How often should you replace your spark plug? XR650L

I have a 2008 xr650l with the stock spark plug I believe. My bikes runs good and I wondering if I should change it to be safe or if it okay to keep running it for a while?

And is there a better spark plug than stock?

A lot will say if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. On the other hand, putting in a new one isn’t going to anything other than possibly make it run a little cleaner and give you piece of mind. I assume you probably have an NGK stock. I would stick with that. Whatever stock is, replace with that. There is a reason that is the OEM plug. My 2 cents

• Like 1

When you buy the plug do you usually have to set the gap or are they pre set?

Just now, bakeyz426f said:

When you buy the plug do you usually have to set the gap or are they pre set?

If you get NGK or Denso, they are almost perfect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martinfan30 said:

If you get NGK or Denso, they are almost perfect.

But always, always, check it...

Of all the brands I buy, sell, and install I'd say 20% of any batch have different gaps than the rest in that same batch.  Although, not super critical on a single cylinder engine, if a fella is taking the time to replace the plug there's no reason to not check the gap. 

• Like 4

But always, always, check it...

Of all the brands I buy, sell, and install I'd say 20% of any batch have different gaps than the rest in that same batch.  Although, not super critical on a single cylinder engine, if a fella is taking the time to replace the plug there's no reason to not check the gap. 

Agreed. And depending on the plug type, you need to be especially careful when gapping iridium or platinum, yes it can be done.
  • Like 1