The year was 1974 when I was first introduced to Powroll, curtesy of Popular Cycling Magazine. Back in the late 1970’s, I had a Powroll equipped Honda SL100 that ran like a raped ape. Here are a few pictures from the August 1974 addition of Popular Cycling that got my blood flowing.

IMG_0563.JPGIMG_0564.JPGIMG_0565.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0568.JPG

• Like 10

Super cool Tom!

I also had a SL100 Honda...

My first Street legal bike while I was in high school.. "Enduro, Baby!"...!!

I bought mine as a cheap basket case.... But... No shit... It had a low slung Hooker Header exhaust on it! From when Hooker made some stuff for bikes!

I had a high comp big bore kit of like 116 huge CC's from Rocky's Cycle of Flint Michigan... A Powroll Cam... Porting... Me... LOL... 

Painted the frame white and had white Preston Petty front fender... Red tank...

Loved riding that bike to school at 16..!! Felt like a million bucks!!

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Back in the day I bought a brand new SL125. Took it home stripped it down, added knobby's, a cam and Hooker header and went racing. Obviously back then in the heyday of two-stokes I was very much in the minority. Fun bike!! Bullet proof!

1972.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, mixxer said:

I had a high comp big bore kit of like 116 huge CC's from Rocky's Cycle of Flint Michigan... A Powroll Cam... Porting... Me... LOL... 

I still occasionally shop at Rocky's.  They also have some vintage bikes on display.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tom Droze said:

The year was 1974 when I was first introduced to Powroll, curtesy of Popular Cycling Magazine.

Man, I read that same article. You still got that magazine?! I had a 72 CL100 that I sorta turned into an SL. Good grief, we're all a bunch of dinosaurs.  :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Very telling and don’t ask who wins the top end HP shoot out. 11.5 HP for a Powerall racer.  14 HP for a Yoshimura 125cc racer. Both 10:1 compression. 

The 145cc bike made 10.6 HP with 10:1. 

Hum so don’t believe just having a big cc bike will bring you top end HP. As I have heard and seen many times it has less HP on the top. Now that doesn’t mean the big cc bike won’t be more fun to ride or have less bottom end. It usually will produce more on the bottom unless something is mismatched. 

There are times when a good top end HP wins the day. Short shifting a bike that doesn’t rev doesn’t make it in flat track, road race, big HP hill climbs and in the hands of a expert racer that knows how to use the top end power. 

But not to take anything away from the Powerall of the past or the current builds on here. Not everyone can use the most HP on top end type of bikes in dirt bike riding or want to. 

I go for a somewhat balanced mix on my 230-250cc bored, ported, PWK carb, pipe engine and I know a lot of people don’t like the Web 89a cam. But I do as it provides some top end rpm HP to the equation of more cc’s. 

I think the tough part of a lot of cc’s is the ports and valves will only allow so much flow on the top. But that doesn’t stop a monster bottom end torquer. It’s just the beginning. The fun part about these bikes is there are so many different ways to build them. We don’t see that too much in other models. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Doogee57 said:

we're all a bunch of dinosaurs. 

When kids (in their 40's) call me a dinosaur I say; "That's alright, dinosaurs are badass. It took an asteroid to take them out"  :banana:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Favorite Powroll sticker:

IMG_0345.JPG

I still got a couple of those that are between the pages of two Powroll catalogs I have from my Dad and uncle!  

• Like 4

In fact take a look at my visor and you’ll see a Powroll sticker! I’m riding a very hot 450cc xl350 in a champion frame with 73-74 cr250m forks and hubs laced to 19” rims? Ran this in vintage single, Open  amateur and a couple pro races before I scored a ride on a ex factory RS600? This is 1994 

9AE95516-F08D-405C-888E-5F7690E4E428.jpeg

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Tom Droze said:

The year was 1974 when I was first introduced to Powroll, curtesy of Popular Cycling Magazine. Back in the late 1970’s, I had a Powroll equipped Honda SL100 that ran like a raped ape. Here are a few pictures from the August 1974 addition of Popular Cycling that got my blood flowing.

Thanks for your commitment to the sport!!

• Like 3

1977 went to Oregon and interviewed with Mary Petty( Mrs Preston Petty), but Petty had just been bought out by Scott and was going to move to Phoenix.  So stopped by Powroll but they didn't have any positions available.  Still have a sticker on my old toolbox.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevetheSnake said:

Whippersnapper! 

Yeah, what he said :smirk:   I was 17 in 1974 and would have loved to have had one of those powroll motors for my sled. But 300+ bucks was a lot of cash for a dude makin a buck eighty and hour at McDonalds.

And Tom, could you post more pictures of the whole article (pics, captions, & everything) so I could read the whole thing again. Just for old times sake?  :applause:

• Like 4

I myself am 1961 vintage....

Some of you got me by a couple years....

• Like 3

See the number on the sled pictured to your left? That's the year I was 'bornded'. Peak year of the baby boom.:D

• Like 2