2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM cranks but won't start

I have a 2006 DRZ400SM and it won't start. So far, I've changed the spark plug, ignition coil, and CDI to no avail. There is no spark. The battery would not charge a while back, so I changed the stator. Could the stator have anything to do with it? What else could it be? I also replaced the petcock because I was getting fuel in my oil. I've gone thru the carburator, which had nothing to do with spark. I'm at a loss. 

More history would be helpful.  When did it run last, symptoms of when it died etc. Did the "no spark" start with the stator replacement?

With everything changed at once it is vary hard to unravel which component is at fault. Yes it could be the stator.  Replacement stators do sometimes not play nice. Stator brand and source and price?

Regulator rectifiers (RR) don't have much to do with the motor running beyond charging the battery, Ignition coils seldom fail, CDIs seldom fail. Stators do fail and as said above replacements do not always fix the problem. 

Verify the replacement CDI is for a S/SM. Verify 12 volts dc on the orange with white trace wire to the CDI. Verify the side stand interlock is not killing sparks. (green wire in the larger CDI plug grounded some place)

Noble, thanks. The stator was the first thing that we replaced due to the battery not charging. I believe that's when we started having the issue. It ran for a while and then it started acting like it was miss firing, maybe? This is actually my son-in-law's bike and I've been helping him try to get it going. He doesn't remember-is been a while since he changed the stator- when it was running(If it was before the stator was changed our after). My thought has always been the stator, but we haven't got back in there to look at it or test it because I don't have a multi meter, yet, and we both figured, since it was new, that that would be the last thing we checked (probably not the right thing to do). We then replaced the ignition coil and then the CDI, which is for the s/sm. 

Posted (edited)

It's my understanding that the stator on DRZ400SM only produces AC current which is then converted to DC current to charge the battery and the CDI gets it's power from the battery. Am I correct? If I'm correct, would the stator even have anything to do with the spark? I do understand that there is a sensor, if you will, inside the crank case that sends signal to the CDI to tell it when to send the spark to the plug. Is that correct? Below is the stator that he bought. 

30D2AB8E-9EDC-44E2-B894-94F09116A1E2.jpeg

Edited by AfricanGenius
Added photo

Well yes and no.  Yes, the stator charges the battery and the motor runs off the battery but there are also 2 coils in the stator that are needed for the CDI to make sparks.  The external pick-up coil and 1 of the internal coils.  (black and white wire set and blue and green wire set in the smaller CDI plug)

Ricky stator is a good product.  Probably not that.  If you knew for sure it ran at least briefly with the new stator we can say the stator was good from the suppler. However there are several common pit falls to replacing the stator.  Wire not under the wire guards get rubbed by the flywheel and/or the pick-up coil installed upside down or backwards.  Here is a picture of a stator correctly installed. (yes it is burned and probably not good),

imageproxy.jpg

That was my thinking, as well, because he believes that it ran after he installed the the new stator, for a brief time, so we will pull the crank case cover tonight and check it out. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks, again!!

Opened the case and the stator wires were toast. The retainer clip that holds the stator wires down broke off and and the wires got into the flywheel. Unfortunately, the clip damaged the flywheel, but I've got to get a puller before we can get it all back together and running. 

23 hours ago, Noble said:

Well yes and no.  Yes, the stator charges the battery and the motor runs off the battery but there are also 2 coils in the stator that are needed for the CDI to make sparks.  The external pick-up coil and 1 of the internal coils.  (black and white wire set and blue and green wire set in the smaller CDI plug)

Ricky stator is a good product.  Probably not that.  If you knew for sure it ran at least briefly with the new stator we can say the stator was good from the suppler. However there are several common pit falls to replacing the stator.  Wire not under the wire guards get rubbed by the flywheel and/or the pick-up coil installed upside down or backwards.  Here is a picture of a stator correctly installed. (yes it is burned and probably not good),

imageproxy.jpg

We inspected the flywheel and noticed that there is damage to the flywheel, possibly from the bracket that holds the stator write down, from when the previous owner had the bike. I found a used flywheel, which is an aftermath. Is there anything wrong with using an aftermarket flywheel or anything that we need to do differently upon installing an aftermarket flywheel?

The Trailtech flywheels were lighter. That may be good or bad for you.  Some of the Trailtech flywheels were defective and caused stator failures.  I do not know good ones from the bad ones. Or maybe all the bad ones were recalled???.  I believe they do not have the hex to hold the crank from turning.

Sounds like what happened to me on my old Suzuki dr650se. I tested everything, and after some research found that the culprit was most likely my pickup coil. 

Base812, we actually found out that the stator wire clip, inside the crankcase, that holds the wire down against the crankcase wall, broke off and caused the wiring to get into the flywheel and shredded the wires. Because the wiring clip broke, we had to replace the flywheel, as well, because the clip tore up the inside of the flywheel.