Clarke tanks

Anyone have fitment issues with their Clarke tanks?  I bought one for my 79 IT 175 and the bracket bolts don't want to line up.  Suggestions?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FITZI6_7 said:

Anyone have fitment issues with their Clarke tanks?  I bought one for my 79 IT 175 and the bracket bolts don't want to line up.  Suggestions?

Are they WAY off?  I'd call them and tell them what's up.  I called them and they were of some help on an issue I had.

Are they WAY off?  I'd call them and tell them what's up.  I called them and they were of some help on an issue I had.
Define way off? 1/4 " or more. Im going to try and loosen everything and try again.

I guess if it's 1/4 " and absolutely will not work, I'd call them.  They do have quality problems sometimes and even discontinued some models, almost like they couldn't turn out a good one.

Tanks can sit in a hot warehouse and occasionally "warp" a little. Or maybe they move a little after coming out of a hot mold. My last XR4 tank was a little off at initial installation but after use and getting heat from the engine it "relaxed" and was perfect from that point on.

I bought a clarke for my 97 KX500, it was smaller than the stock unit,  didn't fit right and sent it back to them for refund.

• Helpful 1

Update:  I got it to work.  Essentially I warmed my garage up, took the exhaust off and after letting the tank heat up basically just got the screws started on both side and the frame bolts.  With the tank warm it works.

• Like 1

Ki da hard to find a stock 79 IT 175 tank.

Clarke tanks are ok, but I prefer stock...

11 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

Ki da hard to find a stock 79 IT 175 tank.?

11 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

Ki da hard to find a stock 79 IT 175 tank.

Try Mr. motor cycle. com in Fort Worth Texas, or Bates 1 in DFW .  Bates 1 .com, Mr. Motorcycle .com

• Like 1