350 excf - Pulling fuel pump

Did a little pre-season maintenance today and have a few questions. I think I will start different threads for each. Hopefully no one is annoyed.

I had the tank off and thought I might as well check the in tank filter. I know there have been some issues with black contamination from the fuel pump and I just wanted to do a visual check(20 hours right now). I started to remove the pump/filter and found it to be a little difficult. I am sure I can get it out but was not so sure that getting it back in was going to be easy. I decided to pass since I did not have a lot of time.

For anyone that has done it, how hard is it to get the pump/filter assembly back into the tank? I am thinking that getting the studs to line up where they come out thought the bottom of the tank might be a bit tedious. Any comments?

Also does anyone want to weigh in on an after market in-tank filters? Seems stock ones may split occasionally. The generic metal ones people have substituted may not be rated for sufficient pressure (as per everyone's favorite guy at KTM/Husky). He is selling his own solution but price is ridiculous. 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, pmckenna said:

Did a little pre-season maintenance today and have a few questions. I think I will start different threads for each. Hopefully no one is annoyed.

I had the tank off and thought I might as well check the in tank filter. I know there have been some issues with black contamination from the fuel pump and I just wanted to do a visual check(20 hours right now). I started to remove the pump/filter and found it to be a little difficult. I am sure I can get it out but was not so sure that getting it back in was going to be easy. I decided to pass since I did not have a lot of time.

For anyone that has done it, how hard is it to get the pump/filter assembly back into the tank? I am thinking that getting the studs to line up where they come out thought the bottom of the tank might be a bit tedious. Any comments?

Also does anyone want to weigh in on an after market in-tank filters? Seems stock ones may split occasionally. The generic metal ones people have substituted may not be rated for sufficient pressure (as per everyone's favorite guy at KTM/Husky). He is selling his own solution but price is ridiculous. 

Thanks

This was my in tank oem filter after 72 hrs. To put everything back in the tank, I wrapped a lenth of safety wire around the bottom threaded female end, and ran the other end of wire through the square hole (infront of seat), qnd simply fished it through. Then insert pump assembly in and pull the two tabs thinto their holes.

Replaced with another oem filter.

20190210_234917.jpg

20190210_234938.jpg

Did my in-tank filter a couple days ago at 60hrs. It was pretty dark. I also did the safety wire trick, and it still took a lot of jiggling to get it back in place.

Funny enough, for me it was harder getting it out vs getting it back in. Since it is weighted and doesn't really have anywhere else it can go in the tank, it basically slips right in to the correct area, then a little jiggling till it pops out enough to get the nut on it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pmckenna said:

Thanks

If you've ever tore into the stock oem filter, you should be more concerned about it handling the pressure, cause its very cheap filtering. Mushy and could collasp. But all these filters mentioned are all built the same, PAPER corrugated mesh .   Im actually running the 3095 filter in his video, its an 11 micron,  I wish it was a 25 micron or higher, just for longer life potential. Im concerned 11 micron might clog easier.

But his filter looks nice, but its pretty elaborate design, I mean just install a decent filter, and should be a life time item, as long as not throwing junk in your tank.