the other hand yes us off-road enthusiasts often accidentally cross kines into private property in search of that perfect terrain. And cattle are easily spooked. Making them susceptible to injuries. Once its injured they have to put them down. Could be costly for a rancher. But no reason for guns and booby traps

They think the public land that they have grazing rights on is their land.  Its not.  But, yes, off roaders need to act responsibly around livestock, they have just as much right to be there as we do.  But, no more right or no less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

They think the public land that they have grazing rights on is their land.  Its not.  But, yes, off roaders need to act responsibly around livestock, they have just as much right to be there as we do.  But, no more right or no less.

I don't know about you, but when I see a herd of cattle near where I'm going, I back off and pass politely.  Last thing I want is to be trampled by a startled cow... it would be a pretty sad way to die...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had a problem with cattle other than it can be hard to get them to move. Never had a calf or momma cow do anything stupid around the bike.
I’m shocked these guys are causing issues to the Oilfield work, no way they win that battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kxlubber said:

Never had a problem with cattle other than it can be hard to get them to move. Never had a calf or momma cow do anything stupid around the bike.
I’m shocked these guys are causing issues to the Oilfield work, no way they win that battle.

I had a calf in a small ditch on the right side of a dirt road, bolt out into the road and start hauling buns..  I think he was napping, rest of herd was 100 yards away he just panicked.  I prefer an overabundance of caution, not only am I getting old... I wanna keep doing so ?

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...