Honda brake mod compatibility

I’ve read through multiple threads about this mod but I have yet to find a real answer on what year honda brakes (MC and/or caliper) fit yzs. I’ve gathered certain years fitting certain bikes but that’s about it. To narrow the question down i’m looking to put it on a 2002+ steel frame.

I did break the main bolt that holds on the front caliper on my 01 yz years ago. The dealer I went to sold both yzs' and hondas'. They said yamaha didn't sell the bolt seperate and I'd have to buy the whole assembly. But then said honda had the same breaks and sold them seperate, so that's what I did. Long story short, back then a lot of parts were shared between manufacturers. Hope this helps.

05 - 10  450 caliper and master should be good to go.  The part numbers changed from '10 to '11 but not sure if they are much different, might still be the same.  It looks like ebay sellers show 04 - 17 being compatible so IDK? 

TBO not sure the caliper is any different than the Yamaha one, i believe people liked the Honda brake setup because of the Honda OEM pads and the master.  The line for the master comes out the bottom side horizontally.  One thing to note, if you have shortened bars and hand guards that clamp to the bars things can be a really tight fit with the Honda master cylinder because of the way the hydraulic line comes out.  

I had a honda setup on my 03 steelie so basically same bike as the 02 

Posted (edited)

I own both a YZ125 and CRF250X and have experimented a 'switcharoo' of calipers.

The CRF spec caliper has larger 27mm pistons versus the 22mm of the YZ,

just switching out the caliper by itself doesn't improve braking performance

as the YZ spec master cylinder doesn't move enough volume.

Meaning don't bother unless you're updating to both the CRF master cylinder and caliper.

A GYTR steel braided brake line and a very thoroughly bled system netted me better performance

(especially lever feel) using all YZ components than experimenting with the CRF spec caliper and pads only.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, mlatour said:

I own both a YZ125 and CRF250X and have experimented a 'switcharoo' of calipers.

The CRF spec caliper has larger 27mm pistons versus the 22mm of the YZ,

just switching out the caliper by itself doesn't improve braking performance

as the YZ spec master cylinder doesn't move enough volume.

Meaning don't bother unless you're updating to both the CRF master cylinder and caliper.

A GYTR steel braided brake line and a very thoroughly bled system netted me better performance

(especially lever feel) using all YZ components than experimenting with the CRF spec caliper and pads only.

You're right, you've got to use the whole system.
I've been running a Honda CRF-450R brake assembly with OEM pads for about 10 years now.   First on my 2002 YZ250, now on my 2010 YZ250.

Currently I have the entire Honda system from a 2008 model with a Galfer 270mm non-floating rotor kit for the YZ.
Riding my buddy's 2018.5 Rockstar 450 Husky last week with the Brembo didn't feel any stronger or better than the Honda brake on the YZ.