Which go pro camera works best for capturing riding footage?

Just like the title says, looking for the best go pro for this summer rides. I'm looking at getting an earlier model possibly refurbished. Worried about wind noise mostly. Dont need 4k, 1080p should work fine.

• Like 1

This isn't really answering your question, but.....

We just got a good deal on a GoPro Hero7 Black from amazon for $399 shipped.  We bought it for our oldest daughter. She's a marine biology major at UNF and she needed to dpocument research dives. Crazy thing, growing up she was never interested in sports, physical fitness or anything like that. Now, she's dives with sharks and alligators....freaking crazy.

none, its best to strap the people you want to show to your handlebars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My advice it to get the best camera in your budget.

Definitely get image stabilization, probably standard on most cams now.

Nothing is worse than a bouncy action video where you can't focus due to a blurry image.

I bought my son a Session, basically the camera minus the viewing screen. You connect your cell phone via wifi and download the videos to your phone via the Go-Pro app.

Takes great video with audio and great pictures too. It is primarily a helmut cam but we have the floating handle for the pool. Audio works underwater too.

Their are many good cams out there. Search youtube for video from the ones your interested in.

Thanks for the info. The video stabilization was not even on my mind, I'll check out those Sony ones. Maybe save a few bucks staying away from a go pro

• Like 1

I've used the Hero 4 Black for 2 1/2 years, really good camera. The 5 and 6 were crap, the 7 is supposed to be good. I'm thinking a used Hero 4 Black could be had pretty damn cheap. 

• Like 1

I looked at some of them on Amazon, my friend was talking about them he said the same thing. What makes the black so special?

The 7 has much better stabilisation.

The 3 plus (3+) and better can do 4K in some capacity. I believe any of the session nodels can do 4K.

The 4 black can do better 4K (more fps means smoother and better slow motion).

The "2018" can be software modded to be the same as a 5 black. I should have found that out before they stopped selling them here.

People in Aus still want $250 for the 4's second hand., which you could buy the 2018 for $230 new. But no more. Now the 5 is the cheapest at $400.

I've been looking for over a year now and haven't found one second hand that would justify me not just buying one new.

2 years ago it was sony that had the best camera, I haven't looked into it now the 7 is out, either way, they were big out of my price range.

Short answer, if you want GoPro, get the newest you can afford to get better stabilisation and video quality.

Ps. The Sony was more expensive than GoPro when I looked. $700 vs $900 aud

Yeah, I looked up the Sony ones, probably getting a black 4, found one that has a scratch on it, says it works fine but has cosmetic damage.

Purchased the Akaso V50 Pro on Ebay for $110 with a 32G mini card. It shoots up to 4k 30FPS and has the video stabilization in 4k. I got a chance to try it a week ago and came away extremely impressed. Video was awesome, no wind noise noticed. It can shoot up to 170 degree angle, under water and can be set for various activities, plus many other options. It comes with a wrist band switch to turn the camera off/on, plus allows to take snap shots. Also come with 2-90 minute batteries and various mounting attachments.

If you shoot in 4k the 32G card will only hold about 75-90 minutes of video. I purchased a 64G card and will try it @ 1080p 60fps next ride to see if I can tell a difference.

I mounted it on the chin guard of my helmet, which worked out great because I could look down to see if the blue light was flashing to let me know if the camera was recording.

I will be trying it on my chest protector too, seems like I would my head around to much, LOL. It's like any new toy, just got to play around with it till I find how to use it to my liking.

Hero 3+ works fine for my needs. It really depends on what you are going to do with the footage. If just recording yourself, posting to YouTube, Hero 3+ and beyond will all work. I don't know about newer cams because mine works fine.

I also run a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30, which is nice because it records heart rate and GPS data, as well as about 15 other sensors (G-force, etc.). Has voice control, live stream to YouTube, 3D image stabilization, etc. I use it to make short recordings like this:

Edited by LSHD

If you want realistic footage, turn off the stabilization and mount it to your chin, for more cinematic or scenic style recording I would turn it back on. Some of my fastest runs and most sketchy situations looked completely tame with stabilization. One of my slowest runs recorded without stabilization looked like I was going stupidly fast. The reason you mount to the chin is because your head can work as a stabilizer, but if you mount to the bike(depending) you should probably keep it on.

If 1080p is all you're worried about, just go with a Hero 4 silver.

Video compression on streaming sites is going to kill any supposed quality advantage you might get with a newer camera anyway.

Hero 4 silver vid for reference

I have a yi action camera. I think mine is the lite model. My own experience is you will run out of battery faster than you will space for video. The lite does 1080p at 60fps but has like a 25 minute battery life at best recording at that settings. I’m satisfied with the camera but things could be better. Look into it. I think they run $75. At that price it’s almost worth the gamble.

Purchased the Akaso V50 Pro on Ebay for $110 with a 32G mini card. It shoots up to 4k 30FPS and has the video stabilization in 4k. I got a chance to try it a week ago and came away extremely impressed. Video was awesome, no wind noise noticed. It can shoot up to 170 degree angle, under water and can be set for various activities, plus many other options. It comes with a wrist band switch to turn the camera off/on, plus allows to take snap shots. Also come with 2-90 minute batteries and various mounting attachments.
If you shoot in 4k the 32G card will only hold about 75-90 minutes of video. I purchased a 64G card and will try it @ 1080p 60fps next ride to see if I can tell a difference.
I mounted it on the chin guard of my helmet, which worked out great because I could look down to see if the blue light was flashing to let me know if the camera was recording.
I will be trying it on my chest protector too, seems like I would my head around to much, LOL. It's like any new toy, just got to play around with it till I find how to use it to my liking.

I have a couple of GoPros but there are some really cool cameras now on Amazon and eBay with hundreds of positive reviews.
If you’re on a budget I’d start there.

@Blue Dawn Enduro

which do you have? I really like the image quality in your vids and colors. Also quite crash proof huh?

what about batteries on yours? I sometimes go through 5 in one ride with my hero4black

Do you really want a "GoPro" (trademarked brand) camera? or just an action camera (generic term)

I've been using a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 for a couple of years. I love the GPS data that can be shown on the screen. DJI just released their GoPro competitor this past week, and its getting great reviews.

IMHO, the GoPro 5 & 6 models were not impressive. Sony, Garmin and others had better high end cameras, and there are tons of cheap Chinese clones for a lot less money.

The best “GoPro” isn’t made my GoPro. The Garmin Virb is way cooler for action sports like dirt biking because it incorporates GPS and accelerometers and overlays them on the video, like this one...

That said, if you want to step into the future, it is a Rylo 360 camera...

My advice, if you want traditional action cam footage, skip the GoPro and get the Virb. I have many GoPros. There’s no comparison. If you want the future, get the Rylo. If you have the funds, get both!
  • Like 2