Can someone tell me what has failed for this to happen 1999 Cr125r

Posted (edited)

You got water in your ignition cover.  And it has been there for quite a while.  It has corroded everything, including the aluminum cases.  Main bearings are probably shot also.  Water got past the gasket or came in through the vent.  A lot of power washing maybe?

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 1

Wow thats a mess. I have a good OEM crank for that ? . You gotta get that flywheel off and clean shit out of everything then get the correct gasket het rid of that rtv crap

• Helpful 1

51 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

that gasket surface looks like a mess...what's going on there? do you have the correct gasket?

Yes correct but looked fine from outside, and I have never taken that cover off until now 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Willem Matthews said:

Motox367 so crank will need replacing?

Probably not just clean flywheel and stator up change crank seal and clutch arm seal

Edited by Motox367

Probably not just clean flywheel and stator up change crank seal and clutch arm seal

Ok thought this was going to be an expensive fix

You got water in your ignition cover.  And it has been there for quite a while.  It has corroded everything, including the aluminum cases.  Main bearings are probably shot also.  Water got past the gasket or came in through the vent.  A lot of power washing maybe?

Nah no excessive power washing, did discover a small crack in the aftermarket boyesen cover which is most likely the problem, other people have said only need to replace the clutch arm seal and crank seal, will the bearing need to be done too?

What about bearings?

1 minute ago, Willem Matthews said:

Nah no excessive power washing, did discover a small crack in the aftermarket boyesen cover which is most likely the problem, other people have said only need to replace the clutch arm seal and crank seal, will the bearing need to be done too?
What about bearings?

If doesn't have any play or show signs of flywheel rubbing pickuo coil or stator then  no. New crank bearings is always good tho if can do yourself and or afford it.  But shouldn't have to to get ripping again 

My concern would be that the crank is rusted behind the stator in the area of the crank seal.  If that is the case, the rust may accelerate wear on the crank seal which will lead to pressurized gas/air mixture blowing past the seal into the ignition case.

• Like 1

I take the cover off after EVERY time i wash the bike and let it sit open to let it dry. Obviously the slightest bit of humidity inside there will get steam once the engine gets hot which makes things even worse. Anyway - these covers need to be taken off after the bike has seen water and it needs to be cleaned!!!!

Water doesn't only enter through the gasket surface of the cover but also along the clutch cable where it enters the cases...if you have it sealed airthight that's what happens inside sooner or later. My 30 year old engines on the other hand look like new inside there (ridden all the time!).

Most probably it's just cosmetics. You need to clean the contact surface of the flywheel. That's it. The rest might be just cosmetics. The bearings of the crank should not be in danger as they are behind the seal and get oiled through the premix.

What i don't understand is how someone can run a bike this long without ever cleaning/lubing the clutch cable. Looking at the clutch wire tells me it must have been stiff as hell...you had a clutch pull as hard as on a old Maico ;) If you would have done at least some maintenance to the clutch cable you would have taken off that cover and realized the mess sooner or later. I clean&lube my cable on a regular interval (i even used to do it after every time i rode the bike!) but now i'd say at least every other ride. To do that you need to take off the cover anyway. I can only guess how your airfilter looks like...

By the way - i run my ignition covers (both aluminium or carbon) without any gaskets on all my bikes ! There is almost no water entering even though i use the pressure washer every time i rode the bikes...but since i take it off every possible humidity gets cleaned and will dry out anyway.

Give that bike some LOVE and it will reward you with so much more fun and performance!!!

Edited by nino
  • Like 2

I take the cover off after EVERY time i wash the bike and let it sit open to let it dry. Obviously the slightest bit of humidity inside there will get steam once the engine gets hot which makes things even worse. Anyway - these covers need to be taken off after the bike has seen water and it needs to be cleaned!!!!
Water doesn't only enter through the gasket surface of the cover but also along the clutch cable where it enters the cases...if you have it sealed airthight that's what happens inside sooner or later. My 30 year old engines on the other hand look like new inside there (ridden all the time!).

Most probably it's just cosmetics. You need to clean the contact surface of the flywheel. That's it. The rest might be just cosmetics. The bearings of the crank should not be in danger as they are behind the seal and get oiled through the premix.

What i don't understand is how someone can run a bike this long without ever cleaning/lubing the clutch cable. Looking at the clutch wire tells me it must have been stiff as hell...you had a clutch pull as hard as on a old Maico If you would have done at least some maintenance to the clutch cable you would have taken off that cover and realized the mess sooner or later. I clean&lube my cable on a regular interval (i even used to do it after every time i rode the bike!) but now i'd say at least every other ride. To do that you need to take off the cover anyway. I can only guess how your airfilter looks like...

By the way - i run my ignition covers (both aluminium or carbon) without any gaskets on all my bikes ! There is almost no water entering even though i use the pressure washer every time i rode the bikes...but since i take it off every possible humidity gets cleaned and will dry out anyway.

Give that bike some LOVE and it will reward you with so much more fun and performance!!!

Air filter is done after every 5 hours, which is about 2 rides, idk just thought my clutch was the way it was and never lubed it up, idk but thank you, something definitely to learn from, and you said you don’t use gaskets, why is that?

55 minutes ago, Willem Matthews said:

and you said you don’t use gaskets, why is that?

...the covers i use are pretty thight already.As mentioned even after using the pressure washer there is very little water getting in there. And since i open it anyway i see no need to put a gasket which gets worn and lets water in anyway. Worst to protect the ignition is the stock plastic cover with it's rubber gasket...after just a couple of rides it gets out of shape and lets water in big time. Aluminium covers on the other hand are stiff and have a flat base which seals pretty good on the flat case surface...

...the covers i use are pretty thight already.As mentioned even after using the pressure washer there is very little water getting in there. And since i open it anyway i see no need to put a gasket which gets worn and lets water in anyway. Worst to protect the ignition is the stock plastic cover with it's rubber gasket...after just a couple of rides it gets out of shape and lets water in big time. Aluminium covers on the other hand are stiff and have a flat base which seals pretty good on the flat case surface...

Getting thereIMG_3061.JPG

I would think using the correct gasket instead of silicon, looks like it was used in the picture,you would illiminate this issue. Your justifying the wrong. 

I would think using the correct gasket instead of silicon, looks like it was used in the picture,you would illiminate this issue. Your justifying the wrong. 

I haven’t owned this bike for long and the gasket looked fine on the outside and I’ve never taken it off until now

5 hours ago, yz250f 78 said:

There is no gasket keeping all moisture out! As mentioned water will also enter from above where the clutch cable enters the case. If you have the ignition cover sealed all that happens is the moisture which will get in there regadless (!!) will get to steam and slowly get to the point we see in the 1st pic. The ignition covers need to be taken off in regular intervals and need to be checked and cleaned. As mentioned I do it after every wash (every ride). It goes together with checking my airfilter and cleaning/lubing/tensioning my chain. For me it's basic routine.

• Helpful 1

There is no gasket keeping all moisture out! As mentioned water will also enter from above where the clutch cable enters the case. If you have the ignition cover sealed all that happens is the moisture which will get in there regadless (!!) will get to steam and slowly get to the point we see in the 1st pic. The ignition covers need to be taken off in regular intervals and need to be checked and cleaned. As mentioned I do it after every wash (every ride). It goes together with checking my airfilter and cleaning/lubing/tensioning my chain. For me it's basic routine.

There will be a gasket going on
  • Like 1