I just had new tires put on my 2012 Yamaha xt250 they put wheel weights on the back and front. It didn't come stock with wheel weights so why would they have to put him on now? I read somewhere is on the internet for a dual purpose bike you really don't need wheel weights only for street bikes.

11 minutes ago, jmader07 said:

I just had new tires put on my 2012 Yamaha xt250 they put wheel weights on the back and front. It didn't come stock with wheel weights so why would they have to put him on now? I read somewhere is on the internet for a dual purpose bike you really don't need wheel weights only for street bikes.

Sounds like they did a very through job and balanced the wheels for you.

Did you have them done at a street bike shop and how much did it cost to have them put the new tires on?

Edited by filterx
  • Like 4

I would call it a bonus and give the shop thumbs up.  I don't balance unless I expect to exceed 70mph on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I don't balance my KLX250 tires and have rode 90 mph without a twitch. I do however put them on a home made stand and tune them for run-out. I have always done this with my own tire changes on dirt bikes as well.

• Like 1

The shop did a good job and you aren't happy about that?  ?

• Like 1

I balance all my tires, a minute and a few dimes, lead stick-ons. No negatives.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, jmader07 said:

Those aren't wheel weights. They are tracking devices meant to monitor your riding.

If you don't buy a forest pass, renew license tabs, or respect forest gates, they'll have helicopters upon you.

The dealers are snitches, and part of the government plot. If you wanna neutralize this invasion upon your privacy, my company specializes in stealth off road riding and for a small fee and an annual subscription, we can have you literally INVISIBLE within minutes. Just visit www.ghostbikesnorthamerica.com  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

The shop did a good job and you aren't happy about that?  ?

I'm not saying I'm not happy just wondering how necessary it was. Your going to laugh but I really hate the look of a hole bunch of weights on my rims lol anyways it's a good thing to have rather then not.

8 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Those aren't wheel weights. They are tracking devices meant to monitor your riding.

If you don't buy a forest pass, renew license tabs, or respect forest gates, they'll have helicopters upon you.

The dealers are snitches, and part of the government plot. If you wanna neutralize this invasion upon your privacy, my company specializes in stealth off road riding and for a small fee and an annual subscription, we can have you literally INVISIBLE within minutes. Just visit www.ghostbikesnorthamerica.com  

No, that's not it at all. Everybody knows the weights are there to hold the wheels down for more traction.:crazy:

• Like 1

It's a nice thing for them to do although with my type of riding they'd be useless in minutes as dirt and sand starts collecting on the rim right away. Still nice to have though... i imagine on nice dry days where nothing collects they'd be nice to have. I remember my 2003 KX250 would shake the rear of the bike up and down when Id rev it over a jump. I remember thinking "good grief that has to be affecting the rear suspension when I am bolting around the track"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jmader07 said:

I'm not saying I'm not happy just wondering how necessary it was. Your going to laugh but I really hate the look of a hole bunch of weights on my rims lol anyways it's a good thing to have rather then not.

Find more important things to be concerned about.  Wheel weights are not one of them.

I used spoke weights on my dual sport. I think its better to have them than not on any dirt bike as they are going to be more unbalanced via the rim lock to start with. Won't get perfect balance with spoke weights but closer than nothing and I think stick-ons would fall off pretty quick going though mud

If youre riding street with a rim lock or 2 i consider it manditory. I ran stick ons but had to keep tape over them or theyd come off. Spoke weights are bullet proof so far.

I run a bead of silicone seal around stick on weights, haven't lost any so far.

12 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Find more important things to be concerned about.  Wheel weights are not one of them.

Woe, woe, woe, don't be putting people at risk of getting spoke skins...  We are at least dealing on the level of functionality here...

• Haha 2

I learned to balance dirt bike wheels from a long time dirt racer. Italian national MX champion, multi year Senior class BITD winner, among other accomplishments. The shop was prepping his bike and I noticed the wheels were balanced. He said he always does it.

That was over 25 years ago, and he still balances his wheels.

• Like 1

Balancing absolutely makes a difference, both on and off road.  Much less vibration and a smoother ride after I balanced front and rear.

Doesn't have to be exact - just enough to balance out the rim lock, more than anything. 

I originally balanced my wheels for the street, but was amazed at how much it helped all around.

• Like 1