DRZ 400S Stator Noise - fixed. :)

Posted (edited)

Hi all, I thought I should share my experiences with the problem I had with my 2000 vintage DRZ400.  It is very low mileage at 7000 miles but has always had a distinct knock from the stator area.  I thought it was a worn big end bearing but the noise was the same under load and disappeared at a constant throttle setting so I just lived with it for ages (18 months).  

I eventually decided that the loctite fix for the stator was a good idea so set about removing the stator cover and all looked in order, although the 6 stator allen bolts were only snug...not very tight.  I loosened one and noticed as I was working that the stator rotates a bit even with the bolts in place.  They sit in large recesses and this allows the stator to move (rotate)a little backwards and forwards.  I was a little bemused by this but proceeded to apply loctite and fasten everything back together.  The stator bolts were not central in the recesses but I could not see what difference it would make so I put it all back together...  

On starting I was delighted to discover that the engine was as quiet as a quiet thing and all the knocking has gone.  I can only assume that the stator was moving about a bit and causing the terrible noise.   

If anyone has any idea why the stator bolts sit in a large recess I would be interested to hear...  maybe I have done something wrong and it should move a bit but all seems well at the moment and it sounds like I now have a new engine!

Love the bike by the way...image.png.57b762461a7964789a93cfa7a70b6a2a.png

PS..  I have just replaced the bash plate and the engine is noisy again!   My "fix" was not as conclusive as I thought and the bash plate seems to amplify the engine noise quite a lot!!!  The stator is definitely quieter but the bash plate seems to be the main culprit!  

Edited by DRZ4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My next oil change I'll be coating my skid with bedliner- may not be significant but should be a tad quieter. 

Many thanks to Scott... I had some left over sound deadening material so I glued it to the inside of the bash plate and Eureka... lovely quiet engine again.  Works and absolute treat!!!  

:)

• Like 1

This happened to me.last year, rear skid plate bolt (in front of shock linkage)  fell out while riding. Bike started making a horrible racket, thought something went in the motor! So while letting it idle and putting my ear to the motor in various spots I noticed the skid plate vibrating...I grabbed it and the bike went quiet as a church mouse again. Took a stick and shoved it between the plate and frame till I got home that day  

• Like 1