New rear tire ?

I am fairly new to the dirtbike world, got my first dirtbike (2008 Honda crf250r) in December and I love it.

So yesterday while I was riding the woods I heard a small pop followed by the sound of air leaving the tire, I stopped and realized immediately that I had punctured my tire,fortunately I was not very far from home, so I carefully rode back home thinking I just needed to get a new tube. When I arrived, this is what I found (see photos)

The tire is a metzeler mc360 Mid-Hard with about 10 hours in it, it gripped decently in the type of terrain I ride and seemed to have a good thread life but I am now a bit disappointed in its strength, didn't think this would happen on a tire designed for hard terrain, but I understand that this could probably happen to any tire. I see no way of repairing the tire and so I need a bit of help choosing a new one.

I ride woods/trail with lots of hillclimbs, full of rocks and roots. I think a mid-hard or hard tire is ideal for this type of terrain.

I have a goldentyre fatty in the front and I like it a lot, I wanted a goldentyre gt333 for the bakc but I just can't find anyone that sells it in Europe.

I don't need a DOT tire, I need a 19 tire that grips well with decent thread life, I don't want to be changing it every 15 hours

IMG_20190416_183624.jpg

IMG_20190416_171927.jpg

IMG_20190416_183311.jpg

IMG_20190416_183333.jpg

Edited by Thater
Typo

1 hour ago, pjblanke916 said:

I use Kenda on everything and haven't had any puncture issues, but then again I've never had any puncture issues like that. Is that wood?

Yep, Kenda Washougal II seems to be the best all around tire made right now, and for a lot less money than the trendy ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

MX bike for the woods? ?‍♂️

Hard tire for hard terrain? ?‍♂️

Son, you are all bassackwards on everything.  Enduro bike for the woods, soft tire for hard terrain is the way to go.

A lot of guys use mx bikes for the woods with no problem.  Its all in the setup.

But personally, I agree an offroad or enduro oriented bike would be better. ?

Lets be correct here.  Proportionally, a few guys, mostly fast experts can get away with using MX bikes in the woods. Anyone else running an MX bike in the woods is a newbie who doesn't know any better.  Otherwise a large majority of people are running enduro bikes in the woods.  ?

43 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

MX bike for the woods? ?‍♂️

Hard tire for hard terrain? ?‍♂️

Son, you are all bassackwards on everything.  Enduro bike for the woods, soft tire for hard terrain is the way to go.

Yeah, I ride an MX in the woods and have no problem ?‍♂️, its a dirtbike,seems pretty simple to me...

What I mean when I said hard tire is the version of the tire, for example a metzeler mid-hard is supposed to be used in hard terrain

Edited by Thater
  • Like 2

The MC360 is an excellent tire, this is just a sharp piece of wood that was likely attached to a log or something that may have been buried.  I doubt any other tire would have fared better.  Write this one off to "shit happens".

You will find that the mid-hard MC360 outlasts any other tire.  I run them on dry hardpack with loose rocks.  They hook up great in a wide range of terrain and they last far longer than any of the current offerings from Dunlop or Michelin.  I smoked a Kenda Trakmaster in about three weeks on the same bike that has yet to finish off the MC360 after months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Lets be correct here.  Proportionally, a few guys, mostly fast experts can get away with using MX bikes in the woods. Anyone else running an MX bike in the woods is a newbie who doesn't know any better.  Otherwise a large majority of people are running enduro bikes in the woods.  ?

My very fast kids that have been riding for many years both ride CRF450Rs offroad. Skill level and riding style have a lot to do with it. A lot of really fast guys prefer mx bikes.

But, your woods may differ from our woods for the very same reason a lot of guys don't use barkbusters around here. Bushy trees and more open, in fact a lot of our trails are perfect for a skilled rider on an mx bike.

My point is, generalizations in the world of dirtbikes is hopeless.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Wow That must mean I am a fast expert ? I use both a CR250R and a CRF450R in the woods without a second of trouble, and yes I know the difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thater said:

I am fairly new to the dirtbike world, got my first dirtbike (2008 Honda crf250r) in December and I love it.

So yesterday while I was riding the woods I heard a small pop followed by the sound of air leaving the tire, I stopped and realized immediately that I had punctured my tire,fortunately I was not very far from home, so I carefully rode back home thinking I just needed to get a new tube. When I arrived, this is what I found (see photos)

The tire is a metzeler mc360 Mid-Hard with about 10 hours in it, it gripped decently in the type of terrain I ride and seemed to have a good thread life but I am now a bit disappointed in its strength, didn't think this would happen on a tire designed for hard terrain, but I understand that this could probably happen to any tire. I see no way of repairing the tire and so I need a bit of help choosing a new one.

I ride woods/trail with lots of hillclimbs, full of rocks and roots. I think a mid-hard or hard tire is ideal for this type of terrain.

I have a goldentyre fatty in the front and I like it a lot, I wanted a goldentyre gt333 for the bakc but I just can't find anyone that sells it in Europe.

I don't need a DOT tire, I need a 19 tire that grips well with decent thread life, I don't want to be changing it every 15 hours

IMG_20190416_183624.jpg

IMG_20190416_171927.jpg

IMG_20190416_183311.jpg

IMG_20190416_183333.jpg

Metzeler is a good tire, that is just strange that happened, I can't say it wouldn't have happened given any tire you ride with, just an unlucky bounce, I wouldn't let that taint your view of Metzeler tires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dodging_roost said:

Metzeler is a good tire, that is just strange that happened, I can't say it wouldn't have happened given any tire you ride with, just an unlucky bounce, I wouldn't let that taint your view of Metzeler tires.

Well, they did what I needed them to do, just disappointed that this happened.

But maybe I should give them another chance.

4 hours ago, carter lyford said:

You can never go wrong with a Dunlop mx 33

I ride some really nasty rock gardens, from what I see I don't think the mx33 would fair well in this terrain.

2 hours ago, MIxr650r said:

Save the money and get Kenda. I’ve been running them for years on all types of terrain.

Are they really worth it ?

They are very expensive around here

A Kenda washougal goes for 95 euros, I can get a geomax mx52 for 57 euros, Bridgestone x30 for 55 euros, Pirelli mx32 for 64 euros and even the metzeler I used was 62 euros.

A dirt bike is a dirt bike, ride what you can afford and what you have fun on... I’ve rode “motocross bikes” all my life in the woods beaches and anywhere else I could all my life and it’s been a blast.
As far as the tire, just bad luck... could of happened to any tire, may not happen ever again , might happen tomorrow ??‍♂️

• Like 1

Lets be correct here.  Proportionally, a few guys, mostly fast experts can get away with using MX bikes in the woods. Anyone else running an MX bike in the woods is a newbie who doesn't know any better.  Otherwise a large majority of people are running enduro bikes in the woods.  [emoji41]
You sir are a Moto snob...

I ride a 01 CR250 on everything. Enduro, MX, single track, Moab, race hare scrambles with it.

My 70y/o pops rides a 91 CR250 on Colorado single track....

I'm definitely not a newbie as you put it nor a pro and have fun in the woods, beat plenty of your coveted Enduro bikes in hare scrambles and most of all, I'm not snobby about what people ride. It's about getting out, riding, and having a good time.

As for the tire puncture... That's pretty crazy. Never seen that happen before. I'm due for a new tire as well and leaning towards the Kenda.

• Like 2