I NEED HELP ON CHOOSING BETWEEN THESE TWO DRZ400SM BIKES!

Hello everyone I am new to forums and this will be my first supermoto. I used to ride streetbikes but I want something a little less hard on my wrists. I currently have two options I am looking at and I live in Miami FL.

1. 2017 DRZ400SM the bike is stock with no engine upgrades for 5k flat 300 miles on it.

2. 2nd option a heavilty modiffied bike and the price is $6500 currently with 6k miles.

2016 DR-Z400SM "SUPERMOTO"

BRAND NEW TIRES
- FRONT, MICHELIN POWER RS 2CT+ 120/70/17
- REAR, MICHELIN POWER RS 2CT+ 150/60/17
- Lithium battery (light weight) 
- Cylinder Works 435cc big bore kit (
- HOT CAMS STAGE 2 IN. / EX. Cam's
- Ported cylinder head 
- MRD Racing full exhaust ; Pro system shorty
- JD Jet Kit 
- Super SPROX chain & sprockets : 16 front / 40 rear with D.I.D. O-ring chain 
- Floating front Brake rotor with matching rear rotor
- LED headlight housing
- Yoshimura LED fender eliminator kit
- Billet foot pegs 
- Billet chain guards / sprocket cover
- ZX10R brake master cylinder w/ external reservoir 
- ZX10R clutch perch 
- ZX10R CRG shorty levers (black w/ red adjusters)
- Red Silicone radiator hose kit 
- ZETA Billet axle adjuster w/ built in sliders (black)
- ZETA front axle sliders (black)
- GALFER stainless brake lines (black w/ gold fittings)
- ALL brand new OEM plastics 

+MORE
I WILL UPDATE POST AS UPGRADES ARE COMPLETED.....

RECENTLY SERVICED
- W/ MOTUL 300V SYNTHETIC OIL
- FACTORY SUZUKI OIL FILTER 
- Spark Plug
- KN Air Filter 

I am torn becuase I have read alot about the power of the bikes and coming from a streetbike I can imagine i will get bored quickly.  I have also considered KTM but i would prefer something with as min maintence as i will be just riding the bike on the weekends for fun I do no need it for commuting. Any advice help would be very much helpful, cheers!

There is no such thing as a 435 kit.

Porting likely hurt power on a big bore.

No FCR? That's the most important modification. All the other mods are a waste without it.

As they come from the factory the S/SM are gutless. By the time you build them up into big bore strokers with all the goodies they are on par with todays 450 MX bikes. If you want a modified one I would look for a cheap stocker, take it to the frame and cases and build it yourself. That way you know exactly what you have.

• Like 2

It just depends on you! For me the stock bike would be my target. To many people start off with these drz-sm and do the work themselves (Which isn't always bad) but you also have others that are learning to do the work and don't always put everything together right or miss those small details that experienced wrenches know.

Based on what's done, the gearing, and the mileage I'd say that the '16 probably wasn't beat on to hard and even if it was they can usually take the beating as long as you put it together right and maintenanced it properly.

It's never gonna be a KTM/Husky but unless you're a "Street Rossi" it'll be a fun bike. The stock is probably a little too enemic for you though, but with the price difference you'd be able to add some of you preferred power parts on (Fcr, MRD, ETC...) and have a solid practically new bike that you/your preferred Wrench worked on.

Like I said, you have to weigh the cost/benefit of a more expensive but already built bike with some miles or a stock basically brand new bike with the room in price to build it yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Decil Moto said:

It just depends on you! For me the stock bike would be my target. To many people start off with these drz-sm and do the work themselves (Which isn't always bad) but you also have others that are learning to do the work and don't always put everything together right or miss those small details that experienced wrenches know.

Based on what's done, the gearing, and the mileage I'd say that the '16 probably wasn't beat on to hard and even if it was they can usually take the beating as long as you put it together right and maintenanced it properly.

It's never gonna be a KTM/Husky but unless you're a "Street Rossi" it'll be a fun bike. The stock is probably a little too enemic for you though, but with the price difference you'd be able to add some of you preferred power parts on (Fcr, MRD, ETC...) and have a solid practically new bike that you/your preferred Wrench worked on.

Like I said, you have to weigh the cost/benefit of a more expensive but already built bike with some miles or a stock basically brand new bike with the room in price to build it yourself.

thanks for the reply. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

There is no such thing as a 435 kit.

Porting likely hurt power on a big bore.

No FCR? That's the most important modification. All the other mods are a waste without it.

As they come from the factory the S/SM are gutless. By the time you build them up into big bore strokers with all the goodies they are on par with todays 450 MX bikes. If you want a modified one I would look for a cheap stocker, take it to the frame and cases and build it yourself. That way you know exactly what you have.

Yep. All those engine mods won't do much good with the stock bsr36 carb. Even with a FCR39 carb, you might get bored with the SM's power in flat and straight Miami, unless you're into stunting or mild urban hooliganism:rolleyes:. I'd also want to see receipts for the "465" (?) big bore and cams. 

Edit: I'd want to see proof of the "435" (?) big bore and cams.

Edited by 76xtdrvr
  • Like 1

Also no such thing as: - ZX10R clutch perch - ZX10 has a hydraulic clutch, the DRZ is a cable.

While the modded bike has some possibly nice parts, it seems the owner really does not know what he has and is selling it at close to what he may of paid to get his money back.

I'd buy the much cheaper, low mileage one and make it 'your bike'.

• Like 3

Whatever you're wanting this bike to be eventually, get the low mile, stock one.  Then you can do your own mods and know what you're going to get with the extra money you spend.  There's a chance the heavily modified bike was not treated kindly during it's life, nor modified by someone with an understanding of what they were actually doing.

Just my two cents. (and those are Canadian cents - which we haven't had as coins for a long time.)

• Haha 1

I would stick with low mileage stock bike. If the bike with upgrades was just bolt on parts then I would say pick that one. Once someone opens up the motor you never know.

As most others have said, I would buy the stock bike as well. The price difference will allow you to do the mods that will give you reliable increases in power (FCR39, 3x3, uncorked exhaust) that you want to do, and you will know they were done right. (or at least who did them)Too many variables buying a modded bike from someone else you do not know the history of. Last thing you want to do is buy a bike and have the engine grenade on you a week later.

How much are KTM 690 SM's going for in your area?

(690 SM, SMR or even the Duke)

For a fun SM that can handle road speeds and distances, that's where my money would be going.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcd/d/miami-ktm-690-duke-2014/6851725005.html

Seat looks weird but probably comfy.

Edited by DrzDick