Jump to content

2006 KX250 CAP BASE VALVE CRACKED

Recommended Posts

So I have a shop currently rebuilding my front forks. They called to say the plastic part under the fork cap was cracked. Looking at new ones, they run around $300. Is this something that for sure needs to be fixed? I imagine so...but thought I'd check. Anyone got one laying around from a bad fork they want to sell? I looked on ebay but didn't have much luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like after a little more research it is more commonly known as the free piston. Doesn't seem like you can buy just the plastic part, but need to buy the whole assembly. Also seems to be no aftermarket parts for this year bike. If someone knows of one that would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a full set of used forks (ideally in better condition than your present set). That’s what I’ve done, since my original set’s upper tubes were trash. I’ve made a prefect set, from two sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ItsJuniorJ said:

Buy a full set of used forks (ideally in better condition than your present set). That’s what I’ve done, since my original set’s upper tubes were trash. I’ve made a prefect set, from two sets.

I had that thought, but I can't even find a set of used 06/07 forks on ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look up Zeta, SDI, Race Tech KYB free piston.

 

Be sure to get the one for your year. If the other one is not cracked, consider getting a pair.

 

Don't ever take your forks there again. JEEZ! Companies have been selling those for around a decade or so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motox367, is that your pic?

 

Do you have more pictures? I could see myself buying a pair from some company in the future. Mine were not cracked at last service, but I know I am somewhat lucky on it. I have multiple sets of those forks, too.

 

If they are yours (or you put them in for someone else's forks you were working on, how did you think they looked?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

Motox367, is that your pic?

 

Do you have more pictures? I could see myself buying a pair from some company in the future. Mine were not cracked at last service, but I know I am somewhat lucky on it. I have multiple sets of those forks, too.

 

If they are yours (or you put them in for someone else's forks you were working on, how did you think they looked?

 

Thanks!

I put them in few sets of forks their really nice and aluminum.  Nice and open instead of closed like oem plastic one. Well worth the 70$ never worry about them again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

Thanks! I assume they are made in China. Are they?

Well ofcourse ? sweet tho i must say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KDXGarage said:

Yeah, that does look good!

I was breaking them 07-09 didn't know about aftermarket ones or even if were available then cause wasn't on internet at that time. Had to order them from Japan 250 a peice.  Thought i was only one breaking them at the time lol . Finally learned to just drill 2 holes and never broke one again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

Yeah, that does look good!

Thanks for letting me know.

No problem ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Look up Zeta, SDI, Race Tech KYB free piston.

 

Be sure to get the one for your year. If the other one is not cracked, consider getting a pair.

 

Don't ever take your forks there again. JEEZ! Companies have been selling those for around a decade or so.

 

 

I have emailed both Zeta and SDI. I cannot find them for the 2006 KX250. They all show KX 450F. They both responded that they no longer make them for the KX250 and they are not compatible with the 450F one. I also emailed race tech but they do not have one that shows it matches a KX 250 either. Still waiting to hear back from them. I spent a good part of the day exploring options and looking for an aftermarket or anything that would fit, and I could not find one. I found the entire assembly for $225 at partzilla, so for now that is what I have ordered to keep things moving, but will gladly return it if someone knows of an aftermarket that will fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, reubenswinks said:

I have emailed both Zeta and SDI. I cannot find them for the 2006 KX250. They all show KX 450F. They both responded that they no longer make them for the KX250 and they are not compatible with the 450F one. I also emailed race tech but they do not have one that shows it matches a KX 250 either. Still waiting to hear back from them. I spent a good part of the day exploring options and looking for an aftermarket or anything that would fit, and I could not find one. I found the entire assembly for $225 at partzilla, so for now that is what I have ordered to keep things moving, but will gladly return it if someone knows of an aftermarket that will fit.

Drill 1/8" hole top and bottom wont crack again 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...