Extra gas can! Long trips

So, I'm going on a poker run and I've seen a lot of people put an extra quart of gas in Gatorade bottles and carry it in a camel back. I know I can get a larger tank, but does anyone know if they make some type of deflatable gas container for this purpose? Just don't like the idea of a Gatorade bottle for back up if I run low on gas....and I know most poker runs allow you to stage gas....but just a question!?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Giant Loop not cheap......  https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/

or you can use a fuel bottle from MSR  https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles.  I would never use a Gatorade bottle or something not designed for holding fuel.  I’d hate to lay down my bike and have a Gatorade bottle leak gas all down my back.

or you can go to your nearest Starbucks — yes I said Starbucks....

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Like the msr bottle idea.....saddle bag style just doesn't suit our riding style.,.really looking for something in a camel back!

Giant Loop not cheap......  https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/
or you can use a fuel bottle from MSR  https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles.  I would never use a Gatorade bottle or something not designed for holding fuel.  I’d hate to lay down my bike and have a Gatorade bottle leak gas all down my back.
or you can go to your nearest Starbucks — yes I said Starbucks....

A full size camelback, Klim riding pack can accomodate a 1 gallon roto pax. I occasionally put a gallon on my back and after I've ridden off a gallon of fuel I empty the pack into the bike. 

Gatorade bottles are really pretty stout and hold up well to gas, plus, they are cheap, if not free. I don’t see the issue.

• Like 3

If I feel I will need extra gas I'll use a Smartwater 33.8 oz plastic bottle. Thin and will stand up to gas. It's my ultimate reserve, and when used properly will get you along way towards the truck/camp..

yeah I used a couple clear plastic cranberry juice bottles from a supermarket as my gas can when I raced up to 2012, yes the same bottle from 2010-2012, they work a treat an held exactly 1 gallon, which is all I need at the pits for the next loop...so yeah, gatorrade bottle will work just fine, certainly as a one time use

• Like 1

For occasional long rides I use a 1 gallon antifreeze jug bungeed to the number plate. An extra long main tank vent hose is routed thru its cap to the bottom of the jug. Gas will siphon from the jug to the main tank until the jug is empty.

Or at a stop move gas from the jug to the main tank.

For less than a gallon there are number plate aux tanks that also auto syphon into the main tank.

https://www.thehellteam.com/hebo-auxillary-fuel-tank.html

hebo-aux-tank.jpg

Also Acerbis: http://www.acerbis.it/motorsport/en/plastics/fuel-tanks/auxiliary-fuel-tanks#a_page

• Like 1

I've got one of these Touratech 1/2 gallon bottles for when I just am worried about an emergency shortage.  Easily fits in my Klim and Leatt backpacks, in one of the sides of my Giant Loop Mojavi saddlebags, and will also fit (very snugly) in my Ogio fanny pack.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-2-Liter-Spare-Fuel-Canister?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6diXppHa4QIVUP_jBx1WOw4DEAQYASABEgKa_fD_BwE

But honestly, I don't regularly ride a bike with a stock tank.  Bigger is better.

Life's short. you have not lived until you have ridden across the Baja Peninsula with two extra gallons of fuel strapped to you in Sunny Delight jugs, antifreeze, whatever holds liquids. 230 miles with one fuel stop in the middle of nowhere. No other way to make it all the way even with oversize tanks (all the 450s with 3.1 tanks ran out 20 miles from La Paz)

Safest? Rotopax for large volume. MSR for small volume. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I believe if you do a search someone did some testing and the collapsible platypus water bladders seem to survive having fuel in them and take a reasonable beating. 

55 minutes ago, 1.21GW said:

I believe if you do a search someone did some testing and the collapsible platypus water bladders seem to survive having fuel in them and take a reasonable beating. 

See my post, basically the same thing. Well worth the cost.

• Like 1

I've used Gatorade bottles in the back pack before, the trick is to dump them in the gas tank asap not when your out of gas this way you're not carrying them for long.

I have a handful of quart Gatorade bottles just for this purpose but I only bring them when it's going to be a VERY long day of riding.  Any time this extra fuel has been needed in the past, it's not for me but for others with small tanks or aging/poorly maintained equipment (leaks, cracks, etc.) although I suppose anyone can have an unanticipated equipment failure at any time.  Anyway... it is rare that I bother packing extra fuel in this way.  But when you are way out in the sticks, it is better to be prepared and not need it than need it and be unprepared.

• Like 1

friens

On 4/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, tpendley said:

So, I'm going on a poker run and I've seen a lot of people put an extra quart of gas in Gatorade bottles and carry it in a camel back. I know I can get a larger tank, but does anyone know if they make some type of deflatable gas container for this purpose? Just don't like the idea of a Gatorade bottle for back up if I run low on gas....and I know most poker runs allow you to stage gas....but just a question!?

Thanks!

giant loop mentioned,  Friend uses a cheaper dromedary water bladder for fuel. Has held up several years.    Never had a problem with using gatoraid or motor oil bottle, even taped to the front fender, fill them full, no airspace, and they don't build vapor that makes them leak.  If you need to carry a lot use big jugs with handles, tie em together with tow rope and saddlebag them over the seat.  Dumpster dive the towns gas station or laundry mat for jugs.  Throw em away when done.

• Like 1

Use a front mounted aux tank for long rides holds close to a gallon or gas by Acerbis, works good just a bulky and ugly looking