Hi guys. Not directly a bike related thread by any stretch but definitely an odd one I’m looking for opinions on.

So recently I traded my cr250 for a 1994 Pontiac trans am. If any of you guys are as big into cars as you are into bikes, it’s the 350 efi lt1 with a 4l60e trans. Very powerful.

Back to the story: the guy I bought it from had a kid who he doesn’t see anymore, and he’s now selling this project car they had. It sat on a trailer for about 6 months with the intake manifold, fuel rail and intake gaskets off, half ass plugged the valley with a sweater. The cars absolutely mint 137000kms, no rust or nothing. After sitting for 6 months, I pick it up and get to wrenching on it. I noticed some water on the dipstick when I checked and it was concerning but I expected as much. And then it happened...

Time to change the oil, I get under and crack the drain bolt. A good 3 litres of straight water came out before any oil. Luckily it hadn’t run within those 6 months of sitting, so no water circulated, it just sat in the pan mixed with oil.

I’m a mechanic myself and I’ve never had so much water come from any car I’ve serviced, I’m wondering if I’m okay or if this may be an issue? You’d think being a mechanic I should know the answer to this but Ive never seen this before lmao. I’m optimistic and thinking that because it did still have oil in there, pickup, pump, bearings etc are probably still okay. If it had circulated, that would’ve been an issue. I have already flushed it twice with new fresh oil to drive out any other water, but it has not run yet. (Waiting on fuel pressure relief valve part to arrive)

I’d be pumping WD-40 through there to displace any water and soften any rust that might have formed. 350 is one of the great motors of all time and parts are cheap... have fun with it!

• Like 1

If the water was just sitting in the pan, you will be fine. If you want, drop the pan and clean it. Otherwise, put cheap dino oil in it, run it for thirty minutes, then do another oil change.

• Helpful 1

I'd pull the engine, remove the pan, and look. Lifters, and cam are suspect, as well. All that water drained over and thru the sweater in the valley...

10 hours ago, William1 said:

If the water was just sitting in the pan, you will be fine. If you want, drop the pan and clean it. Otherwise, put cheap dino oil in it, run it for thirty minutes, then do another oil change.

Yes it had just been sitting in the pan mixed with the old oil. It never ran or circulated. I cleaned the entire valley out and did a sitting flush - just dumped a jug of clean 10-30 down the valley to flush the rest of the water out. Hopefully it’s all good

11 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

I'd pull the engine, remove the pan, and look. Lifters, and cam are suspect, as well. All that water drained over and thru the sweater in the valley...

I would, but I’ve just got done dropping a 318 into my ‘84 d100 and I’m not looking to drop something that I can hardly fit the stock intake into. It is a very “compact” engine bay. Changing plugs was a hassle lol. 

How did you ever make out with the car? My guess is that the intake gaskets let go and leaked out internally into the engine. At least that's the easiest part to start with. Did you change the oil and then fire the engine up? If so, how did it run? Did it smoke and or misfire?