Jump to content

Dealer inside info. 300XC TPI

Recommended Posts

Walked in to the dealership today to pick up a sprocket. They changed them and now have holes drilled to allow the sprocket to brake if/when there is a transmission problem per parts guy. 

Then he told me that 2020 will yield an XC in both a 250 and 300. As of right now he says there will be no carb’d version after this year. The 150 will be carb’d along with the SX250. There is also more maps coming out. Right now he says there is a sport version. Later a track map will be available.  

SmokeX

72FD5C6A-D4A6-4D1D-A84D-1EA813CDDA83.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would he amazed if that sprocket ever broke

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mog said:

I would he amazed if that sprocket ever broke

Me too. And I just replaced it. Seems I have one just like it on my 19. 

 

Have you

 herd of the xc tpi as of yet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As Tokyo offroad suggests, clean out with a tap prior to installing the new sproket (and new bolt and spring washer) or it will likely reach the torque spec prior to getting tight enough on the spring washer. I didn't do this when I changed mine and used a pain pen to mark the bolt and washer so I could see if it moved and it did about half a turn. I'm going to back it back out and clean the threads this time. 

Edited by Dirt Rider 12345
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's  pretty hard to imagine that thing breaking, they might also think it will break if a broken chain wedges in between the CS and the slave guard; not very likely me thinks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DRS said:

it's  pretty hard to imagine that thing breaking, they might also think it will break if a broken chain wedges in between the CS and the slave guard; not very likely me thinks.

Looks like factory bikes use the holes to safety wire it to the nut 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

As Tokyo offroad suggests, clean out with a tap prior to installing the new sproket (and new bolt and spring washer) or it will likely reach the torque spec prior to getting tight enough on the spring washer. I didn't do this when I changed mine and used a pain pen to mark the bolt and washer so I could see if it moved and it did about half a turn. I'm going to back it back out and clean the threads this time. 

Yep. Saw that one. Thank you. 

Also new about that in shooting sports when using lock tight on scope rings.  Same thing can happen and ya loose your zero. ?. There goes the match. 

I like that guy. Also that Australian enduro cross training guy are prolly one of my favorites to watch.   

Btw- I ended up lining the yellow factory paint marks pretty good. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Also used lock tight after taking a pretty big chunk off the factory stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SmokeX said:

 

72FD5C6A-D4A6-4D1D-A84D-1EA813CDDA83.jpeg

I think you parts guy is stupid, you never want a cs sprocket to break That would be catastrophic to someones life, not to mention possible busted cases. Those are lighening holes, common in after market.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SmokeX said:

Yep. Saw that one. Thank you. 

Also new about that in shooting sports when using lock tight on scope rings.  Same thing can happen and ya loose your zero. ?. There goes the match. 

I like that guy. Also that Australian enduro cross training guy are prolly one of my favorites to watch.   

Btw- I ended up lining the yellow factory paint marks pretty good. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Also used lock tight after taking a pretty big chunk off the factory stuff.

The oem spring washer will spin no matter, even the dirt tricks will move, and its 3 times the strength of the oem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spud786 said:

I think you parts guy is stupid, you never want a cs sprocket to break That would be catastrophic to someones life, not to mention possible busted cases. Those are lighening holes, common in after market.

LoooL.:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

The oem spring washer will spin no matter, even the dirt tricks will move, and its 3 times the strength of the oem.

Ok. Cool. I never gave it a second thought to the factory yellow marks lining up until I put it back together. Your saying the washer will move or spin but doesnt effect anything. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main thing about the spring washer, is allowing outward flex of the sprocket, this will aggravate wallowing of your counter shaft splines. If it spins alittle , it doesn't really matter. Dirtricks has a lot stronger spring washer, to keep more pressure on it.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Thanks for that. I’m still learning a great deal guys, although what I have learned so far seems quit enormous. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the guy thinks the holes are do the sprocket breaks, hes likely making up the other stuff too.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After he said the holes are so the sprocket is sacrificial his credibility dropped to near zero.  It may be to allow safety wire but that is extra work just for factory teams so I am guessing it is just to reduce weight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  like everyone is saying,  break away sprocket is total BS.  LOL. Was this guy a former used car salesman?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Utah Rider said:

Yeah,  like everyone is saying,  break away sprocket is total BS.  LOL. Was this guy a former used car salesman?

LooooL. Sounds like it. I placed a call to the dealership after posting. I hit 3 for sales hoping to get someone else but he answered. So I just asked him if he had dirt tricks washer in stock. I’ll call again tomorrow and talk to the manager. I’ll also comment on the sprocket. .

 he still might be right. The fact is, if one dealer knows than there are more as well. He said it came from KTM. I have a ride tomorrow too. But I’ll work it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SmokeX said:

Have you heard of the xc tpi as of yet. 

There have been rumors for the past year or more that KTM would go 'TPI only' on 250 / 300 XC models at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spud786 said:

The main thing about the spring washer, is allowing outward flex of the sprocket, this will aggravate wallowing of your counter shaft splines. If it spins alittle , it doesn't really matter. Dirtricks has a lot stronger spring washer, to keep more pressure on it.

fwiw,The superceded ktm washer is the same thickness as the dirt tricks. Both thicker than the old ktm part.  Ordered both and measured. Same.  Most people that have had problems have the curved washer on backward IMO.  Like the idea of safety wiring it though. The piece it sits into is made so it limits the clamp on the collar and oring, so yes the belville washer could move. My crf is the same way but smaller bolt and lighter washer. It's never got loose either, with anti seize or grease and no loctite.  It's a better design than the circlips ktm used to use on the 2 strokes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redrider144 said:

There have been rumors for the past year or more that KTM would go 'TPI only' on 250 / 300 XC models at some point.

Well if it's true then I won't be buying a new bike next year. I wanna give KTM time to iron out all the kinks in the TPI system. I feel like it got rushed out of the door because of the new emission laws in Europe. Give it a couple years to refine the tech and then I'll consider one. Or maybe I'll pick up a leftover 2019 next year if I can find one

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...