Skid plate Jerry rigging

Anyone think it would be possible to jerry rig one of these Cycra skid plates to my ‘01 steel frame 125? IMG_1715.JPG It’s made for an aluminum frame but I wasn’t sure if it’s possible to rig it up to fit somehow. I know they have aluminum skid plates for my bike, and I saw that Hyde makes a full coverage plastic one. Only problems is that I’m not looking for a full coverage plate, just the underside of my bike, and I’ve heard the aluminum skid plates rattle, so I’m just trying to feel out my options, thanks!

Some heavy duty zip tires or enlarge the holes if needed or use some band clamps sized as needed?

Trim off skid plate if needed.

IMO you can get creative to fit the bike once you have it

• Like 1

Some heavy duty zip tires or enlarge the holes if needed or use some band clamps sized as needed?
Trim off skid plate if needed.
IMO you can get creative to fit the bike once you have it

That’s what I figured would need to be done, at the very least. I was just hoping someone had done it before, but hey, I guess I’ll be the guinea pig lol
  • Like 1

I usually go to a metal recycler, and get aluminum plate for a skidplate,  for a couple dollars, cut it to shape with a jigsaw and metal blade. Stainless steel straps similar to zipties are available at auto stores, they use them for wrapping headers with heat wrap. Galvanized pipe strap with holes might work too, available at Home Depot or any hardware store

• Like 2

I usually go to a metal recycler, and get aluminum plate for a skidplate,  for a couple dollars, cut it to shape with a jigsaw and metal blade. Stainless steel straps similar to zipties are available at auto stores, they use them for wrapping headers with heat wrap. Galvanized pipe strap with holes might work too, available at Home Depot or any hardware store

Hmmm that’s an idea, I can get pipe straps from work as I am an electrical apprentice, so that would make it even cheaper. Only question, how did you go about bending it up the front of the frame? Or did you just leave it on the bottom only?

5 hours ago, yamahadude112 said:

Anyone think it would be possible to jerry rig one of these Cycra skid plates to my ‘01 steel frame 125? IMG_1715.JPG It’s made for an aluminum frame but I wasn’t sure if it’s possible to rig it up to fit somehow. I know they have aluminum skid plates for my bike, and I saw that Hyde makes a full coverage plastic one. Only problems is that I’m not looking for a full coverage plate, just the underside of my bike, and I’ve heard the aluminum skid plates rattle, so I’m just trying to feel out my options, thanks!

I have never had one rattle. Just use lock tite and tighten them up. I think a lot of these stories about rattling come from people that are half assing.

• Like 1

Got it all rigged up, it almost lined right up lol, only problem was there was no hole for the drain bolt so I just drilled a hole in the plastic big enough for a socket, easy peezy. And it doesn’t cover up front as far as I’d like but for $37.00 I’ll take itIMG_1717.JPG