1985 XR600r bogs when accelerating quickly

I have a 1985 XR600r, I rebuilt the dual Carbs putting stock size main jets in, put a new XR foam air filter in it, new plug, set intake and exhaust valves to stock setting in service manual. The bike starts up and revs great. My issue is whenever I hammer the throttle very fast it tends to bog down and die. I didn’t notice any leaks in my air intake boots. I’m totally stumped, I don’t know if it could be a float measurement, ignition, different jets. Anything would help.

Im going to be putting on a supertrapp muffler and new bigger jets in the next couple weeks.

17 hours ago, Hoodjoe69 said:

I have a 1985 XR600r, I rebuilt the dual Carbs putting stock size main jets in, put a new XR foam air filter in it, new plug, set intake and exhaust valves to stock setting in service manual. The bike starts up and revs great. My issue is whenever I hammer the throttle very fast it tends to bog down and die. I didn’t notice any leaks in my air intake boots. I’m totally stumped, I don’t know if it could be a float measurement, ignition, different jets. Anything would help.

Im going to be putting on a supertrapp muffler and new bigger jets in the next couple weeks.

Try asking this over the XR600R/L XR650R forum. While some may consider your bike "vintage" for us it's still totally viable and there is a lot of talk about the twin carb XR/XL600s there.

Pretty common for a bog with a real quick twist ,as there is no accelerator pump like more modern machines. 

Try a bit richer on the pilot and see how it goes. Some bikes are worse than others.........

• Like 1

The adjustment between primary and secondary is important, make sure th secondary isn't opening too soon. 

10 hours ago, Muzz67 said:

Pretty common for a bog with a real quick twist ,as there is no accelerator pump like more modern machines. 

Try a bit richer on the pilot and see how it goes. Some bikes are worse than others.........

That’s what I thought, I think they are a vacuum acceleration based. The thing is when I pulled out my new plug after running it for a good 20min, it was fouled. The symptoms of it bogging seems lean but the plug makes me think it’s rich. I just got my supertrapp muffler in the mail so I’m going to try and put that on to see if that maybe leans it out a little more. Il update ya on it this weekend.

9 hours ago, RichBaker said:

The adjustment between primary and secondary is important, make sure th secondary isn't opening too soon. 

Alright, what’s the adjustment in between the two carbs? And how do I tell if the secondary carb is opening up too soon? Change the c clip position on the needle? Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Hoodjoe69 said:

That’s what I thought, I think they are a vacuum acceleration based. The thing is when I pulled out my new plug after running it for a good 20min, it was fouled. The symptoms of it bogging seems lean but the plug makes me think it’s rich. I just got my supertrapp muffler in the mail so I’m going to try and put that on to see if that maybe leans it out a little more. Il update ya on it this weekend.

The secondary carb is mechanically controlled, it's not vacuum acceleration based.  The adjustment of the progression is very important.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hoodjoe69 said:

Alright, what’s the adjustment in between the two carbs? And how do I tell if the secondary carb is opening up too soon? Change the c clip position on the needle? Thanks 

Its been 30 years, but I recall the adjustment being in the factory manual. It was an adjustment in the linkage between primary and secondary. The main thing was making sure the secondary was fully open when the primary was. I would make sure the secondary was barely topped out at that point...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Its been 30 years, but I recall the adjustment being in the factory manual. It was an adjustment in the linkage between primary and secondary. The main thing was making sure the secondary was fully open when the primary was. I would make sure the secondary was barely topped out at that point...

Alright, il refer back to that in the manual. Thanks for all the ideas and help