Dirt in spark plug channel

I noticed there was mud caked on to the bottom of the spark plug channel (where the plug seats on the engine). The channe is at least 3” deep and I had a few questions:

My plan to clean it is to reinstall the old plug tip the bike sideways, and spray it out with water. Let me know if you think there’s a better way of doing this, especially since I don’t want mud to stop the plug from fully seating. I’ll also try putting Teflon tape on a long bolt/threaded rod so I can clean the channel base without the hex part of the spark plug sitting on it.

It looks like some dirt may have fallen into engine when removing the plug. My plan is to vacuum it out... do you think that will get it out? I don’t have experience working on engines so I’d rather not take it apart, but i will if I vacuumed dust would cause problems.

Outside of not ending up in deep water, is there something I can do to prevent mud/water from entering the channel again?

My bike is a 2014 Crf450R.

Thanks.

Corey

4 hours ago, 1-900-FAT-CHIX said:

Forgot the pics... here they are. IMG_7610.JPGIMG_7623.JPG

I like the long bolt with teflon tape idea. Try compressed air first after breaking it up with a long screw driver. No idea if the vacuum will pull out what has fallen in but once clear of mud, it can't hurt to try.

Maybe put Frog tape over the valve cover over that area before a mud race. It would at least slow it down.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by HRC27

Put the plug back and blast away. But know this, even a cheap pressure washer will push water past the spark plug tube seal on the valve cover. You dont want that thing sealed up. That drain is there to let water OUT.

The OG way to handle this is just fill the entire hole with dielectric grease. Over an installed plug/boot. Never a problem again.

There's applicators big like caulk guns. Not the little toothpaste tubes.

• Helpful 1

Hey thanks guys. Just realized I owe follow ups to a few posts. For this one I ended up cutting a wire hangar in half and using the sharp end to scrape off as much dirt as I could (it was caked on). Removed plug and vacuumed out the dust that got into the cylinder with a nylon line rigged onto my vac hose. Then I used some long q-tips that I dipped in sea foam to get any dust that wasn’t sucked up by the vacuum. At this point it was midnight, I was several beers in, and just stopped caring. Got for the first ride of the year the next day and she was smooth as a sewing machine. Thanks for your advice guys.

IMG_7646.JPGIMG_7647.JPG

Here are the pics. Don’t have pics of my vacuum rig but it was a shop vac using a 3/8” nylon hose taped to a grocery store bag. I held that in my hand to keep it from getting sucked in. Worked pretty well.

• Like 1