Buying a new bike for the first time for trail, which one?

Posted (edited)

So I have been on a drz400 for a bit and have been riding a few MX 2 strokes (from buddies). capable, but would like something new and of course reliable. I was considering a few bikes

te250

te300

betas

ktm XC or KTM XCW.

I tried my buddies MX bike on the trail (2 stroke) for a while, which originally I was going to buy, but the power delivery is a bit too unpredictable over technical terrain like rocks and stuff. almost like the power comes on way to quick and it is easy to lose control on the bike on those sections. Flat open road, all day. Not sure which is right for me. I have been eying the 300s, but came across a youtube video of TPI having a lot of problems, unless the 2019 are sharpened up. Out of all the research, it seems the 300 husqvarna / KTM is the best for me since it seems to have that low end grunt and predictable power. I have not test rode anything, so not sure where to go at this point; I just want a 2 stroke is all and something that wont break down on me. It seems KTM XC or the XCW TPI 300 and the TE300i TPI has my attention. What do you guys think? Again I love the MX bikes, but the power comes on too quick for me for technical sections and is a little too unpredictable.

Edited by Steves86

Posted (edited)

Find a bike that suits your body size , the new bikes are tall. If you don't want fuel injection find one a few years older or put on a lectron carb. Any of the bikes you mentioned should be great, very dependable , don't forget taxes and add on costs.

The short answer buy a bike made for trail riding if your riding trails.

Edited by Wastate

Correction, find out first if the lectron carb will work with all electronics on the bike.

appreciate it. I think the 300 2 stroke is what I really want. I am just worried about TPI not being reliable after seeing that video. perhaps I should ask in the KTM section. thanks! I am tall, so its all good

appreciate it. I think the 300 2 stroke is what I really want. I am just worried about TPI not being reliable after seeing that video. perhaps I should ask in the KTM section. thanks! I am tall, so its all good
If you just want to dodge jetting/fueling issues, you could do a Lectron carb on a non-TPI bike. This would also be skipping any Fi or oil injection issues, as well as be cheaper. If you're lucky, you can find a 2018 carbed xc-w. The XC bikes have yet to go tpi. From what you said, the TE or xcw might be best. They've had tpi for a year or so, so a possible issue is finding a nice carb'd 1.