Is a 140/80/18 tire too wide

Will a 140/80/18 rear tire fit on my 250x , I mean I know it will fit ,I'm just wondering if it will be to wide.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Lamie said:

Will a 140/80/18 rear tire fit on my 250x , I mean I know it will fit ,I'm just wondering if it will be to wide.

Yes, that is too big a tire for several reasons.

• Like 1

It will handle like a school bus with the 140...I ran a 140 tyre on my XR650R, and recently switched to 120 MT16..brilliant move, love the quick handling, it stays in ruts [doesnt climb or cross up], and "cuts" threw sand/mud instead of floating around..

Is it a michelin? If so it probably compares to most 120s. Unless its a desert. Then its bigger.

Easy huh?

3 hours ago, seer said:

Is it a michelin? If so it probably compares to most 120s. Unless its a desert. Then its bigger.

Easy huh?

It's a goldentyre, its dot approved 

I run a 140 Mitas Ef-07 on my 250xc. It’s a popular tire where I ride due to all the wet roots and rocks here. My bike handles great with one

I run a 120. I ride mostly nasty, rocky single track. 

a 140 will be both wider and taller.  As other have pointed out there is little consistency with tire measurements.  A 110 from one manufacturer might another's 130.  The goldentyre/shinko 140/80 is only marginally wider and taller than a dunlop 120/90

• Like 1

There's 2 different measurements I've been told/read somewhere. Euro, and everyone else. The euro is to the outside of the knobs, everyone else is to the carcass.

I measured a couple of mine, the Michy 140/80 was 140ish to the outer knobs, and the pirelli 120/100 is also 140 to the outside of the knobs. Both were close to 120 at the carcass. The pirelli is a lot taller. I'd run the Michy 140/80 on a 250, but I wouldn't the Pirelli, even though it's a 120.

I've also recently been looking at the motoz tires, their 130/90 is the same width as their 120/90 (according to their specs) even though it is taller. The 140 is only a couple of mm more too. They also spec them on different size rims, which is another thing to look for if you are specific about sizes.

motoz.jpg.5d13ac2a19ec86a3002205cd984f3011.jpg

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1