Looking at getting a new bike

About to pull the trigger on a 2015 te250 but have found a couple crf450x for a little cheaper

How do they compare to a te 250

I do mostly trail riding and single track and like to explore

I've heard the early crf's had head problems

Theres a few 2006 models is this year good or should I look for a later model if I do go crf route

some dont care much for the 4cs forks of the TE.  some say they work better if revalved and sorted out at a suspension shop.  apart from that id take the TE all day.  i also find that most all bikes need suspension work out of the gate to suit your style so if you budget that in you are gtg.  I like the husky linkage.  forks on a 2006 bike may need plenty of work anyway.  most people dont service their suspension by every 60 hours, so older bikes will likely need some TLC regardless.  the older the bike, the bigger the x-factor, unless you know the owner knew his scheissa and did proper maintenance.  Last thing you want is to inherit a bubba's bike thats been sloppily worked on.  i like to always preserve a baseline budget for the bike, and a post-purchase budget to fine tune everything. best wishes

Whatever bike I end up buying I'm gonna have suspension revalved and correctly set up as soon as possible
I'm still leaning towards the husqvarna and 2 stroke in general
Like the simplicity and love working on them
Mainly considering another 4 stroke for the extra fuel range
I like being able to go for long hauls and not worry about running out of gas

If you’re doing trail and single track riding, the TE is a no brainer. You will be alot less tired and cheaper on the wallet riding the two stroke. If you were desert riding, thats when I would be leaning more towards a 450x.

• Like 1

depending the range of your ride, you can always get a tank with slightly more capacity and can carry an extra liter of fuel in your pack no problem.  

There is a solution to the long-range open space riding vs. lesser range singletrack riding vs whatever requirements your riding region presents to you:

Buy both types of bikes, eventually. Let the first bike be suited to the riding you will likely do more of, and as money allows, expand your options. 

Over time, Ive built up a few different horses in my stable for different riding styles.  

Personal preference speaking, as much as I love my 4 strokes, my two-stroke is by far the most fun to ride.

Its all up to what floats your boat.

I just looked at your profile and saw you were in BC.  

If I was in BC I'd definitely get the Husky 2 stroke. 

Just my opinion. Enjoy whatever works for you.

• Like 1

Aside from 2 vs 4 stroke, suspension, performance, the CRF450X weighs a porky 272lbs,  

not sure about the TE but it is likely considerably less.

Would an mx 2 stroke be a better bike than mx 4 stroke for trails and easier to tame down
Ideally I would like to get a husky but I might not have quite enough money yet and need to get back out riding
Mx bikes go for a lot cheaper in my area and easier to come by used

Aside from 2 vs 4 stroke, suspension, performance, the CRF450X weighs a porky 272lbs,  
not sure about the TE but it is likely considerably less.

I believe the te is only 220-230 lbs so a significant difference lol

2 hours ago, Strachan5.9 said:

Would an mx 2 stroke be a better bike than mx 4 stroke for trails and easier to tame down
Ideally I would like to get a husky but I might not have quite enough money yet and need to get back out riding

You will absolutely notice that weight difference.  A lighter bike is way more fun to manhandle through the trails, easier too.

Id absolutely avoid a MX bike unless riding a track- regardless of whether its a 2t or 4t.  You want an enduro-style gear ratio.  Power delivery and gearing on a MX bike will be a royal pain in the arse on singletrack and forest trails. Can it be used? Sure, but its not going to give you a pleasurable ride, most variables considered.  You can turn a hammer into an axe, i suppose, but why not just get the proper tool for the job?

If you sort out the suspension on that Husky, Im willing to bet you will be super stoked about your purchase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Strachan5.9 said:

Ya know, if only there were some type of centralized worldwide depository of information where we could look up stuff like this rather than throwing out inaccurate or incomplete information.

2015 TE250 230 lbs DRY WEIGHT.  CRF450X weight thrown out here is WET weight.

Add about 20 lbs for fuel, coolant, oil in the TE250 so about 250 lbs vs. 272....not the 40-50 lighter that you had implied with incomplete information.  So...about 20-25 lbs lighter...which is significant.

Getting good advice above for your stated riding the TE250 will be a much better bike.

Edited by SilvFx