Posted (edited)

This is my first post on here and I can’t seem to find anything like my problem. So my 2005 Honda CRF150F has a stutter about mid rpm with slight load on it, usually 3rd gear and up and it gets worse after it warms up. I’ve ordered a stator because that’s what everything points to but it’s not here yet. Any comments or recommendations about what it could be would be helpful.  

Also I forgot to mention I finished a engine rebuild on it about a month ago, had to replace the right crankcase.

Edit- I got a spark plug haven’t rode yet but this is the old one

I have been riding and there’s no improvement, guess I’ll have to wait for the stator ?

C2052AD5-6908-49BC-B6BF-DC40F9BAEE81.jpeg

Edited by Adamm42315

Can be just a "partially fouled plug" 

They act like that... 

Try a fresh plug first.,.as silly as it sounds...

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, mixxer said:

Can be just a "partially fouled plug" 

They act like that... 

Try a fresh plug first.,.as silly as it sounds...

Not silly at all I’ll try to pick one up tomorrow.. even if that isn’t the problem, it probably wouldn’t hurt to get a new one anyways lol

• Like 1

Probably would not hurt to adjust the engine valves, clean the air filter and properly re-oil the air filter while your at it.
Might as well cover all of the basics and get them out of the way while your at it.
Be sure to check the gap on the new spark plug. I never trust them to be “factory gapped” for every bike that the plug will work in....

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, adnohguy said:

Probably would not hurt to adjust the engine valves, clean the air filter and properly re-oil the air filter while your at it.
Might as well cover all of the basics and get them out of the way while your at it.
Be sure to check the gap on the new spark plug. I never trust them to be “factory gapped” for every bike that the plug will work in....

Thanks for the reply, I’ll do some research on valve adjustment and fiddle with that if the spark plug doesn’t fix it.

Posted (edited)

Throttle position sensor? I’m having the same problem with my 2008 yz450f. It’s sputters around 1/8-1/2 throttle opening. It will idle all day and when you juice it, it will take off no problem. I’m going to test the tps soon to see if it’s in spec. After that, I’m going to lean towards dropping the needle and richening the fuel. I’d like to hear what ales your problem when you figure it out. And I will also get back with my issue. 

Ps. Might sound silly but make sure your carb jets are cleaned right out and your accelerator pump is doing it’s job. 

Edited by Brooksy1989

A too-rich condition can also lead to stuttering.  A too-rich condition will also get worse as the bike warms up.  Have you done any jetting recently?  Is the float level correct?

7 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

No one asked .,,,,   do you have a well charged battery ??

2005 CRF150F doesn't have a battery.

My 07 has one ,  electric start ..  cleaned carb 3-4 times , ordered new one ,  while waiting , battery died .  Bought new one , installed it ,never had another problem ..  runs fine ,  still have new carb in box ....  Just stating facts ....

1 minute ago, bweighmaster said:

My 07 has one ,  electric start ..  cleaned carb 3-4 times , ordered new one ,  while waiting , battery died .  Bought new one , installed it ,never had another problem ..  runs fine ,  still have new carb in box ....  Just stating facts ....

'03-'05 are kickstart only, no battery. I had an '04. Just stating facts... :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I second the potential rich blubbering. My crf100 (when hot & humid or 1 clip to rich) will rich blubber at 1/8 to 3/8 throttle.

Edited by Spencerdiesel

Ok then...

As others have said...overly rich condition is also possible....

It would go along with it getting worse as the day warms up....

Dropping the needle by one clip position could clear it up...

I have also seen too much oil in air filter after servicing cause a bike to run too rich and do this...

• Like 1

2005 CRF150F doesn't have a battery.

Or a throttle position sensor ....

Or an Accelerator pump...

And no mention of a properly cleaned and re-oiled air filter.

We can read between the lines that the valves have not been adjusted lately (or ever)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply’s. So I cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves yesterday with no luck, I’ll try dropping the needle one clip and see if the changes anything.

airfilter is clean and oiled and gas is good, nothings stopped up, new spark plug, fuel filter is clean.

Looks like (from the picture) it might be running rich from the position of the clip. Document where the clip was before you move it. If moving it down makes it worse then revers and move it up (making it leaner) ?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Brooksy1989 said:

Looks like (from the picture) it might be running rich from the position of the clip. Document where the clip was before you move it. If moving it down makes it worse then revers and move it up (making it leaner) ?

So I moved it both ways by one and no difference at all. This thing is stressing me out ? 

Also if I put the choke on half way the throttle response isn’t as sluggish but it stutters worse

Edited by Adamm42315

Shit. Sorry to hear. That’s what’s likely going to happen with my bike as well but I will keep you posted on my repair. You said there’s not throttle position sensor? 

Ps. Once u move the needle clip the fuel mixture screw must be adjusted again but I’m sure you knew that already. Thanks for keeping me in the loop Adam 

1 hour ago, Brooksy1989 said:

Shit. Sorry to hear. That’s what’s likely going to happen with my bike as well but I will keep you posted on my repair. You said there’s not throttle position sensor? 

Ps. Once u move the needle clip the fuel mixture screw must be adjusted again but I’m sure you knew that already. Thanks for keeping me in the loop Adam 

Correct, There’s no tps

I give up I’ve tried literally everything lol I’m just going to wait for my stator and I’ll let y’all know if that fixes it