Yz250 1984??

Hey guys I just picked up a yz250 1984 well I think it’s a 84,

It’s got drum front and rear.

It had 39x on the bore.

What’s throwing me it has a white frame.

What’s the difference between the 1983 and 1984??

Thanks.

16 hours ago, bradmc said:

Excellent thanks.
Any thoughts on the white frame??
84 have a red frame don’t they?

1985 Merican yzeds just got their red frames, 84 on back had black, get it back n black? Mr. Rick Johnson demonstrates on the 84 yammie, below is a 82-83 is yammie, difference is plastics, then 85 changed em red and white...dab1cc67a06862d53843592bebe15ced.thumb.jpg.c1213c908bc7aa2ad480a9284c43bd42.jpgyamaha_yz_80_1982___rm_80___cr_80___kx80___ahrma_9_lgw.jpg.d2c129c3458bfdd1ce4ed4922caa44d4.jpg

Mine has white/red plastics and the exhaust is on the right. I have noticed that 83’s are on the left.
It doesn’t look like it’s been repainted there’s a few spots where the paint has been rubbed through and there is no red or black.
Just the gray (I assume under coat)and white,
I was wondering if it’s a 85 frame.
Would you know what the colour code is for the red? Or the name of the colour? I’ll get it painted red.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, bradmc said:

IMG_7688.JPG

Ok Hoss, you guys did have Red n White frames, We Mericans had to wait until '85, you have no front disk, so it is correct for it being an 84, your frame is correct. One way to tell if the frame has been sprayed, look on a wear spot, carefully scrape the white off with a razor, if you see red then the frame is incorrect. I ain't keen on you British folk dirt bikes, but chances are it could have been red or black, but from here, the white sure looks nice, and the bike looks like a fun project. Keep us folke updated on your progress, caint wait on the outcome....125051715.jpg.d0d3972558b33cd608a93041959234b8.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks cr.
No brits here though I’m in Australia. But yes I will definitely keep you posted.
The frame is with the sandblasters atm.

• Like 2

Bit of progress today,
I got all the new bearings pressed back into the motor and all the alloy parts cleaned and clear coated.
I painted the motor a few weeks ago and got a wossner piston and had the bore machined to take it.
I think I’ve got all the parts now!!
Oh and rebuild the forks today as well.
Now just have to sort out witch gears are best (have three motors in bits) and start putting the motor back together.

And got the frame back last week too. Hope it’s the right red.

IMG_7781.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_7787.JPG
Bad light but here’s the frame.

• Like 1

Curious about the rebuild you are gonna do on this bike. Frame and engine got a nice color back again I see!
At the moment I'm restoring also a YZ 250 , but then 1 year younger(1985) with the disc brake in the front.also keeping a topic open. ( 1984/85 yamaha yz restoration). 

• Like 2

Curious about the rebuild you are gonna do on this bike. Frame and engine got a nice color back again I see!
At the moment I'm restoring also a YZ 250 , but then 1 year younger(1985) with the disc brake in the front.also keeping a topic open. ( 1984/85 yamaha yz restoration). 

Nice how far through are you??
Finding the colour was the hardest part as someone had painted my frame white and I could get it matched
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:54 PM, bradmc said:

Nice how far through are you??
Finding the colour was the hardest part as someone had painted my frame white and I could get it matched

Received my frame and wheels back from the painter last week:). Also have new spokes and nipples made by a company in my home country( Netherlands). And have my tank sanded back to a nice white color again, for the rest cleaned some small parts. 

My first plan is to make a rolling frame again, and then want to start on the engine rebuild. Since I'm abroad for work quiet often, it's gonna be a project for multiple years before its finished:).

• Like 3

On 5/21/2019 at 1:21 PM, klephaas said:

Received my frame and wheels back from the painter last week:). Also have new spokes and nipples made by a company in my home country( Netherlands). And have my tank sanded back to a nice white color again, for the rest cleaned some small parts. 

My first plan is to make a rolling frame again, and then want to start on the engine rebuild. Since I'm abroad for work quiet often, it's gonna be a project for multiple years before its finished:).

Say Klephaas, you aught to do a resto visual thread like Mr. Brad, us Vintage nuts would love to see it also!1985.jpg.78e9604179e865bfec3690e8fa4bddd4.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys.
I was hoping I would get my crank back on Friday but the parts didn’t turn up to put it back together so hopefully Monday,
Anyway I started on put some parts back together,
I was putting bearings back in the swing arm and the all balls kit only had two needle rollers,
I had a look at the schematics on Mr cycles and there is another bearing in there that didn’t come in the kit not sure if you guys have come across this??

• Like 1