rmx 250 engine rebuild problem - Help!

Hi,

New to the forum though I've been getting info from it for quite some time.

I have a 1997 rmx250 that I had to rebuild the engine on. Had to send off the crank to get rebuilt as it had seized. Now everything is rebuilt, took it to a proper mechanic to avoid making any mistake, and he is claiming that the crank wasn't rebuilt properly. So I called the machine shop that rebuilt it, and they checked their records and are claiming that they did rebuild it properly, and that it is in fact impossible to rebuild it in a way that would screw things up the way they are now. The issue - the keyway should be at TDC for ignition but the closest the mechanic can get it is about 45 degrees off. And this guy rebuilds engines every day, he knows what he's doing, so do the people at the machine shop. So, I'm at a loss as to what could cause the timing to be off like that. It's possible that I screwed up something taking things apart and putting them back together.

Any ideas?

Your engine Rebuilder is high or something there no way could rebuild the crank and have keyway off 45°. Has he put the stator in to see at tdc keyway faces forward not up . Just like pic above