What do I need to do to get my starter to turn over quicker?

Been racing my 06 450x for three years now in XC and GP's, and have yet to get off the dead start line before those KTM's and husky's. Seems like they barely turn over and there two bike lengths on me every time. I bought a new battery with 224cca and that didn't make the starter run any faster. Had an electrician tell me to run another ground wire from the battery to another grounding spot and use bigger wire.? I don't know. Any thoughts? I pulled the starter and replaced the brushes which might have helped 10% maybe. 

Honda if your listening I could use some help or I might decide to go with one of those other brands. 

what about the auto-decompression assembly failing or condition of valve lash making it slower to start?

Would assume that you have checked the decompression adjustment, carb tuning is spot on, you are using a slipper piston, and still have TI valves?   Have you disconnected the pink wire, put in an R cam/head/exhaust, or done anything else?

Beyond all that, there's not much you can do. 

Jim.

• Like 2

If you haven't tried already you need to hold the button while kicking at the same time, instant start up!

• Like 1

i'll the second that the carb needs to be dialed in for e-button-once firing

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Put a compression gauge on it and crank it over. Should have about 50psi when cranking. if its higher adjust the decompression clearance tighter to get a lower psi. Could even set it to 45psi and it would crank over faster. Might have to play around with it though, too little compression and it might take longer to start. 52psi is the stock setting I believe. i have mine set at 50psi and it starts as soon as i hit the button. 

Also on the battery wire, Get a multimeter and put one lead on the battery ground and the other on the starter case. Set the meter to DC 12V and crack it over. if you read more then 0.5v you have a connection /bad wire problem. Do the same on the positive side from the battery to the positive post on the starter. you may have a slightly higher reading on the positive side as it goes through the starter relay. 

hope that helps.

Nick

Edited by nk86
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was just going to chock it up to being a four stroke trying to start against a two stroke. The Bike always starts, just turns over slow, but I think it depends where in the stroke it stops. There's time where it starts right up and others it take like the full cycle to start. 

Seems like the decompression is where I need to start looking first. It is a stock motor and there might be some adjusting needed. The other day I started it in second gear with the clutch in on the line and it took right off. Last weekend I was second to last leaving the line. Wound up 3rd at the end. Anyway Ill check these things out and report back what I can find. In the mean time will still leave a few huskys and KTM's behind..?

Do what I used to do... on dead engine starts use the starter button at the same time kick the motor over too.  Of course the motor fires a little faster if the taranny is in neutral too.

• Like 1

LiFe battery has about 1 volt more than a stock lead acid battery. It will crank about 7% faster. Dead engine starts also will be faster if you have the fuel screw set right, even slightly lean for a hot engine.