1976 Honda XL125 oil leak

Recently restored my 1976 Honda XL125 including full engine overhaul/rebuild. Engine runs well, but it leaks oil at the left side crankcase cover and ac generator cover. I have used all appropriate gaskets and torqued bolts to spec. Today, I pulled the covers off and a fair amount of oil came out. There is oil on the coils of the ac generator. Should there be that much, or any oil in there? I have gone through the service manual looking for a oil seal that may have been mis-installed, but there aren't any there.  Anyone have any ideas?

There should be oil in the stator cover area, by my understanding. It is there to lube the gear on the crankshaft that drives the cam chain.

My xl100 also has oil in the stator cover area. When I remove the left crankcase cover, oil drains.

• Helpful 1

Thanks. Yeah I kinda figured there should be oil there. I ordered a new side cover gasket and a rubber gasket for the generator cover, which didn't have a gasket before. I'll check my torque and hopefully fix the leak.

I found those side cover screws would cam out easy, making them hard to torque. I ordered a JIS bit set on eBay to use on the bike which helped a lot, given these are JIS machine screws, not Phillips. 

Thanks. I replaced all of the original bolts with 5mm hex head bolts for ease of torqueing.