Jump to content

FMF Gnarly fit and finish

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, i just recently ordered an for gnarly for my 2013 250xc after smashing the stocker. My forks and shocks are with my suspension guy getting revavled so I haven't been able to test it out yet but I have to say so far I'm not impressed.  I have bought and ran countless different fmf exhaust on countless different bikes.  With that being said, the fit and finish on this header is terrible.  First of all it looks like it was rattle canned silver with some krylon. Similar to the stock header. Second of all, the mounts tabs were off significantly.  I have never had such a difficult time mounting an exhaust in my life.  I have always been a happy customer when buying from FMF bit this has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I can deal with it being difficult to mount, but the plating looks awful.  Has anyone else ran into this?

 

(Sorry for the formatting and any poor grammar. I am typing this from a cell phone)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rparrish2 said:

Hey guys, i just recently ordered an for gnarly for my 2013 250xc after smashing the stocker. My forks and shocks are with my suspension guy getting revavled so I haven't been able to test it out yet but I have to say so far I'm not impressed.  I have bought and ran countless different fmf exhaust on countless different bikes.  With that being said, the fit and finish on this header is terrible.  First of all it looks like it was rattle canned silver with some krylon. Similar to the stock header. Second of all, the mounts tabs were off significantly.  I have never had such a difficult time mounting an exhaust in my life.  I have always been a happy customer when buying from FMF bit this has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I can deal with it being difficult to mount, but the plating looks awful.  Has anyone else ran into this?

 

(Sorry for the formatting and any poor grammar. I am typing this from a cell phone)

I have a 2013 300XC so I'm familiar. Never an issue on finish. Always stellar on many bikes/brands. As far as fit remember... It's a six year old bike. The mounting tabs have taken more than one hit in their life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hezzdown said:

I have a 2013 300XC so I'm familiar. Never an issue on finish. Always stellar on many bikes/brands. As far as fit remember... It's a six year old bike. The mounting tabs have taken more than one hit in their life. 

My bike has less than 50 hours on it. Moreover the mounting tabs are movable with rubbe bushings and it was still difficult to mount.  How is the plating on your pipe? Mine looks as dull as the stocker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rparrish2 said:

My bike has less than 50 hours on it. Moreover the mounting tabs are movable with rubbe bushings and it was still difficult to mount.  How is the plating on your pipe? Mine looks as dull as the stocker.

I have the FMF/KTM power parts version of the pipe. Not the gnarly like you but the finish is the usual FMF. How bad is it on yours?

IMG_20190320_170641013.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I got for the 18' was pretty good. the welds weren't grinded perfectly smooth and catches on the cloth when you polish it and the inside was pretty rusty when I got it, but otherwise is fine. Sounds like you might have just gotten a bad one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, hezzdown said:

I have the FMF/KTM power parts version of the pipe. Not the gnarly like you but the finish is the usual FMF. How bad is it on yours?

IMG_20190320_170641013.jpg

Mine has the same finish as yours does which is typical on a stock ktm pipe or a power parts pipe but mine isn't.  It's not a big deal. I'm sure it will perform fine.  But I was expecting a high polished nickel finish and that's not what i got.

Edited by rparrish2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people no longer like the highly polished look

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mog said:

Most people no longer like the highly polished look

I've never concerned myself with what most people like.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mog said:

Most people no longer like the highly polished look

@Chaconne will polish pipe for no charge.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mog said:

Most people no longer like the highly polished look

Yea I like the "factory" look with heated welds to get that nice color pattern but don't want to have to worry about keeping it oiled and rust free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Yea I like the "factory" look with heated welds to get that nice color pattern but don't want to have to worry about keeping it oiled and rust free

My 250 came with one that wasn’t kept up, has a nice layer of corrosion on it. I think I’d go plated if I were spending my own money on one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Yea I like the "factory" look with heated welds to get that nice color pattern but don't want to have to worry about keeping it oiled and rust free

I like the factory look as well but the upkeep on them isn't worth it on a woods bike imo.  This is especially true with a pipe guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might have gotten one that slipped through QC... as far as the finish you could polish it yourself as the nickel is there, just needs to be buffed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redrider144 said:

@Chaconne will polish pipe for no charge.

Went and looked at TPIs today. I don't think I would pay the extra for the 6-day I thought it had a bigger tank. Dealers are selling those bitches I know that for sure, claiming 0% problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

Went and looked at TPIs today. I don't think I would pay the extra for the 6-day I thought it had a bigger tank. Dealers are selling those bitches I know that for sure, claiming 0% problems.

The 6 Days is for swingers with extra cash they feel like pissing away.

Wait for the XC version of TPI, so you'll have AER forks.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...