CRF150R engine in KTM frame

Does anyone know if someone has installed a crf150r engine in a 2008-2010 KTM 144 frame?

My daughter rides the crf150rb right now. She is vertically challenged and petite. I can do all the work to lengthen the swing arm and lace up 18" and 21" wheels. ButI was wondering if anyone has done this before. The idea is to get her the larger dia wheels for rolling resistance and still have a light bike. along with a little longer wheel base. And keep the seat low. 

I am capable of modifying the frame for the engine. That is not an issue. I found a donor already. Just pondering if I should pull the trigger.

ktm 144 2008.png

Nice chassis: light, well suspended, but 19" rear wheel on the SX, 36-37" seat height, and the engine is smaller and a very different shape than the CRF, meaning (as @StevetheSnake said above) a pretty significant amount of surgery required.

Almost any way you do it, going to full sized wheels with a CRF150R/B is going to be a lot of work and to add about 15-20 lbs and a few inches to the height to the bike. 

If you haven't already, you should check out @Danceswithtrees thread on his CRF150RB woods bike build:

It's another road to the same end.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1

I’ve got a frankinbuild bike also. So I attest  to the work and commitment required. Lots. Mine is a BBR framed CRF230-250cc built engine with Racetech CR85 suspension 2” extended swing arm with 18” and a 21”. 

If I wasn’t looking for grief I would at least look into a lowered Beta 300 or something like that maybe?

6F3FDF21-B4F3-400A-8AE1-D4E9054272FE.jpeg

B7E54831-1E50-43A0-A2F5-993B171D621A.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

I’ve got a frankinbuild bike also. So I attest  to the work and commitment required. Lots. Mine is a BBR framed CRF230-250cc built engine with Racetech CR85 suspension 2” extended swing arm with 18” and a 21”. 

If I wasn’t looking for grief I would at least look into a lowered Beta 300 or something like that maybe?

6F3FDF21-B4F3-400A-8AE1-D4E9054272FE.jpeg

B7E54831-1E50-43A0-A2F5-993B171D621A.jpeg

Sweet bike Steve. What's it weigh without fuel? (I'm thinking @woodsryder has his BBR XR200R frankenbike under 185 lbs.) And is that a machined billet swingarm extension? Everything about your bike speaks of careful thought and skillful execution.

I was thinking the OP might consider a lowered Beta 200RR which is already at 215 lbs with a 36" or so seat height which, with 2" drop front and rear and a lowered seat might come in at 34-35" which ought to work. And what a sweet bike that would be!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Plonker said:

Sweet bike Steve. What's it weigh without fuel? (I'm thinking @woodsryder has his BBR XR200R frankenbike under 185 lbs.) And is that a machined billet swingarm extension? Everything about your bike speaks of careful thought and skillful execution.

I was thinking the OP might consider a lowered Beta 200RR which is already at 215 lbs with a 36" or so seat height which, with 2" drop front and rear and a lowered seat might come in at 34-35" which ought to work. And what a sweet bike that would be!

I’m not sure of the weight no fuel but somewhere around 200+ lbs. The 230 engines are a bit heavier. The swing arm extensions are billet CNC machined. 

Good choice on the Beta 200. The OP didn’t say how old she is but a younger gal would no doubt do better on a 200. 

• Like 1

My daughter is 16 years old. 5' and about 105lbs. She struggles to pick up her moms Husky FE250, and her aunts crf230. So I need to keep the bike light for her. She does not like 2 strokes. I wish she did, cuz I would have kept the KTM 200 that I had a cali lic. plate on for her. 

She wants E start on her bike. I told her that will most likely not be in the books for what she can handle.

I wish KTM imported the freeride 250F. IT seems it would be great. 

I think I am going to just machine some swing arm parts to extend the swing arm. Then lace up some wheels. 

I was inspired by someone else's franken bike that used some KTM freeride parts.

honda 230 a.jpg

honda 230 f.jpg

honda 230 g.jpg

honda 230 h.jpg

honda 230.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, J.Johnson said:

IMG_4176.JPGIMG_4186.JPG

Wow what a nice bike. I heard that the freerides dont have top end in power and top speed... Is any of this true because I really like the weight of the freeride at 205! But there are 2 kinds of freeride; gas and electric.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:56 PM, Timothy Hibbard said:

Also what year is that awesome 150R that is for sale??

Sold the 150R. 

The free ride does not have a top end like the MX bikes. But still good enough. Look into the KTM 150XC. It is an awesome bike also. It is just too tall for my daughter. 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, J.Johnson said:

Sold the 150R. 

The free ride does not have a top end like the MX bikes. But still good enough. Look into the KTM 150XC. It is an awesome bike also. It is just too tall for my daughter. 

I always wanted a KTM 105XC; I've heard they are a big wheel supermini with real get up and go! I wonder if its lightness and power are really as good as stated??

On 6/6/2019 at 11:56 PM, Timothy Hibbard said:

Also what year is that awesome 150R that is for sale??

I'm riding a Sherco this year and am going to be selling mine.  It's an incredibly setup 150rb with 18 and 21" wheels and so much more.  You can read about the build here. It'll most likely sell local once I put it up for sale as I was asked countless times last year if I ever sold it to "let me know if you ever sell it!".

20180508_081648_zpsqmh5ano3.jpg&key=3f1a

On 6/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, metaldirtart said:

I put my 150R in a 2006 250R chassis, lowered subframe 1+ inch, shortened forks one inch, best bike I have ever ridden for me anyway!

58384346_2224215360957361_2299129279545344000_n.jpg

Why did you choose the 250r and not the 125r chassis?

How does that 150R motor pull in that frame?  Still plenty of power?

How much modification did the frame need?  

150R engine is way too long to fit in any 125 chassis, I had frames to try, no way! I already have a CR85 in a CR125 chassis, but I was concerned the 150R didn't have the peak torque to pull a full size tire, but no worries, it rips, I am running a 90/100-19 Pirelli MT32 Sandcross, works perfect. Frame needs no modification, just some adapter plates and spacers made, have to use 150 air boot and box, just barely fits!! Tricky thing is extending the kick starter shaft 23mm, and then the lever sits outside the frame line, so I glued on a 1/2" rubber pad to the outside of the frame, no issues so far, GREAT bike!

I always wondered how easy or difficult the 150R motor would fit in a CRF250 or 450 frame (or CR frame).  You should post some pictures of how you modified everything (in a new thread of course, sorry to JJohnson for bird walking on his thread).

-thanks for sharing
Bob

Edited by Garage_Dog

I didn't do a thread because the CRF250R frame I used had already been modified for a YZ250 two stroke but I know it will fall right in a standard frame with the addition of some front/lower adapter plates. Other than the extended kick starter shaft, everything else is just reroute wires, and two small adapter plates for the 150 radiators.