Buying a new KTM / husqvarna 300 TPI - scared of issues

So I came across this video and now a bit worried about getting a TPI. I can also get a HUSKY 300i so not ssure if thats a better build although its the same company.

or am I better off getting a 300 XC? also which has a more controllable throttle response for slippery technical applications the 250 or 300? I have been riding my friends MX bike for a while now and its super fun, but the power comes on too fast for rock trails and need something more responsive and accurate (if that makes sense) 

I personally would stay away from the TPI's. I'm not saying they are bad bikes, but instead that I would be hesitant to trust this new tech. I think in a couple of years they will be great, but for now with a few mods the carburated 250/300's are really good. Based on what you are saying I bet you would like the 300 better. I personally have a 250xc and I love it, but it has a pretty big hit and revs out quick. The 300 should have a little more grunt, and be a little mellower throttle response which can help in the technical stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andrewfrankl said:

I personally would stay away from the TPI's. I'm not saying they are bad bikes, but instead that I would be hesitant to trust this new tech. I think in a couple of years they will be great, but for now with a few mods the carburated 250/300's are really good. Based on what you are saying I bet you would like the 300 better. I personally have a 250xc and I love it, but it has a pretty big hit and revs out quick. The 300 should have a little more grunt, and be a little mellower throttle response which can help in the technical stuff.

truly appreciate the response!!  thanks I will go with the 300! 

1 minute ago, 2strokenut said:

The TPIs are awesome, that video is retarded. You will not regret getting a TPI.

Don't listen to people who don't own them. I own both, check my sig.

thanks! is it true what people say, 300 is more of a mellow response and more controllable RPM range? used to my buddies MX bike where you twist the throttle and try to look for the power then BAM it hits which is super fun, but not on technical mud stuff, even with clutching 

15 minutes ago, Steves86 said:

thanks! is it true what people say, 300 is more of a mellow response and more controllable RPM range? used to my buddies MX bike where you twist the throttle and try to look for the power then BAM it hits which is super fun, but not on technical mud stuff, even with clutching 

300 is a more mellow tractable bike than the 250. The 250 is for a more aggressive rider. However, the 250TPI is super super smooth and easy to ride, different than the XC.

Just now, 2strokenut said:

300 is a more mellow tractable bike than the 250. The 250 is for a more aggressive rider. However, the 250TPI is super super smooth and easy to ride, different than the XC.

i did not know this! so 250 and 300 TPI is a more mellowed out power band does this apply to the 250 TPI Husky?

but the 300 XC and 250XC is a more aggressive power come on fast hit ?

Tough call

I just went through the same dilemma

I rode a 19 300 TPI last year and thought it was great.  Smooth and very clean running.  However I thought it had noticeably less low end power and actually felt more like a 250.  I was thinking I was going to get one but all these issues and reliability concerns scared me away.  I ride alpine single track in the middle of nowhere and just don't trust them yet.  Hopefully a few more years will work out the kinks.  I've had great luck with EFI 2 stroke snowmobiles.  

I personally don't like the oil injection on a dirt bike.  Adds unneeded weight, clutter and complexity.  Works great on a sled where you put 7-10 gallons of gas in at a time.  Wish the KTMs were just throttle body injection so you could premix.  Was thinking you might be able to premix with that new GET race kit that moves the injectors?

I ended up buying a leftover 18 250 XC-W carb.  Wanted to try something a little different after (3) 300s.  I almost bought a 350 XC-F but thought it was just too racy for most of my technical single track.  Ideally I would like to have both.  I was able to save almost $2000 vs a 300 TPI. 

250 vs 300 is a pretty minor difference from my riding so far.  The 300 has noticeably more low end power and can be ridden a gear higher.  However the 250 revs quite a bit faster and just feels more responsive and anxious to be ridden on the pipe.  It still tractors along nicely and I actually find it more stall resistant than my 2011 300.  I think the fun factor is a touch higher on the 250.  With less low end power it is actually a little smoother at real low speeds so its hard to say which is better in tight and technical trails.  I need more seat time to make that call.  So far I'm pretty happy with the 250 and the Mikuni carb is working great (with Jarvis mods).  

7 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Remember too that there are more bigger differences between the xc and xcw TPI models in the suspension and gearing. I would focus on those differences as well as 250 vs 300 then decide on TPI (if it sill applies) after the fact. 

dang the more I know, the more I dont know lol. ive heard TPI is more plush

still not sure on the 250 TPI and 300 TPI vs 250 XC and 300 XC  so TPI on the 250 and 300 is more mellowed out vs the XC right? or is it just the 250XC that hits hard?

if the 250 TPI and 300 TPI is mellowed out, which power is the easiest to control on technical slippery mud and stuff? that will most likely be the biggest factor for me...suspensions will be 2nd.

3 minutes ago, GlennE said:

Tough call

I just went through the same dilemma

I rode a 19 300 TPI last year and thought it was great.  Smooth and very clean running.  However I thought it had noticeably less low end power and actually felt more like a 250.  I was thinking I was going to get one but all these issues and reliability concerns scared me away.  I ride alpine single track in the middle of nowhere and just don't trust them yet.  Hopefully a few more years will work out the kinks.  I've had great luck with EFI 2 stroke snowmobiles.  

I personally don't like the oil injection on a dirt bike.  Adds unneeded weight, clutter and complexity.  Works great on a sled where you put 7-10 gallons of gas in at a time.  Wish the KTMs were just throttle body injection so you could premix.  Was thinking you might be able to premix with that new GET race kit that moves the injectors?

I ended up buying a leftover 18 250 XC-W carb.  Wanted to try something a little different after (3) 300s.  I almost bought a 350 XC-F but thought it was just too racy for most of my technical single track.  Ideally I would like to have both.  I was able to save almost $2000 vs a 300 TPI. 

250 vs 300 is a pretty minor difference from my riding so far.  The 300 has noticeably more low end power and can be ridden a gear higher.  However the 250 revs quite a bit faster and just feels more responsive and anxious to be ridden on the pipe.  It still tractors along nicely and I actually find it more stall resistant than my 2011 300.  I think the fun factor is a touch higher on the 250.  With less low end power it is actually a little smoother at real low speeds so its hard to say which is better in tight and technical trails.  I need more seat time to make that call.  So far I'm pretty happy with the 250 and the Mikuni carb is working great (with Jarvis mods).  

thank you! so there is XC-W and XC-W TPI right?

1 minute ago, Steves86 said:

dang the more I know, the more I dont know lol. ive heard TPI is more plush

still not sure on the 250 TPI and 300 TPI vs 250 XC and 300 XC  so TPI on the 250 and 300 is more mellowed out vs the XC right? or is it just the 250XC that hits hard?

if the 250 TPI and 300 TPI is mellowed out, which power is the easiest to control on technical slippery mud and stuff? that will most likely be the biggest factor for me...suspensions will be 2nd.

I'll try to break it down a little more. I don't recall the husky offering / differences so just for ktm:

250 / 300 xc:

Standard 6 speed gear box

AER air forks

Rear suspension with linkage

No headlight / tail light but has stator and wires pre-installed to add if you wish

Typically more suited for faster off road terrain, better for mx if you want to do that too  

250 / 300 xc-w

Lower first and 2nd gear, 3-6 same as xc 

48 xplor spring forks

no-linkage PDS rear shock 

Comes with headlight and tail light 

More suited to slower more technical trail riding, still does ok in faster cross country stuff as well, but not really great for mx (i mean you can play on a track but not really suited for it) 

250 vs 300: 250 revs freer and can hit harder, 300 more linear power with more low end grunt. combined with the xc-w gearing it can tractor up anything as well as any 4stroke. with either you can mess with exhaust and the head to make one more like the other 

carb vs tpI: carb more simple and reliable, TPI better fueling more expensive and complex 

any 17+ carb model is going to need some work, some just changing jets and fixing gaskets, I would suggest replacing it with a lectron or kehin, up to you 

• Helpful 1

Also, something to consider is there is a $750 rebate on 18 250 XCs.  Should be able to pick one up for around $7500. 

I have XC-W but I would of bought an XC if they had that rebate when I bought mine last month.  Figures!

Edited by GlennE

8 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I'll try to break it down a little more. I don't recall the husky offering / differences so just for ktm:

250 / 300 xc:

Standard 6 speed gear box

AER air forks

Rear suspension with linkage

No headlight / tail light but has stator and wires pre-installed to add if you wish

Typically more suited for faster off road terrain, better for mx if you want to do that too  

250 / 300 xc-w

Lower first and 2nd gear, 3-6 same as xc 

48 xplor spring forks

no-linkage PDS rear shock 

Comes with headlight and tail light 

More suited to slower more technical trail riding, still does ok in faster cross country stuff as well, but not really great for mx (i mean you can play on a track but not really suited for it) 

250 vs 300: 250 revs freer and can hit harder, 300 more linear power with more low end grunt. combined with the xc-w gearing it can tractor up anything as well as any 4stroke. with either you can mess with exhaust and the head to make one more like the other 

carb vs tpI: carb more simple and reliable, TPI better fueling more expensive and complex 

any 17+ carb model is going to need some work, some just changing jets and fixing gaskets, I would suggest replacing it with a lectron or kehin, up to you 

thanks so much! so looks like the XCW is what I want