Motocrossing the Dual Sport

I just bought a complete second set of rims & rotors & sprocket for my 500 EXC-F so I can put full dirt tires on it when I want to go to the track. I got the Tusk rims from RMATV & went with a 50 tooth rear sprocket & Michelin Star Cross 5 Medium tires front & back. I took it to a track last week & the tires hooked up great! The 50 tooth made it way more responsive too to the point that it is scary fast since it comes on so quick! Here’s a few shots from the ride. The track didn’t have any cool jumps to air it out on but it had great berms to blast!

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

If the video is blurry go to settings at the bottom of the video & set it for the highest resolution. It defaults to auto with a low resolution.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, cadman_ks said:

It is a blast to go to the track with a tag on your bike!!!

I agree! Look at my tag line at the bottom of my posts! It comes from a true story!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, YZJeffro64 said:

How many teeth on your front sprocket? How many links in the chain?

My front sprocket is the stock 14 tooth. I had to buy a 140 link chain because it was the next size up from the stock 118, & I think I wound up with 120 links. I'm fixing to swap back to the dual sport rims & tires so I'll compare chains when I take it off.

• Like 1

My front sprocket is the stock 14 tooth. I had to buy a 140 link chain because it was the next size up from the stock 118, & I think I wound up with 120 links. I'm fixing to swap back to the dual sport rims & tires so I'll compare chains when I take it off.

So I guess the 120 link chain I have should work with the 48T rear and 14T front?IMG_9188.JPG

So I guess the 120 link chain I have should work with the 48T rear and 14T front?IMG_9188.thumb.JPG.1e611dd124c1a1e814d29e5522fa2618.JPG

I have a 45T on back now

2 hours ago, YZJeffro64 said:

So I guess the 120 link chain I have should work with the 48T rear and 14T front?IMG_9188.JPG
I have a 45T on back now

I swapped back to my dual sport wheels today & compared chains, the 50 tooth sprocket requires 2 more links than stock. I cut 24 links out of the new 140 link chain, so with the larger sprocket I'm running 116 links. Apparently stock is 114, not 118 like RMATV claims. 

I like your graphics! Where did you get them?

I swapped back to my dual sport wheels today & compared chains, the 50 tooth sprocket requires 2 more links than stock. I cut 24 links out of the new 140 link chain, so with the larger sprocket I'm running 116 links. Apparently stock is 114, not 118 like RMATV claims. 
I like your graphics! Where did you get them?
[/quote
Thanks for the info
I got the graphics from HG Graphics, I think they came from Sweden.... semi custom
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, rustyg61 said:

Hummm...

That's weird.  On my '16, I have a 13T up front, and a 50T in the rear, and my records indicate that I have a 118 link chain.  I'm surprised that you're actually SHORTER than I am.  

Did something change about the swingarm length of position of the counter shaft on the '17 and up bikes???

Interesting...

44 minutes ago, cadman_ks said:

Hummm...

That's weird.  On my '16, I have a 13T up front, and a 50T in the rear, and my records indicate that I have a 118 link chain.  I'm surprised that you're actually SHORTER than I am.  

Did something change about the swingarm length of position of the counter shaft on the '17 and up bikes???

Interesting...

In 2017 KTM changed just about everything...... Including gearing

1 hour ago, YZJeffro64 said:

In 2017 KTM changed just about everything...... Including gearing

Yes, I realize that.  However, if they swingarm length didn't change much, and the position of the countershaft didn't change much, then the overall length of chain on a 13/50 should be LESS than the overall length of chain on 14/50, and it's different by 2 links.  On a 520 chain, that's 1 1/4".  That's a lot for the swingarm/countershaft position to move, even if half that amount.

I suppose that it's possible that my 118 is wrong as well, but I'm almost sure the last time that I bought chain, I bought 120 links, and cut two off, to get to 118 links...

I remember now that I DID have 116 link chain with the 13/50 setup, and it only took about 5 minutes of riding with a new tire on the rear, and I had worn completely thru the inner mud flap.  That's why I went to 118.

SO, 116 will work, but when you have a new tire, your mud flap may not last long...

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, cadman_ks said:

Hummm...

Interesting...

I didn't count the actual links on both chains, I just counted the number of links I removed from the new 140 link chain & subtracted them from 140. I did lay both chains out side by side & verified that the new chain is 2 links longer than the old chain.