Clicker changes vs revalve (when to revalve)

Hey,

So I'm at 22-23c at my trax shock and 20-21c on cone Valve fork on my sxf 450 2018. I feel I lost suspension travel, bike sits lower in the stroke because I have opened up the clickers that much but not sure there is actually anything to do about it. I like the feel of it.

Should I have them valve softer Soo can close clickers instead to around 15-range? Or will make little or no difference?

It's fine

• Like 1

Don´t you have the spring pre-load adjuster for the fork? Either that or increase the oil level slightly.

You could get the fork to ride a bit higher by re-valving but since you are within appropriate clicker range that feels like the wrong way to solve you issue.

2 hours ago, snoogans said:

Don´t you have the spring pre-load adjuster for the fork? Either that or increase the oil level slightly.

You could get the fork to ride a bit higher by re-valving but since you are within appropriate clicker range that feels like the wrong way to solve you issue.

Dont like the spring preload, makes the fork stroke feel ultra long and lose feeling. 

Guess I'm just fine tuning.

"I like the feel of it."

That's the only thing that really matters.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, robw122 said:

"I like the feel of it."

That's the only thing that really matters.

Agree, but should also last for 25min and it is beating me up when tracks are very rough. So just checking to see if there is any more to get out of it :)

Then it probably isn't setup correctly.

Almost anything can feel good when a track is smooth, not everything feels good when the course is beat up.

Adjust it so that it feels good when the tracks are rough, and see what it is like when the tracks are smooth.  My guess is it will still feel good, or at least the tradeoff will be less than what you are working with now.

I only do my suspension testing and setup when I can ride on a beat up track or off road section.  If I get out to the track and it has been prepped and watered, then I don't even think about getting out a screwdriver and going near a clicker.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Those clicks on a ktm are not near the end of the range. Not the same as other brand forks.

23 hours ago, eastreich said:

Then it probably isn't setup correctly.

Almost anything can feel good when a track is smooth, not everything feels good when the course is beat up.

Adjust it so that it feels good when the tracks are rough, and see what it is like when the tracks are smooth.  My guess is it will still feel good, or at least the tradeoff will be less than what you are working with now.

I only do my suspension testing and setup when I can ride on a beat up track or off road section.  If I get out to the track and it has been prepped and watered, then I don't even think about getting out a screwdriver and going near a clicker.

I pretty much never ride the first hours when a track opens, and prefer going to those that has just barerly been touched after race or previous practice. Never test on prepped tracks.

I think of the clickers like I do the air or fuel screw on a carburetor.  Its for fine tuning "part" of the range of operation.  Re-valve is more like re jetting the carb.  Some advice I was given very early on when it comes to adjusting your clickers is to make big changes.  Start at stock settings to get a good feel for the baseline suspension performance.  Then go way out on the clickers and see how that feels.  Then go back to stock to compare.  Now go the other direction and turn them way in, although there is typically a minimum number of clicks you should be out.  Go for another test ride.  You should now know what direction you need to go from stock settings.  This will make the changes very noticeable, and that will help decide what direction is correct for you.  You can then fine tune from there.  I would also start with rebound before moving on to compression.  The rebound circuit will effect the compression circuit.       

Suspension need free bleed but not too much...clicker above 15 sounds too much for me. You ride low and get bit up when the track is rough, go figure.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:45 AM, texasthierry said:

Suspension need free bleed but not too much...clicker above 15 sounds too much for me. You ride low and get bit up when the track is rough, go figure.

Was with one of the factory suspension teams the other day doing testing for a friend that run Nationals, they stated that clicker between 10-20 is usable and ok.

Was with one of the factory suspension teams the other day doing testing for a friend that run Nationals, they stated that clicker between 10-20 is usable and ok.
When people say usable , 20 clicks is usable but it just has less impact at say 24 Vs 20 ,it's less of a change than 16-20 , but if it's good at 24 it's good
  • Like 2

I'm running mine at full soft