Calcium in Coolant?

I just checked my coolant after reading another post about the color of his coolant, & discovered that mine has some kind of build up on the cap & fill nozzle. It appears to be calcium or something similar, whitish & salty looking. Has anyone else seen this? The coolant is clear with a pink tint & the tubes in the radiator appear to be clean but the cap & fill nozzle had this crusty stuff. I've never seen anything like this in my previous YZ's. I always used 50/50 distilled water & Prestone in them.

Radiator 1.jpg

Radiator 2.jpg

Dump it and put in brand new fresh stuff. I use the five year stuff. 

I remember my 1989 CR500 came with white deposits in the radiators. The trick back then was to put Pepsi in the radiator to dissolve it. Likely you just need to flush yours with water unless you see something in between the water passages. 

I always dump the factory stuff pretty quick. Almost as quick as the break in oil. 

• Like 1

Dump it and put in brand new fresh stuff. I use the five year stuff. 
I remember my 1989 CR500 came with white deposits in the radiators. The trick back then was to put Pepsi in the radiator to dissolve it. Likely you just need to flush yours with water unless you see something in between the water passages. 
I always dump the factory stuff pretty quick. Almost as quick as the break in oil. 

Thanks Steve!
  • Like 1

You did not say how old the bike is or how many hours/miles on it or if this is the original coolant...not a lot of info given.

I would just change the coolant (its cheap and easy to do) and check frequently to see if it re-appears again...likely it won't.  Check the old coolant when you drain it...if there are deposits in the coolant, then flush your rad before you re-fill it. Make sure you use distilled water and proper mix.

Then monitor things closely....if it re-appears...then you may have an issue.

• Like 1

Since that calcium looks just like my faucets and shower heads after a few years with my hard arse water,  I suspect  the dealer has say a 50gln drum of pure coolant and uses the tap water to mix it instead of distilled water like suggested.

Very common even in {Brand New} cars and Trucks, That have been Driven for a bit. It's a reaction of the coolant with {minerals In the CAST Aluminium.}  You can use Distilled or Reverse Osmosis water all you want you will still get it!.  If you think that cast aluminum motor is 100% pure aluminum! I have News for Ya It's Not Even Close.  Even cheap Billet Aluminum is not pure.  Fact!! 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1