Will an ECU from an RMZ fit an RMX?

From what I understand the 08-09 RMZ’s are very similar to the new RMX’s. I have a 2018 RMX and I was wondering if instead of buying a programmer I could purchase the ECU from an 09 RMZ and install it on my RMX to eliminate the lean running issues. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should that be possibe or am I completely off base here? I can get an ecu from an 09 RMX for 50$. Thanks a lot for any help. It’s much appreciated.

Edited by bradforum2003
Misspelling
  • Like 1

From what I understand the 08-09 RMZ’s are very similar to the new RMX’s. I have a 2018 RMX and I was wondering if instead of buying a programmer I could purchase the ECU from an 09 RMZ and install it on my RMX to eliminate the lean running issues. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should that be possibe or am I completely off base here? I can get an ecu from an 09 RMX for 50$. Thanks a lot for any help. It’s much appreciated.

i have a programmer but very interested in this.

for $50, might be worth trying. although, i don’t know if it would screw anything up.

i have a programmer but very interested in this.

for $50, might be worth trying. although, i don’t know if it would screw anything up.

I know that the exhaust from an 09 RMZ will bolt right on to an 18 rmx with no modification. I’m assuming the ecu will fit I’m just worried about the mixture being completely off for some reason and blowing it up.
  • Like 1

I know that the exhaust from an 09 RMZ will bolt right on to an 18 rmx with no modification. I’m assuming the ecu will fit I’m just worried about the mixture being completely off for some reason and blowing it up.

yeah that’s the biggest concern. although if it was off terribly, it would show signs.

the RMX community sucks. i don’t think there are enough of them around.
  • Like 1

a 2012 RMZ slip-on will bolt up too. that’s what i have on mine. got it free from a buddy. sounds good and saved me cash on buying an aftermarket one.

yeah that’s the biggest concern. although if it was off terribly, it would show signs.

the RMX community sucks. i don’t think there are enough of them around.

Very True. I adjusted the TPS on mine with a multimeter, slightly increasing the voltage to make it run richer. I put 120km on it today and it ran like a top with both air dam and the restrictors out of the exhaust. My buddy that was with me has an exc450 with an aftermarket exhaust and no tuner or tps adjustment and it back fired on decel like crazy.

a 2012 RMZ slip-on will bolt up too. that’s what i have on mine. got it free from a buddy. sounds good and saved me cash on buying an aftermarket one.

Good to know!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Crobertson said:

How can I tell which year model my 450 is

Doesn't matter "if" you're In the US their all the same - except for the VERY first year, those are the ones with the dual map.

FYI, update your sig so we know where your posting from - the advise given will be more accurate.