After all it's just a 150, right!

After all this talk about spring rates, free sag, race sag and working on the YSS shock on the 230.  I got a wild hair to put a tape measure on the CRF150F.  Prior to this, I just (wrongfully) assumed - it's a play bike, it's meant for 100# teens not my 165#, it's good enough for the 130# Girlfriend, it's not worth the time/effort, there isn't much to adjust.

Now, I did do an oil change and the uncork/rejet, swapped tires and lubed a few "easy to reach" moving parts.  But to be totally honest, I really haven't done JACK to the 150.  Been way to wrapped up in the 230 and like I said, "It's just a 150."  Apparently I need to re-adjust my priorities and get to the basics of this bike.

Free sag - 3 inches!!  Say WHAT?!!  I just thought my weight on a small bike made the shock sink that much.  No wonder it bottoms a lot.  And seems hard to get the front wheel off the ground.  Of course this was totally wrong thinking, it's the same shock as the 230, it should have "about" the same rider weight range.  At this point, I freaked and got to adjusting it.  Which means I didn't get a race sag number.  Reset the free sag to 1.25" and got a race sag of around 3", should be a little less for the GF at 130lbs.  Bike feels better.  IMAGINE THAT!!

Moral of the story - It's still a bike, it still has all the same moving parts, it still need to be checked, adjusted and lubed.

Looks like I'll be making a To-Do list for the CFR150F.

• Like 2

Confirmed - a quick ride down the street and it does come up into a wheelie MUCH better.  I'm still not a pro at riding them, but they sure do work better when the bike is set up correctly.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:21 AM, GavMac78 said:

GavMac78, I haven't been on this site is a long time, but somehow found myself on it today.  If you are all fired up to do mods, feel free to go to the link in my signature.  It's full of typos and really silly grammar errors, but there is a lot of info in there that you might like.  Good luck on the mods.

Hi Tone,

Yep, seen lots of your posts and been on your website.  I'm focusing on the 230 for minor mods.  The 150 is going to stay stock besides uncorking and I put a single BBR spring in it to help with the front end dive.  If the GF ever gets more aggressive, I might look into Bruce's Rod and maybe a rebuilding the shock.  But for now she's happy putting along on the fire roads.

Thanks.