Countershaft sprocket loose

Getting to know a new bike I just bought (08 xcw 200) and noticed excessive play on my countershaft sprocket. The c/s itself looks and feels fine very minimal play. But the play on the countershaft axially not rotationally (towards and away from the case) seems excessive. I’ve measured it at around 1.5mm with the chain on. Could be more.

The parts diagram shows a bushing as a part of the assembly but I’m not sure if that’s for the c/s bearing/seal or should be outside the case. Anyone have this issue? Could the prob be solved with a 1mm thicker snap ring or is there a bushing between the sprocket and the case that I am missing? Is it even an issue?

40 minutes ago, 08xcwfl said:

Getting to know a new bike I just bought (08 xcw 200) and noticed excessive play on my countershaft sprocket. The c/s itself looks and feels fine very minimal play. But the play on the countershaft axially not rotationally (towards and away from the case) seems excessive. I’ve measured it at around 1.5mm with the chain on. Could be more.

The parts diagram shows a bushing as a part of the assembly but I’m not sure if that’s for the c/s bearing/seal or should be outside the case. Anyone have this issue? Could the prob be solved with a 1mm thicker snap ring or is there a bushing between the sprocket and the case that I am missing? Is it even an issue?

I'm just going from memory here, but I think that bushing is right behind the sprocket.  I just did mine last year because the seal was leaking.  I had trouble getting the sprocket on far enough to make the snap ring fall into place, it should fit very tight.  

There is supposed to be a O ring behind the bushing that gives it some spring so the sprocket is tight with the clip on. Just get the whole kit of parts (seal, O ring, bushing, clip) from pivot works and refresh everything. It's cheap and likely needs doing anyway.

• Helpful 2

Awesome! Sounds like an easy fix. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

I recall that when I rebuilt the bottom end of my 2011 250SX Andrew Cooksey recommended replacing the CS bearings, FWIW. Hope you got it fixed from the outside!