What’s the difference wr250f vs yz250fx?

Other than the lights?

I don’t race,  I don’t jump, I don’t go very fast. I’m 45, 175, and 5’8”. I like to keep up with my boys, yz250f & xr200, but not race them. Some single track, mostly 2 track, once a year sand. I was all set on a WR over a YZF, but the X caught my attention. The idea of less weight really appeals to me.

I just sold my TTR 250. Looking for more power, better suspension. Either bike will be an upgrade. 

Posted (edited)

I have a 2019 YZ250FX — To my knowledge the main differences between the FX and WR include (quieter exhaust, throttle stop, different ECU, a bit softer suspension and the air box contains a restrictor).  You can essentially turn a WR into an FX.  You can purchase a different ECU with the GYTR Competition Kit, remove the throttle stop screw, remove the air box restrictor and open up the exhaust.  On my FX I needed a quieter exhaust with a spark arrestor so I purchased a Lexx Slip On and the trail saver insert.  My FX has a different map installed making it more stall resistant.  I can slip it into 1st or 2nd and lug low nearly stopping and it still chugs.  Coming from a TTR you will definitely notice the peformance upgrade with the 250.  The throttle is a bit touchy and takes a little getting use to.  Of course you can calm the bike down a little by changing the map and installing a G2 throttle tamer.  Really though it just takes a bit of riding to get use to the crisp response.  All of the Yamaha YZ and WR bikes are a bit tall. That can be fixed if needed by lowering the suspension a bit and if more lowering is needed you can add a low seat.

Edited by R1peacock

Also the WR250F has a fan on one of the radiators, a spark arrestor, a headlight and a tail light. The GYTR Competition kit is worth the money.

Its nice having a fan to keep the engine cool during the slow technical stuff.

R1 and Rider covered the differences well; I can only add that the WR comes with different tires and front wheel (hub, lower fork clamp and fork guard to accommodate the speedo).

The lack of a spark arrestor on the FX has me leaning towards the WR. 99% of what we ride is Forest Service. Although the GYTR upgrade would probably cancel out the cost of adding a slip on exhaust with a spark arrestor to the FX.

I keep hearing the Yamahas are tall bikes, but the specs for the Honda seat height are only .3" shorter. According to online specs my boy's yz250f is just a tad taller than the WR/YZFX, and I fit on it fine. 

The upgrade kit for the WR is about $110. Google, wr250f competition kit